Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anybody find Amercian (so called) Comedies funny?

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Friends was ok in the first few series (sorry Seasons)

apart from that their all utter shite. Sex in the shitty ,,what the f***???

theres a few old classics like, Happy days and mork and mindy but im sure it was only because i was a kid that liked them.

i just dont get American humour.

give me british classics anyday-

The office
Phoenix Nights
Royle Family
im alan partridge

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
i must admit i do actually like quite a lot of them Sex in the City and Scrubs are shite, but i do like friends and love will and grace!!

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Bozza said:
Seinfeld is an absolute classic. You'd need to watch a few to get into the characters though.

absolute shite!

an old housemate made me sit through 3 hours of it on video.
bored shitless!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem with American comedies is that they don't know when enough is enough. They'd rather just milk it for all its worth financially.

Friends, Cheers, Frasier - all very good for the first series. The second wasn't bad too. By the time the third series comes out, you're getting a bit bored and the fourth series is usually about as funny as eating cat vomit.

By the seventh series, you've long since passed being cheesed off, you've moved onto the brandy and cigar and are currently in a cab on the way to the Pink Pussycat club in Soho. A feeling that is exadurated to the point of utter fury when you walk into Virgin or HMV and see the crowd of gormless inbred Addams family look-alikes all clammering to buy the entire sixth series on video - no doubt to go with the rest of the collection they have at home. :tosser: :tosser:

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I don't like or watch any of them - Just a different sense of humour I guess.

Their dramas however are good: The Soprano's & OZ to name just two.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Seinfeld was consistently good, so was Larry Sanders (probably my favourite of all time). And Sgt Bilko was brilliant - well ahead of its time.

I do agree with Simster though that they tend to outstay their welcome. They also have a tendency towards sentimentality towards the end.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I quite liked Scrubs and the odd episode of Friends makes me laugh but Frasier and co can do one, absolute tosh.

I loved Happy Days as a kid until they did it in front of a live audience and then it was dreadful.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Simster said:
By the seventh series, you've long since passed being cheesed off, you've moved onto the brandy and cigar and are currently in a cab on the way to the Pink Pussycat club in Soho. A feeling that is exadurated to the point of utter fury when you walk into Virgin or HMV and see the crowd of gormless inbred Addams family look-alikes all clammering to buy the entire sixth series on video - no doubt to go with the rest of the collection they have at home. :tosser: :tosser: [/B]

Along with the entire back collection of Blackadder videos as well?

;)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I embrace all cultures.
:)
Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, Cheers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Simpsons.
They are very funny programmes. Very different to English comedies.
Luckily, of our English-speaking cousins, we are yet to see the Australian sense of humour expressed since The Paul Hogan Show went off the air in 1985.
Be thankful.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
'Friends' was and is utterly, utterly dire. All that cutting about with an establishing shot (the cafe, the apartment block) in case we were too stupid to work out where the next scene was - and then they'd only say one line at which the audience would sycophanticaly scream. Dreadful.

Seinfeld and the early Dharma and Greg were ok, Becker and Married with Children are both very good (far better than any recent British comedy) and Frasier is absolutely brilliant.

As Simster says the Americans do tend to flog a series to death - and then make a few more 'seasons', but Frasier, right up until the recent series, was quite the best situation comedy made since the 'glory years' of British sitcom in the early 70s.

The only program I can think of that comes close to Frasier for sheer brilliance is the Simpsons.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Only one - Frasier is excellent.

Oh and The simpsons naturellement.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bozza said:
Seinfeld is an absolute classic. You'd need to watch a few to get into the characters though.

i had a period of getting into seinfeld and i do think it has its moments. the main reason was elaine though. she was up for it and on a good day looked very very fit.
:)
elaine88.jpg

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
The Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy. All animated unfortunately.
Nothing else American. Seinfeld and Frasier are terrible, IMO the Emporor's new clothes of comedy.
Will and Grace is especially awful. Married With Children was the same joke repeated ad nauseum. Cheers, Sgt. Bilko et al - very, very dull. :yawn:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Used to like the old fresh prince of bel air, never got some of the jokes though esp from Will smith himself. Think it must be the different language he picked up in the hood! ( not)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Married with Children, Taxi, Beverly Hill Billies, the Munsters, Simpsons. That's about it for me. Thank goodness baseball is on just about every day at the moment or there'd be nothing to watch. Except for the Beeb of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here