Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help me pick a new LCD TV

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Rangdo, the 'Z' model of that Tosh is even better/more dosh. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Don't you start. I've heard about that too. Better refresh rate and contrast. I'll be bankrupt in a matter of days at this rate.....

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Where could someone buy such a set? Despite many rumours, a 40ZF has not been launched has it?

I read about it on a few forums when I was looking for reviews but I couldn't find anywhere selling or even talking about a release date. Best I found was "2008 ish"

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Where could someone buy such a set? Despite many rumours, a 40ZF has not been launched has it?

Only mainland Europe so far, IIRC - was looking a few months back.

I went with a fat 'Z' model in the end. Tis very sweet.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Google Toshiba 37Z3030

Cheers. Looks good. Maybe even technically better but that one hasn't got the thin frame of the XF has it?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cheers. Looks good. Maybe even technically better but that one hasn't got the thin frame of the XF has it?

No maybe about it.

And no it hasn't got the think frame, which is why I called it the 'fat' model.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Have always had one important question re: these massive LCD TV thingies - if you push the screen with your finger, does it go all squidgy and watery like on my old Donkey Kong Game & Watch? ???

800px-Donkey_kong_game_and_watch_open.jpg

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
If you can go to £800.00 go to Richer Sounds London Road, Brighton. You can get the LCD that i have got. Phillips 42 Inch With Pixel Plus & 1080p & 24 FPS ( Frames Per Second). Top Picture. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I bought an LG yesterday from Richer Sounds. Pretty impressed so far.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Nice :p I'm sorely tempted now... :love:

Me too - makes my big ol` box in the corner feel very sorry for itself. Question is - should I wait til aforementioned big box breaks - or go for one of these new huge super duper tvs anyway: does it make that much difference? Opnions welcome.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'd go for Toshiba or Panasonic, personally. Samsung's are tacky, imo. Sony's overpriced. Never seen an LG, tbh.

1080p overkill for most - 1080i will do yer, and save you a lot.

Get as big as your partner will allow. You get used to the size within a week anyway.

However, terrestrial broadcasts can look ropey on anything above 37in.

Disagree about Samsung - love my 40inch LCD.
Sort of agree about the 1080i/p, but having just bought a high-def camcorder, wish I had 1080p to match.
Agree about size - my 40inch is starting to look small!
Never watch "terrestrial broadcasts" - always use Sky box, HD when possible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me too - makes my big ol` box in the corner feel very sorry for itself. Question is - should I wait til aforementioned big box breaks - or go for one of these new huge super duper tvs anyway: does it make that much difference? Opnions welcome.

Go for it. NOW. You will not regret it.
One of my mates has still got a boxy old CRT in his living room. Watching TV there is like waking up in 1973.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The 40FX355 is now £699 at Dixons and Currys which is a hell of a lot cheaper than when we were discussing this last!

Free Delivery too and there's a few voucher codes knocking about that will probably save you another £20 or so.

Currys - Shop for Plasma and LCD Flat Panel TV - TOSHIBA 40XF355DB 40 HD Ready 1080p digital LCD TV

I got one of these last week. Noticed it when I was browsing in Currys and went home and ordered it online. Like you say I used the voucher code for £20 off but also bought it through Quidco and using a cashback credit card so it cost me a grand total of £625 which was incredible considering my mate bought one in Currys about 6-8 weeks ago for £999. I've been well impressed so far. If there are still any about (as I'm assuming they're all trying to offload end of line stock) I can strongly recommend it. This TV was £1700 when it was launched mid 2007!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree about Samsung - love my 40inch LCD.

Well I wouldn't expect someone to buy a 40in TV and then tell everyone better models are available.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003

I got mine few weeks ago from Sunderland's its lush if a bit pricey. :love: only had old 32" CRT before but the 40" already looks small

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here