Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am doing a bit of bird photography and at the moment and am trying to record all the species that visit that woods near wooding cemetery and the surrounding area for this year. Currently up to 34 species , 23 of them are visual sightings (most with photos) the other 11 are from Merlin. As the trees become more leafy its becoming harder to see them so relying more on Merlin. Does anyone else use this, Is there a better alternative?

I took this (poor quality) picture hoping just to clarify it was a buzzard but its body shape seems wrong to me, any thoughts. It was buzzard size and at times was also hovering.

P1010011.JPG

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I am doing a bit of bird photography and at the moment and am trying to record all the species that visit that woods near wooding cemetery and the surrounding area for this year. Currently up to 34 species , 23 of them are visual sightings (most with photos) the other 11 are from Merlin. As the trees become more leafy its becoming harder to see them so relying more on Merlin. Does anyone else use this, Is there a better alternative?

I took this (poor quality) picture hoping just to clarify it was a buzzard but its body shape seems wrong to me, any thoughts. It was buzzard size and at times was also hovering.

View attachment 182033
I've been doing a lot of work on Bioacoustics with the RSPB, BTO etc over the last year or so and while I'm not an expert, I've processed in excess of 10,000,000 sound files so have picked up a lot along the way. The analysis we do uses the same models (Birdnet/E-Bird) that Merlin does but we're able to tweak many more settings than you to try and get rid of a lot of guff. Merlin is great in many ways but it's far from infallable - Even the developers would not claim that any ID made with the app is abosultely accurate - We've had loads of IDs then when reviewed by a human have turned out be things like distant sheep or a cat.

In short it's a great tool but if you want to be certain then have the audio reviewd by an expert.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
chick.jpg

Rare sight these days. Lapwing Chick. There were four two days ago..sadly only two now. However can`t believe how much they have grown in two days. Anyone any idea what may take them. Theres a lot of Herons, Crows about .

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Magpies, certainly; also terrestrial predators such as rats, foxes, badgers, cats, dogs (more of a threat in terms of nesting disturbance really, but still)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
View attachment 182045
Rare sight these days. Lapwing Chick. There were four two days ago..sadly only two now. However can`t believe how much they have grown in two days. Anyone any idea what may take them. Theres a lot of Herons, Crows about .
Herons and large gulls most definitely list high on list of predators but cold and wet weather can also take a toll - chicks get cold and fail to thrive.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

View attachment 182033
I can’t help with the ID apps as I don’t use them - I learnt the old fashioned way with binoculars and field notes! 😎

Yes, your image is a Common Buzzard - one of the most variable species there is in terms of plumage. Note the broad wings ( Sparrowhawks and Kestrel have more pointed wings especially Kestrel ( ie falcons). Note also the dark carpel patches ( under the bend of the wing and the very dark trailing edge to the wing - pretty much diagnostic plumage features for Buzzards.

Buzzards often hover and also tend to hang in the thermal so it looks like a hover- some sub species of Buzzards really hover as this is their preferred hunting technique ( ie Rough legged Buzzard a scarce visitor to the UK which we see up here in the Norfolk coast in autumn and winter)

Nice pic 👍

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There’s a Hoopoe behind 3 Ponds Holiday Park in Denton which is just outside Newhaven )if anyone fancies a twitch. 😉). They are usually very confiding when feeding so a good photo op if you can find it.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Herons and large gulls most definitely list high on list of predators but cold and wet weather can also take a toll - chicks get cold and fail to thrive.
View attachment 182045
Good news ... two must have been hiding yesterday. All four with Mum this morning !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here