[Albion] João Pedro's Penalties to end 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
also for any statos or those with good memories, can anyone remember the last time we scored a rebound from an initially missed/saved penalty? can remember conceding one at southampton last season i think but can’t for the life of me remember us scoring one before today

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
pleased he got the inevitable eventual miss out the way given the subsequent rebound. wasn’t even that bad a penalty, their keeper was just playing really well and full of confidence today
He was totally outsmarted by the keeper there because he fooled him into thinking he was going the other way. They had obviously been doing their homework

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
He was totally outsmarted by the keeper there because he fooled him into thinking he was going the other way. They had obviously been doing their homework
I'm not sure about the totally outsmarted bit.

All teams will be doing their homework, but the reason the keeper went the right way could have been more mundane. An analysis of Pedro's previous pens reveals that a keeper would give himself the best chance of making a save if he were to go low to his right, where 53% of Pedro's pens are clustered.

See post 93, and the place map from @Papa Lazarou.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
also for any statos or those with good memories, can anyone remember the last time we scored a rebound from an initially missed/saved penalty? can remember conceding one at southampton last season i think but can’t for the life of me remember us scoring one before today
I believe that Ward-Prowse goal at Southampton is the only instance of such an occurrence in an Albion first team match during the Amex era.

I'm fairly certain the last time Albion scored such a goal was on April 30 2011 at Withdean when Ashley Barnes scored from his saved penalty in the 3-2 defeat to Huddersfield - BBC: Brighton 2 - 3 Huddersfield

Prior to that, it would have been Glenn Murray's second goal against Millwall in a 4-1 win at Withdean on November 1 2008 (from around 27 seconds):-

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
pleased he got the inevitable eventual miss out the way given the subsequent rebound. wasn’t even that bad a penalty, their keeper was just playing really well and full of confidence today
It's interesting what gets classed as a good or bad penalty. In terms of saveability(if thats a word) yesterdays was quite saveable. It wasn't too powerful and it wasn't particularly close to the corner. However, with Pedro being able to send the keeper the wrong way 90% of the time it's usually a good penalty. But he didn't send him the wrong way yesterday so as a one off penalty it wasn't a great one.

I'll be interested(but nervous!) to see if the miss has any effect on his technique the next time he takes one.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's interesting what gets classed as a good or bad penalty. In terms of saveability(if thats a word) yesterdays was quite saveable. It wasn't too powerful and it wasn't particularly close to the corner. However, with Pedro being able to send the keeper the wrong way 90% of the time it's usually a good penalty. But he didn't send him the wrong way yesterday so as a one off penalty it wasn't a great one.

I'll be interested(but nervous!) to see if the miss has any effect on his technique the next time he takes one.
He gets it on target and hits it hard enough. If there is a save he stands a chance of a rebound

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Given how often he sends keepers the wrong way, I wonder if the Villa keeper simply did the complete opposite to everything his instincts were telling him to do ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Before this penalty, only 1 in 8 keepers had guessed the right way. Now it's 2 in 8. But we still scored from it anyway.

I don't see this as a 'Pedro getting outsmarted' scenario or 'we're being found out' (teams tend not to share their analysis of rival teams), so I think it is just a blip.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Before this penalty, only 1 in 8 keepers had guessed the right way. Now it's 2 in 9. But we still scored from it anyway.

I don't see this as a 'Pedro getting outsmarted' scenario or 'we're being found out' (teams tend not to share their analysis of rival teams), so I think it is just a blip.
edited for you

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
edited for you
Good point. On 22% of occasions (previously 18%) the keeper guesses right. So for 78% of the time, the keeper gets it wrong. Note that he has to choose right or left, as none of Pedro's penalties go down the middle.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Good point. On 22% of occasions (previously 18%) the keeper guesses right. So for 78% of the time, the keeper gets it wrong. Note that he has to choose right or left, as none of Pedro's penalties go down the middle.
You need to go back to school, methinks…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports