Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dutch

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Like us, they speak a low Germanic or "Deutsche" language. Dutch is deriven from "deutsche".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
RoyalAli said:
I've heard that over 60% of English is derived from German, not Latin.

The main question is though, why were they speaking before we were, and how did thier language become incorporated into ours?
Did the Saxons speak German?

Blimey, there are enough questions there for a complete course on how English was derived.

But briefly: they weren't speaking before we were; they spoke a different language. Successive waves of immigrants meant that gradually the original inhabitants were either driven west or integrated with the Saxon, Jutes and Angles who had arrived from northern Germany.

In the north of England, there were also extensive invasions by the Vikings; which is why so many northern (and especially north-eastern) dialect words sound Scandinavian.

If you want to know what the original inghabitants of England sounded like, go to Wales or Cornwall. Welsh and Cornish are the closest relatives of the original British language.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
English is roughly 50% Germanic languages and 50% Romance languages like Latin and French.

Which makes me laugh when some numbskulls put the English Language as one reason why were are not European:rolleyes:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gwylan said:

In the north of England, there were also extensive invasions by the Vikings; which is why so many northern (and especially north-eastern) dialect words sound Scandinavian.

A Yorkshireman will call playing 'laking' , so will a Norwegian.

I'm not sure if it is an urban myth but it is reckoned you could put a broad Yorkshireman into the centre of Oslo and he would be understood.
:dunce:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Explains all:

014014305X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why can't we have more threads like this one. I thought we were Frisians. That's in Sūþseaxna. Got off the boat at Cymens ora.

Meanwhile:

This is the sort of Dutch centre-half I would like us get the go ahead to sign! Before another team get their grubby hands on him.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here