Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice (serious)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I've been following the Albion for over 40 years, late sixties to now. By far and away the best times (imho) were 76/77 to 78/79. But, amazingly, I didn't go to that many games. I loved watching Wardy (especially 76/77 when we ripped sides apart infront of 20k plus at the Goldstone), but stupidly didn't realise it wouldn't always be like that.

Now, 30-odd years later, we are playing football to match the glory days (and in some ways, bettering it).

If I was 15 again now I might think - great stuff, I might go to a few games and fit it around all the other cool things I have to do. I'd very probably think that the good times are here to roll, and life in an Albion shirt will always be great.

However, no matter how fantastic Falmer is, things may not always be this good.

So - my advice is - make sure you watch this stuff NOW. Try to go to every game if you can, because the quality of our football is something else. Don't make my mistake, and end up for the next 30 years wishing you could go back in time and watch Wardy at his best just one more time!!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've been following the Albion for over 40 years, late sixties to now. By far and away the best times (imho) were 76/77 to 78/79. But, amazingly, I didn't go to that many games. I loved watching Wardy (especially 76/77 when we ripped sides apart infront of 20k plus at the Goldstone), but stupidly didn't realise it wouldn't always be like that.

Now, 30-odd years later, we are playing football to match the glory days (and in some ways, bettering it).

If I was 15 again now I might think - great stuff, I might go to a few games and fit it around all the other cool things I have to do. I'd very probably think that the good times are here to roll, and life in an Albion shirt will always be great.

So - my advice is - make sure you watch this stuff NOW. Try to go to every game if you can, because the quality of our football is something else. Don't make my mistake, and end up for the next 30 years wishing you could go back in time and watch Wardy at his best just one more time!!

Can't argue with any of that.

I went today with both my boys, 26 & 23, and that's the best football I've ever seen from The Albion.

Smile on my face throughout the first half from watching the great football we were playing, and that they were both enjoying it as well !

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I've only been going to Albion games for about 8/9 years or so and have been served up turd most of the time. I think i'm still in a state of SHOCK that we can play football as well as we did today.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Sage words! Sometimes the youth of today have too many other better things to do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The most exciting football in my Albion supporting 'career' was the second half of the 1996-97 season, the last at The Goldstone, when we HAD to win every game to have a chance of staying in the league and, in all likelihood, surviving as a football club.

It wasn't the classiest brand of football but it was bloomin' exciting. When we were attacking the North goal, generally in the second half of each game, we had Storer and MacDonald flying down the flanks supplying the ammo for Baird and Maskell to finish off and try and save the Albion.

The stuff I've seen recently, notably the second halves against Plymouth and Charlton are in a different class completely - it is truly outstanding stuff that Poyet has got them playing.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I keep asking my dad whether this football, standard, results performances etc is what it felt like between '75 - '80.

I'm so chuffed that this all appears to be coming together at the right time, that the genuinely 'big' club with swagger and style is there, alive and kicking.

IF, IF we make it to Falmer as Division 3 champions, (which lets face it, is what it is...) and Gus stays, the team stays and is added too then I really can't see much stopping us.

I thought that Charlton a couple of weeks back was the most complete away performance in my experience (Back to 1986/87 season) until today. Today our total football was so natural and there for all to see. The sending off was irrelevant, we already had them chasing us all over the park, unable to get the ball off us. That Peterborough team will be there or there abouts when it counts in May, and not only that they will have got there by following good football philosophy, not the stuttering semi route one tripe that Parkinson had Charlton playing.

Tonight i'm proud to support the Albion because I genuinely recaptured something that has been missing since Archer et al destroyed our club, and its going to sound weird given everything we have been through since then, but tonight I feel like as a unit, the club, the team, and the supporters are united with something special about to happen.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm another who lived through the Golden Age of that great team of the late 70's and I've seen some fantastic players and performances (as well as years of misery!)

however, i don't think i've ever witnessed the football of the last 2 away games before where we have totally outplaed 'good' opposition. maybe they need to change the rules and bring on another ball because Charlton & Boro barely got a look in with our tippy-tappy kick ball!

What's different? Well, every player, to a man, is comfortable on the ball and everyone works so hard off the ball to give passing options for the player with it. it's also clear that the management have given the players the system and confidence to play so the odd stray pass is not a disaster.

I love this football and can't wait for the next game. going to boro, and even Charlton, i had no fear that we would do well. What's also obvious is the players are loving it too and there are so many smiles on the pitch and players don't just play but perform and entertain.

I'm still on such a high after yesterday!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It wasn't the classiest brand of football but it was bloomin' exciting. When we were attacking the North goal, generally in the second half of each game, we had Storer and MacDonald flying down the flanks supplying the ammo for Baird and Maskell to finish off and try and save the Albion.

Cor, i feel a wee bit emotional. Yeah them were good days. Two wingers, big man small man. Every goal was from a cross, always in front of a gurgling North Stand. Stuart Storer seemed to be about two foot taller than everyone else and wore blue cycling shorts around legs like oaks.

I'm going to try and go to every game, i can't believe i've booked Hartlepool, feels like i've regressed about ten years (the last time i went there i made a conscious decision that i had to stop going to so many away games during a trip back on the costa bus when time seemed to stand still.)

