Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - Gerrard sould he really be captain?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I would say no leave him out the squad how many decent games has he had in 90 caps for England Liverpool have been shite this season plus he's on his way out get some new blood in.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Gerrard is probably the best bet going into an international tournament - next season it might well be someone else although I wouldn't want to bet on who just yet. Wilshere would no way command the necessary respect to lead senior pros and I doubt Parker who has a long way to go to establish himself as an international. Once the current "leaders" step back there are not many obvious replacements tbh

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Yes, wears the Lion's with pride like a true Englishman should.

Gerrad wont quit if he has to be a squad player. In the same ilk as Beckham, Gazza, Pearce, Lineker etc. PRIDE

three-lions-premier-league10511s.gif

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
He's the obvious choice in the short term, then I'd be looking to give it to someone who's going to be around for the foreseeable future. The only one that springs to mind is Joe Hart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Goring is a little deluded.

Gerrard should be England captain, as he is a pivotal player, in a key position with a wealth of experience.

The fact that on the World and European international stage, he's not very good says more about England and English football than it does Gerrard.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I couldn't give a monkeys who it is.

The significance of the captain's role in football, and especially with England, has been artificially inflated to give the press, radio and TV (and NSC) something to talk about. It is a privilege for the player concerned, but that's it, no wider importance at all.

The manager picks the team and tactics, the FA pick the manager, all the captain does is have to earn his place (ie like everyone else). At international level there should be 11 leaders out there anyway.

Compared to cricket, where a captain can be actually making decisions that materially influence the outcome for up to five days, it is meaningless.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think Goring is a little deluded.

Gerrard should be England captain, as he is a pivotal player, in a key position with a wealth of experience.

The fact that on the World and European international stage, he's not very good says more about England and English football than it does Gerrard.

He's generally been played out of postion, which doesn't help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's generally been played out of postion, which doesn't help.
Nevertheless, do you really expect him to step up change a game, and put in a 'captains' performance that would win over any opposition, in the euros.

I'm not doing Gerrard down, just putting him at his level, internationally.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Joe Hart should be Captain. Really, really simple decision.

He'll be a starter for the next 8-10 years
Goalies rarely get injured
It would stop the whole debate there and then
He's a World Class keeper and incredibly passionate about succeeding
Seems a genuine bloke who is well respected and keeps out of trouble.

Absolute no brainer.

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Nevertheless, do you really expect him to step up change a game, and but in a 'captains' performance that would over any opposition, in the euros.

I'm not doing Gerrard down, just putting him at his level, internationally.

I don't expect us to get out of the group stages, but I'd still pick him as captain personally.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Joe Hart should be Captain. Really, really simple decision.

He'll be a starter for the next 8-10 years
Goalies rarely get injured
It would stop the whole debate there and then
He's a World Class keeper and incredibly passionate about succeeding
Seems a genuine bloke who is well respected and keeps out of trouble.

Absolute no brainer.

Kind of agree, but tough for a gk to have an influence on the whole team during a game. How many GK captains are there in EPL or FL.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I would have said Parker but because he's knackered at the minute i think Gerrard is the best bet. Although whoever said Hart might have a point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here