Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying display over Upton Park on Saturday

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
close.jpg

Officials have denied any breach of safety after two planes were pictures apparently flying perilously close together over east London.
The aircraft - a DHL plane and a Japan Airlines jet - were reportedly seen flying over West Ham's Upton Park ground just after 1500 GMT on Saturday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660644.stm

Looks damn close to me!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
"The spokesman said there was no question that either aircraft had strayed from its proper path, which should mean there was a distance of some two and a half miles between them. "

2 and a half miles my ass!

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
dodgy angle etc, the plane is atleast 1000 feet below it.

Seagull Stew

Springal said:
dodgy angle etc, the plane is atleast 1000 feet below it.

If that were the case, the plane furthest away must be about the size of France!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
My girlfriend was at home the other week and called me to say a passenger jet nearly hit our block of flats. I thought she was exagerrating but the next week the local paper run the story and I saw pictures of the plane clipping the tops of trees in the park across the road. There were loads of eyewitnesses yet the offical line was they were aware of the aircraft flying extremely low but there was never any danger.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
y2dave said:
My girlfriend was at home the other week and called me to say a passenger jet nearly hit our block of flats. I thought she was exagerrating but the next week the local paper run the story and I saw pictures of the plane clipping the tops of trees in the park across the road. There were loads of eyewitnesses yet the offical line was they were aware of the aircraft flying extremely low but there was never any danger.
Some genuine questions:-

1. Where do you live
2. Name of local paper
3. What type of A/C & which airline

thanks in advance:wave:

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
The DHL plane is a 737 or small airbus by the look of it. The JAL plane is a 777.

To put this into context, the 777's engine is the same size as the fuselage of a 737.

Basically, it's the camera angle - the 737 looks far too big against the 777 for them to be right next to each other.

good picture tho

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
chicken run said:
Some genuine questions:-

1. Where do you live
2. Name of local paper
3. What type of A/C & which airline

thanks in advance:wave:

Live in Martins Heron (Bracknell area). Pretty sure the paper was Ascot news (freebie) but don't have it to check. Not sure of the type of plane but it was Egypt Airlines.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Photos like this crop up from time to time because they look all dramatic and dangerous, but it's just the angle it's taken from they're not actually that close.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Martlet said:

To put this into context, the 777's engine is the same size as the fuselage of a 737.

Agreed, it's probably the angle. But there's surely no way the engine of a 777 is the same size as the fuselage of a 737!

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
"Agreed, it's probably the angle. But there's surely no way the engine of a 777 is the same size as the fuselage of a 737!"

Sorry - monday morning! for size please read diameter. Point still the same though - if you look at the engines on the 777, they're half the size of the diameter of the smaller plane.

"To fully appreciate the performance capability of the powerful 777 turbofans, it is necessary to view these gigantic power plants, whose diameter is no less than that of a full Boeing 737 fuselage. To power the new 777-300ER, with its 340 tonne take-off weight, the thrust produced by the two new GE90-115B turbines, the only engines on offer, had to be raised to the world record of 511kN."

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Wouldnt surprise me. Airbus pilots train where I work and half of them cant even work a laptop! I have honestly been asked how to eject the CD and how to turn it off! :eek:

tom678

Dec 13, 2009
http://richardwiseman.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/planeparallelsmaller.jpg

“A Lufthansa 747-400 and a United Airlines 757-20 on simultaneous approaches. The separation requirement for flying parallel and simultaneous approaches is 225 meters. These two aircraft are at a safe distance for the approaches they are each flying. Due to the Lufthansa 747 being three times larger than the 757 plane and being slightly behind , gives us this incredible optical illusion.”

just anotehr example of optical illusions in aviation.. the one on this chat is no different.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
http://richardwiseman.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/planeparallelsmaller.jpg

“A Lufthansa 747-400 and a United Airlines 757-20 on simultaneous approaches. The separation requirement for flying parallel and simultaneous approaches is 225 meters. These two aircraft are at a safe distance for the approaches they are each flying. Due to the Lufthansa 747 being three times larger than the 757 plane and being slightly behind , gives us this incredible optical illusion.”

just anotehr example of optical illusions in aviation.. the one on this chat is no different.

Unusual first post, bouncing a near 4-year-old thread....

Welcome to NSC nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here