Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this a scam? pretty sure it is

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A friend is trying to buy a ridiculously cheaply price BMW 118 from an address in Scotland owned by a woman who is in Greece at the moment. She is willing to have the car shipped down on some dodgy sounding ebay set up once he has paid the money into her ebay account. he can then test drive the car and reject it if he doesn't like it. Sounds to good to be true and quite a clever scam imo as the car was advertised on ebay on a buy it now.

This is part of what he has received from her, what does NSC reckon? All the stuff below has come through in an ebay logo'd look and lay out.

After verifying the trustworthiness of the seller and the availability of the Vehicle for immediate shipping, we have approved your buy it now transaction and offered you, as the buyer, full purchase protection for the amount you agreed on with the seller.

The seller ******** started the transaction over the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. eBay require the payment to be done through wire transfer service to a Vehicle Purchase Protection Program verified agent.

You are receiving this e-mail because you are going to buy a vehicle and your seller requested to use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. The eBay Vehicle Protection Programs offer a set of services that build protection into every step of the vehicle buying process. Some of the elements are automatically included when you buy a vehicle covered by the program element (not all elements are available for all vehicles) while some of the elements are available for a small fee. The eBay vehicle protection program is your safety net in the rare occasion that something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
eBay usually offers the buyer the option to use PayPal - if you buy by PayPal and the goods are significantly not as described, PayPal will refund you.

If PayPal is not offered, and neither is cash on delivery - steer clear.

Remember the saying: "Buyer beware"

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, just confirmed my suspicions, I'll let the guy know it WAS too good to be true

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
A quick search on ebay came up with absolutely no matches for vehicle payment protection. If they don't offer the service it has to be a scam.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...alternatively contact her and say that you will be in Scotland on business next week and would like to pop round and test drive the car at the sellers location, if they come back and say it has been sold then I would smell a rather large rodent and lose interest very quickly.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So why would ANYONE want a BMW 118??? Possibly one of the most undesirable cars known to man.

I'd agree but I like Alfas so my opinion is not valid :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just out of interest, has your mate ever been lucky enough to win on one of those scratch cards through the door or successfully allowed any nigerians to transfer billions of money out of their country through his account!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here