Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Conservatory Roof Replacement

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
Does anyone have any experience of/advice about replacing/insulating a conservatory roof?

The house we bought 5 years ago had a conservatory extension put on the kitchen by a previous owner, which is great for the extra space it gives, but it makes the entire kitchen practically uninhabitable in the summer months due to the heat, and is terrible at keeping the place warm in the winter, not to mention the noise levels when it rains.

The roof is only 4 polycarbonate panels in a 'lean-to' style so I wouldn't imagine it's particularly large or tricky to deal with.

We had a (very reasonable) quote to have it insulated, boarded, plastered and a felt roof put on to replace the existing polycarbonate panels, but they've just 'recalculated' for more than double the original quote (seems to me they just don't want the job).

From what I can see there are 3 main options:
  1. Internal insulation only (cheapest, looks ok on the inside but I bet doesn't look great from above)
  2. Replacement insulated panels (direct swap out for the polycarbonate ones)
  3. Internal insulation coupled with lightweight tiling (looks the nicest but is the most expensive)
Annoyingly guide prices seem to range anywhere from £2k - £10k, and there are a ton of companies out there- some of which seem to just act as brokers/sales generators for other companies- so it's about as clear as mud.

Has anyone had any of this type of work done? Would they recommend it?

We definitely need to get something done, we can't face another summer of being blocked out of our kitchen by the heat. TIA.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Does anyone have any experience of/advice about replacing/insulating a conservatory roof?

The house we bought 5 years ago had a conservatory extension put on the kitchen by a previous owner, which is great for the extra space it gives, but it makes the entire kitchen practically uninhabitable in the summer months due to the heat, and is terrible at keeping the place warm in the winter, not to mention the noise levels when it rains.

The roof is only 4 polycarbonate panels in a 'lean-to' style so I wouldn't imagine it's particularly large or tricky to deal with.

We had a (very reasonable) quote to have it insulated, boarded, plastered and a felt roof put on to replace the existing polycarbonate panels, but they've just 'recalculated' for more than double the original quote (seems to me they just don't want the job).

From what I can see there are 3 main options:
  1. Internal insulation only (cheapest, looks ok on the inside but I bet doesn't look great from above)
  2. Replacement insulated panels (direct swap out for the polycarbonate ones)
  3. Internal insulation coupled with lightweight tiling (looks the nicest but is the most expensive)
Annoyingly guide prices seem to range anywhere from £2k - £10k, and there are a ton of companies out there- some of which seem to just act as brokers/sales generators for other companies- so it's about as clear as mud.

Has anyone had any of this type of work done? Would they recommend it?

We definitely need to get something done, we can't face another summer of being blocked out of our kitchen by the heat. TIA.
We moved here 21 years ago, and the survey said 'conservatory needs replacing'. I replaced polycarbonate roof myself. We knocked part of the back wall out in 2008 - and have had the issues you raise above.

Finally bit the bullet and replaced the windows with UPVC double glazed ones on the same footprint and a 'warm roof'. With a couple of rooflights to retain the light airy feel. ie: your number 3.

It's a bit 'chunkier' than before - but the difference is immediately noticeable. Quiet and currently 24 degrees, dropping to about 19 overnight (instead of 35 degrees and 15 overnight). The insulation was basically thick polystyrene and heavily insulated plasterboard. Local firm did it for us, and were great.

It all sort of clips together - so well worth looking at getting the walls/windows done at the same time (unless they are all okay).

Pricewise - it's the roof that costs the most.

So - whilst I can't help with firms I would recommend it. It's like a room/extension now - without all the hassle of building regs and planning permissions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’ve got ‘blue glass’ so-called ‘intelligent glazing’ in the conservatory which regulates the heat/cold extremes pretty effectively. Doesn’t get too hot (even on days like today) and modest use of the underfloor heating means we can use it all year round.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We’ve got ‘blue glass’ so-called ‘intelligent glazing’ in the conservatory which regulates the heat/cold extremes pretty effectively. Doesn’t get too hot (even on days like today) and modest use of the underfloor heating means we can use it all year round.
We’ve got the same. Never gets too hot or too cold and keeps the light airy feel of a conservatory.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
we replaced our blue tinted glass roof conservatory purely because of the furnace/igloo issues.

At same time we wanted to remove the doors/wall so it became part of the house proper. Be aware as soon as you take any connecting doors or windows out you need to comply with building regs, certainly if you intend to put central heating out there.

We used Guardsman roofing system, building control then did all the require energy efficiency checks as well so alls good when it ever come time to sell the house.

Its transformed our home, superb bit of kit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A greenhouse on the back of your house seemed like a good idea 40 years ago. Seems like utter lunacy now.

we've been in our shed over 20 years, the first thing we did was knock down the pissy extension, and conserve-A-tory. We built a modest pitched roof extension across the back of the house instead.

The best thing we've done in recent years was fit a good quality awning/blind. Our kitchen and main living area is west facing.

alongside good blinds and windows its every bit as good as AC * without any of the cost, And environmental impact.

*. It does help to have an Aussie in the house who knows how to deal with a 'mild spring day' when things go over 25

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We went for option a) and it was a game-changer. Can't remember how much it was, but money very well spent.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Surely you must go for a labour one.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
We did option 3) a couple of years ago to create a home office. Cost us £12k in 2021 and it was one of the best things we’ve done as conservatory was a waste of space as too hot, too cold, too bright - now a brilliant extra room, with great views of the garden

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
We replaced the roof on our conservatory last year with one of the Ultraframe light weight roof systems.

I use it as an office and it has made it much more comfortable in summer by keeping a lot of the heat out and during the last winter, the temperatures got nowhere near as low as they did with the old polycarbonate roof. The only thing I wish I had done is to get the extra rooflight fitted as it would have kept the room even cooler.

Just be careful to get multiple quotes. We had three companies quote us - one came in at nearly half the price of the other two for the same roof. I was a little sceptical but their reviews were fine and they did a great job. Afterwards, due to the way our place was built, they had to come back a couple of times due to sort out some minor issues not directly related to the roof they fitted and didn't charge me a penny extra for the work.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
10 years ago I got a couple of Polish guys who came highly recommended, to remove the conservatory from the back of the house. The outside french doors on the conservatory fitted perfectly with the 'hole' left in the house wall (may have come from there at the start). They slabbed the area and left it with no signs of a room being there. We now use it more than we used the conservatory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here