Jul 5, 2003
at home
NSC is becoming unusable on a mobile

IMG_0066.png
IMG_0065.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought we were going to pay £10 each to cover the cost of switching these off. It’s getting like the Argus site!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can live with adverts but have had a lot of problems with ads interrupting while I'm typing and throwing me out of the text box. 3 times when writing this short post. I was waiting for someone else to start a thread to check it wasn't just me.
Yep I get that too!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can live with adverts but have had a lot of problems with ads interrupting while I'm typing and throwing me out of the text box. 3 times when writing this short post. I was waiting for someone else to start a thread to check it wasn't just me.
I've not changed the ad setup on NSC for many months, but it certainly seems that some of the existing units have become more intrusive.

Like you, on my phone, I've been typing a reply and something happened with an ad unit at the bottom of the page, it somehow registered I'd tapped on it and I was taken elsewhere. The only saving grace was that I was able to tap back and my message was still there for me to complete - I didn't have to start again.

Regardless, that's not a good experience clearly.

I'm going to take some time this week, hopefully beginning today, to review the whole ad setup and make it better/less intrusive.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm having this too, on laptop. The "takeover" ads that fill the empty space on the sides / top / bottom of the screen are the culprit I believe. I only just started seeing these load in recently, and it's only since they started loading that I've had the problem with "focus stealing" (which is what is happening - when you click into the text entry box and start typing, it is the "in focus" page element. But the "takeover" ads are stealing that focus when they load in and whenever they loop / switch to a new ad - which is frequently).

And then on mobile, the advert that sometimes loads at the top of the page loads very late and forces the page to scroll back to the top. That is super annoying when you've loaded in to the middle of a page at your "last read" location, start reading, and then a few seconds later get bounced back to the top.

I'm absolutely happy to have ads to help support the site. But not if they become intrusive by invading how I use the site. Had issues with ads on mobile a while back causing the site (and other apps on my device) to crash. That was bad enough I had to stop using the site on mobile for a while. Thankfully that seems to be fixed, but the new issues, if they persist, will be enough to drive me away / reduce how often I visit, especially given we're now seeing intrusive ads on both mobile and laptop.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you use NSC with any regularity then chip in a few quid (it's the best entertainment value you can get) or "pay" by living with the ads. It is a choice.

Of course the ads shouldn't ruin the experience, but they are intrusive - compared to no ads - for a reason. They want to get noticed and will pay your contribution to NSC through advertising fees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here