Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Times

Instead, Labour plans to speed up the rate at which asylum claims are decided and to strike return agreements with other countries.
OK and good.

But they aren't going to grant all asylum claims, are they. :shrug:

Considering asylum claims seems a big improvement on attempting to send everyone to Rwanda.

Coupled with other measures, engaging with other countries.....why couldn't the Tories do that? Because if asylum were managed it couldn't be weaponized!

One of the oddest things I can ever recall, is the Tories allowing a 'crisis' to emerge then using the existence of it as a stick with which to beat labour. They come up with batshit 'solutions' then accuse Labour of supporting 'uncontrolled immigration' when the 'solutions' are dismissed as batshit mad by labour.

"Well, how are you going to guarantee success then, eh, eh? ???".

It's as if the Tories are so short of ideas they are inventing fake crises (Brexit/boats) to shine a light way from their own uselessness.

Like in 1984, when the proles were constantly misdirected away from their plight by the endless reporting of wars against Eurasia. Or was it Eastasia? Who knows? But we have to keep on making sacrifices in order to ensure victory.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So the plan is to have a functioning asylum system that processes claims in a timely fashion instead of the mess we've got now.
Do you think that the system can cope with figures that we currently see, or do you fear a backlog might build?
Screenshot_20240503-195235~2.png

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Coupled with other measures, engaging with other countries.
To be honest Harry, whilst (like you) I welcome any attempt to solve this issue in a humane and organised manner, I can’t believe for one minute that there are any ‘return agreements’ to be struck with any countries at all. I wonder if there are any such agreements anywhere already in place? I would file that part of the statement along with the £140billion green spending plan.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So the plan is to have a functioning asylum system that processes claims in a timely fashion instead of the mess we've got now.

As with all ideas and plans, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Let's see how it works in 'real life'.
It used to work in 'real life'. Why would it not work again?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Have you responded in relation to the figures above regarding the daily boats?

What have we 'coped' with this before?
There are currently no safe and legal routes to travel to Britain to claim asylum - Priti Patel closed the last of them down.

We only have the increase in boats because we stopped the previously functioning legal asylum processes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It used to work in 'real life'. Why would it not work again?
I'd love to join in the convo, but I have potty on ignore for repeated offenses against logic, reason and honesty. And punctuation? Yes, and punctuation.

Whatabout that? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are currently no safe and legal routes to travel to Britain to claim asylum - Priti Patel closed the last of them down.

We only have the increase in boats because we stopped the previously functioning legal asylum processes.
I salute your indefatigability.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Not QUITE my question but as I expected.

We'll see, Starmer will have it sorted by Christmas no doubt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ooh, you'll like this from them then: "What have we 'coped' with this before?"
I bet you get an 'ironic' thumbs up from potty for that :lolol:

Why does he remind me of Cartman so? ???

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not QUITE my question but as I expected.

We'll see, Starmer will have it sorted by Christmas no doubt.
OK

The annual number of asylum applications to the UK peaked in 2002 at 84,132 - we didn't have much of a backlog because we had a functioning system for processing them.

In 2023, 67,337 applications for asylum were made in the UK - we now have a backlog because the system is not functioning properly.

So, yes - a functioning system can cope with the numbers crossing in boats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here