Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cappello criticises FA over Terry

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Have to agree, hes forcing the FA into a "back me or sack me" attitude

As is being pointed out a lot on Twitter its very hypocritical of him to strip Terry of the captaincy because of an alleged affair but say he needs to keep it for alleged racism

I would not be surprised at all if he is gone before the tournament starts

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
England coach Fabio Capello says he disagrees with the Football Association's decision to strip John Terry of the national team's captaincy.

Terry, 31, was removed as captain pending his trial in July over alleged racial abuse of QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Capello told Italy's state broadcaster RAI he "absolutely" does not agree with FA chairman David Bernstein's decision.

"I thought it was right that Terry should keep the captain's armband," he said.

Italian Capello indicated he did not believe someone should be punished by sporting authorities before a court had reached a verdict.

Terry, who lost the captaincy once previously, has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Capello is free to select the Chelsea defender for the Netherlands friendly in February and the European Championship in the summer.

The FA declined to comment on Capello's remarks, but former chief executive David Davies said they would not be a surprise to his bosses.

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus"My understanding is that when it was discussed with Fabio Capello, who last week was in Italy, he made it clear to the chairman of the FA that that was his view," Davies told the BBC.

"Having said that, the reality is that the board of the FA had taken the decision that they had and life has gone on.

"He clearly wants to support John Terry - a guy who Fabio appointed twice to this very special job.

"He probably also wants to prevent John Terry walking away from international football altogether."

Capello, who became England coach in December 2007, is reportedly due at Wembley on Monday to speak to Bernstein.

The 65-year-old, who earns a £6m a year, is due to stand down when his contract runs out after Euro 2012.

Meanwhile, he must decide who takes over from Terry as captain, with Anton's brother Rio Ferdinand having said he does not want the role.

Central defender Rio was briefly captain after Terry lost the post in February 2010 following allegations about his private life, but Capello turned back to the Chelsea captain in March 2011.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Am I missing something here? he's gone after the Euro's so I don't understand the rubbish being posted above?

It seems inbuilt hatred for someone, innocent until proven guilty really grates with some people here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The issue is a total fudge though, if Terry is a diversion, and would cause an issue with other members of the squad, then he should not be considered for the Euros at all.

The main shit-stirrers in this whole sordid affair IMO are Chelsea, who created the problem by asking for the court case to be delayed until the end of the season so as to maximise their chances in the CL and finishing in the top four this season.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Sack him, no loss as he is going after the Euro anyway. If I slagged my bosses on TV I'd be out of the door so why shouldn't he ?

Dear God, has he shagged his bosses wife too? Where is the NOTW when you need it?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The FA have done the right thing, The FA were forced into taking the captaincy off Terry because his ego would not step down, even though it was in the best interests of the team and country.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the issue isn't Terry and the issue isn't "innocent until proven guilty"

the issue is an employee publicly disagreeing with his paymasters

is that acceptable and, in particular, is it acceptable in such a high profile position and direct to the media?

my suggestion is not and to condone it will make the FA's old farts club look very silly indeed.

will they do anything about it though?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The FA either lets the manager decide who to have as the captain or they don't. I'm not a Terry fan, or particularly Capello for that matter, but for me The FA have handled the whole affair poorly as per usual. I agree with Capello on this one, he's been undermined.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just get rid of Terry ! Abuse is abuse. I am not going to bother supporting England if he is in the team. It will avoid any embarrassment or conflicts. Racism is not the issue here. More like stupidity.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd question the District Judge (Howard Riddle, the Chief Magistrate) for allowing them to wait so long. It's desirable to have a trial as soon as possible so that witnesses memories are fresher.
This isn't going to be the McLibel trial and drag on for weeks, there's a single issue to be decided; did Terry knowingly use racist language in earshot of someone likely to be cause offence ? At best it's an all dayer (if only because his expensive barrister will waffle on a bit), probably be done before lunch.
I cannot see how they couldn't find a day when the parties are available, given that they generally only work one or two days a week (not counting training, they could miss that) and one of them is at the weekend.
If it had been done and dusted before the Euros it would have been much better.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd like to see the FA take some affirmative action and appoint a black/mixed race captain - step forward Ashley Cole :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All it wants now is for Cameron and his cronies to get involved and then FIFA can ban us from International competition just like they did Nigeria for government involvement in the nations Football Association. Probably do us all a favour.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've never seen such a bunch of bitterness in my life because of people's hatred as opposed to sensible discussion. This thread is officially embarrassing and I won't be paying a visit to it again. I feel quite ashamed to be amongst Brighton supporters by most of the comments on this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here