Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall fans cleared of Hillsborough taunts

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Interesting this, taken from my local rag. Wonder whether Liverpool thugs are using Hillsborough as an excuse...

Lions Fans Are Cleared

A Millwall supporter's group has welcomed a police report which clears fans of inciting crowd violence with chants about the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool fans ripped up more than 70 seats and hurled them at police during the Merseyside club's 3-0 Carling Cup win at The Den last month.

Some Liverpool supporters said the trouble was caused by distasteful chanting from the Millwall section, but a Metropolitan Police report has rejected the claim.

In his report, acting Chief Superintendent Dean Higgins refers to terrace banter between rival fans, no worse than at other matches up and down the country.

No specific mention is made of the disaster at the Sheffield ground, where 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives in April 1989.

Supporters' group the Lions Trust has welcomed the report, claiming the Hillsborough connection was exaggerated by an anti-Millwall section of the media.

Trust chairman Bob Asprey said: "The way this was picked up by the national press was no more than we have come to expect. They need no encouragement to knock the club and its fans.

"I was at the game and didn't hear any songs about Hillsborough.

"There was not much evidence to suggest we were at fault. The Liverpool fans ripped up 70 seats but we didn't hear much about that.

"The police report confirms what I though in the aftermath of the trouble, the Liverpool fans had no justification for reacting in the way they did."

A police spokesman said a report had been produced for the FA, to clear up the allegations surrounding the match.

Millwall Football Club said it would not comment until the FA has carried out a full investigation into the trouble.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems like there is more than a little truth in what Boris Johnson wrote in the Spectator then.

Typically scouse looking to blame anything but the real issue.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Beach Hut said:
Seems like there is more than a little truth in what Boris Johnson wrote in the Spectator then.

Typically scouse looking to blame anything but the real issue.

Don't go there, Son.

Take note of the last sentence and follow suit.

"Millwall Football Club said that it would not comment until the FA has carried out a full investigation in to the trouble."

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously most of us were not at the match but..

I'm just wondering if the Liverpool hoolies (and most teams have them) felt obliged to "put on a show" as they were on the telly?

They knew that other "Firms" would be watching!

They seemed to have a fair few at the den as they had fans in the lower section as well.

I don't know either way but the media reported the Millwall taunts the next day. Now they can't be substantiated!

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The FA "carried out a full investigation" into Naziism among Brighton fans because they thought we were singing "Zieg Heil" instead of "Seagulls".

The Met Police's official investigation can't have been any less shit, can it?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
The FA "carried out a full investigation" into Naziism among Brighton fans because they thought we were singing "Zieg Heil" instead of "Seagulls".

The Met Police's official investigation can't have been any less shit, can it?
???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes I rememebr reading about tha infamous FA Investigation - lasted 8 months I believe.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Got a scouse mate who was bragging about the amount of "lads" they had at Millwall. Think they were trying to make a mark.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
eastlondonseagull said:
You're f***ing joking?!! When was this?! :ohmy:

A while back, think late 80s

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep, I remember that. it was the FA and police together. Eight months, £330,000. And all because 'Seagulls' sounds a bit like 'zeig heil'. Oh, and a report utterly condemning the notorious 'Caveman Crew'.

That's the Caveman Crew, who, um, threw celery around for a bit...

SAKE.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My friend was there.

Millwall fans were chanting about Boris Johnson.

Liverpool fans started smashing up the away end.

SOME Millwall fans started singing about Hillsborough.

Liverpool fans had been sniffing about all afternoon and evening trying to cause trouble around South East London.

There were about 200 Millwall waiting outside for them who still had not dispersed when my mate left the pub at 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here