But yes, this is orgasm football that demands swallowing.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
JITW - I love the way you put 'serious' in brackets hoping the NSC faithful won't rip the wee wee. Made me laugh!:laugh:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
wise words JitW and FG. I'm from a similar era and watched all home and some away matches back in the mid to late 70's, and then all home and away during Mickey Adams' first spell - both very successful times. I also trudged to the home and away matches during our less successful times.

The most dramatic was the season that ended at Hereford - but most of the season had nothing to do with football, just survival.

In the late 70's i thought our success would last forever and even when we were relegated in '83 I expected to bounce straight back. The football in those days was physical, the pitches were poor, and the fans matched the stadiums - raw, intimidating and not pretty. To succeed in those days you needed a big tough centre half (Fozzie), tough tackling midfielders (Horton and Clarke) and a goalscorer (Ward).

During Mickey Adams' first spell you needed a similar formula - a tough bully at centre half (Cullip), nasty workmanlike midfielders (Oatway and Carpenter), someone to deliver free kicks (Watson) and Zamora.

Our current system - high pace, passing, keeping possession, and wearing teams down -is far prettier on the eye and less dependent on individuals. I recall Mullery, Taylor, Adams, Taylor, Coppell having little interest in the reserves or youth set up - but Gus seems to have the whole club playing the same way.

A bit early to judge but the current set up has the potential to surpass all our previous achievements as long as Gus stays.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's heady stuff at present, and as Jim says, make the most of it, because history says it won't last, but also remember it was only a month ago that we were being battered by................Tranmere.

The tactics and players have really gelled at present, so get down to Withers on Tuesday and support the team, and if they don't win 3/4-0, don't berate them!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I too saw the 'Glory Days'. But I really don't remember us being so 'complete'.
The football I'm witnessing now is, I believe, the most satisfying I've ever experienced.
I don't want to take anything away from those great teams of the past, but this is different gravy. Gravy!!!!, this is a red wine jus. I've been to Carlisle, Tranmere, Charlton and Peterboro' this season, and its been incredible. Especially the last two.
It's been mentioned on other threads, about giggling ridiculously about what is being produced in front of us. Looking at your mates, and they're all opened mouthed along with yourself. Sometimes, shaking their heads, not believing our beautiful play.
I'm your typical pessimistic Albion fan. Just waiting for it all to go tits up. But, I honestly believe with Gus and Tanno (and let's not forget Charlie, an inspired addition), this is only the start.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I missed the first few games of the season due to me finishing off a masters.I also didn't go to many games at the end of last season, my dad died and I very much fell out of love with going to football without him.

So, I've just started going again, bought a "late" season ticket and just like having not seen someone for a few years, I was blown away by the change.

Didn't see Charlton, but our performance yesterday was astonishing - all made the better because I'd had a couple of beers and it was my birthday.

It's Adam that's most impressed me - I remember him having a mare at QPR away a few years ago and he's a completely different player.

Can't remember actually enjoying a performance like that - on it's merits, since the era of Ward.

Bollocks if people think that's over playing it.

Funnily enough it reminded me a little bit of Leeds when they overcame that huge points deficit and nearly went up. We (like them) were still trying to get a goal when the game was "over". Absolutely ruthless. My brother made the point of us playing like Liverpool in e70s when you couldn't get the ball off them. Point well made.

Only thing I'm sad about is that fact that my dad isn't seeing us playing like this.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wasn't there to witness footballing perfection yesterday, but I was at Charlton. The fact that not many people were suprised that we took them apart made me more proud as a Brighton fan than I've been. When we won the back to back titles, that was amazing but I was too young to really appreciate how good that team was. The brilliance of the current team is amazing and I love watching us at the moment and watching us beat good teams with something left to spare. We didn't even need LuaLua to thrash Peterborough at their own ground. What does that tell the rest of the league about this Brighton team? What are the rest of the league thinking when noone can score against us? We've been away to Plymouth, to Peterborough and to Sheffield Wednesday and the only team who could score against us out of the relegated teams from last season was Wednesday, who remain the one and only club to beat us so far.

I feel nothing but pride in the Albion at the moment, and after the last few seasons of being inferior to certain other teams, the results this team is achieving are just perfect. You can't mock a team 8 points clear at the top of the league.
:bowdown:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Weren't some fans booing the team three weeks ago against Bournemouth due to the style of play?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I too saw the 'Glory Days'. But I really don't remember us being so 'complete'.

We weren't,... we were a competant team,.. with some skill,.. but we were also very physical, team didn't have time on the ball against us we got stuck in,.... Wardy did the flair bit up front,..

That performamce on Saturday was a joy to watch, not just because we won easily, but we shofted a good Peterborough team around the park at will,.. they had no answer but to follow us the best they copuld, and their best was found wanting to be frank,... we do and should fear nobody at present,....... there is only one fear we should take seriously,... that is the one where Gus gets lured away before his job here is done,....

I for one would love him to say he will not leave until he gives us the first season at Falmer,.... minimum,.... that would settle the nerves a bit.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
like a lot of others I was there for the great times years ago
listening on Saturday bought back those times
and the times in between were sometimes just abject misery
but thats in the Albion supporters job description

enjoy it and if it lasts great .........................next season might be the greatest in the clubs history and I should be around to enjoy it ...................even if from afar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here