Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] SNP what next ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whatever happens from here I hope its bad for the SNP, their nationalism is as toxic as Little Englanders.....
Is it?

I don't remember seeing any toxic messaging coming out from the SNP about England in general. There are plenty of comments about being governed by the politicians in Westminster, but I can't say I blame them for being anti this tory government.

Everything I've heard from them has been legitimate conversation about the best way for Scotland to be governed.

I've got to say I have huge sympathy for the Scottish people in being dragged out of the EU having voted heavily in favour of staying and can see why they want to be independent in the face of the horrific tory government elected by the English. I personally would rather the union stayed intact, but if there were a clear mandate for them to leave one day, we shouldn't try to stand in their way.

The next government needs to massively engage the nations of the UK, as Wales, Scotland and NI, could all be offski if we continue to ignore their interests.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it?

I don't remember seeing any toxic messaging coming out from the SNP about England in general. There are plenty of comments about being governed by the politicians in Westminster, but I can't say I blame them for being anti this tory government.

Everything I've heard from them has been legitimate conversation about the best way for Scotland to be governed.

I've got to say I have huge sympathy for the Scottish people in being dragged out of the EU having voted heavily in favour of staying and can see why they want to be independent in the face of the horrific tory government elected by the English. I personally would rather the union stayed intact, but if there were a clear mandate for them to leave one day, we shouldn't try to stand in their way.

The next government needs to massively engage the nations of the UK, as Wales, Scotland and NI, could all be offski if we continue to ignore their interests.
If a member of the Union wants to leave all the members need to be in favour of it, we can't have this huge decision being dictated by 2.5% of the UK population.

That aside with Johnson has gone, Sturgeon has gone, they're a busted flush

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is it?

I can't speak for @nicko31 but I took a close interest in the SNP and their supporters as I live now in an staunchly Plaid Cymru area of Wales. As I alluded to earlier, the SNP and PC paint themselves as welcoming and progressive, scratch the surface though and there is a toxicity that may suprise you. Westminster or, more bluntly, 'the English' are to blame for basically everything, perjorative comments about 'the English' are widely accepted. Toxic is the perfect word for it.

I could be wrong about the SNP and Scotland, in real life they and their supports bear no resemblance to their online persona but I doubt it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't speak for @nicko31 but I took a close interest in the SNP and their supporters as I live now in an staunchly Plaid Cymru area of Wales. As I alluded to earlier, the SNP and PC paint themselves as welcoming and progressive, scratch the surface though and there is a toxicity that may suprise you. Westminster or, more bluntly, 'the English' are to blame for basically everything, perjorative comments about 'the English' are widely accepted. Toxic is the perfect word for it.

I could be wrong about the SNP and Scotland, in real life they and their supports bear no resemblance to their online persona but I doubt it.
OK. I just don't think I've ever heard a politician from the SNP or PC say anything pejorative about the English as a people.

Maybe some of their individual members may have privately said discriminatory comments about the English, but what would you expect from a bunch of backwater jockos high on having watched Braveheart too may times, or a leek wielding Welshie who probably doesn't know better than relying on generic ill informed anti English tropes :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If a member of the Union wants to leave all the members need to be in favour of it, we can't have this huge decision being dictated by 2.5% of the UK population.
That's obviously not how self determination works

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
OK. I just don't think I've ever heard a politician from the SNP or PC say anything pejorative about the English as a people.

Maybe some of their individual members may have privately said discriminatory comments about the English, but what would you expect from a bunch of backwater jockos high on having watched Braveheart too may times, or a leek wielding Welshie who probably doesn't know better than relying on generic ill informed anti English tropes :)
No you won't have done, they're too smart for that! In fairness, I'm sure, (know in the case of PC)there are many that are very fair minded and truly believe that the interests of their people are better served by being outside of the UK. The means they use to argue that case though are often or always to paint the UK/England as some sort of ogre.

In Wales in particular, the independence campain ('Indy' hey kids, how much cooler are we than the 'brit nats') is the most introspective, regressive thing you'll see. It's largely based on language and culture, how can we get our kids to stay and keep the foreigners out, that sort of stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here