Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed re new york

Oct 17, 2008
As stated need some help off to new york in 2 weeks.Has anyone any suggestions on trips that are worth while what to do/not to do etc and is it best to buy tickets online before i go if so what websites etc any help will be appreciated

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
We got a New York Pass which was really good value when we got it online before we went, it included entry to all the places you would want to go in New York inc sightseeing tours and a day trip Woodbury Common the Shopping Outlet Village.

Oct 17, 2008
We got a New York Pass which was really good value when we got it online before we went, it included entry to all the places you would want to go in New York inc sightseeing tours and a day trip Woodbury Common the Shopping Outlet Village.

how much are they do you know the website

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do not believe the falacy that New York never closes. If in Times Sq you will have trouble getting anything to eat other than fast food burgers etc after about 10pm. Have a walk down to Chelsea and visit the bars but beware some will make you high as you walk in with the smell of dope. It is great for weekend dont know that I would want to be there longer.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Suggest you do a little search on here as its been covered many times before but as a resident of this great city you might want to have a look at the following (in no particular order)

Staten Island Ferry (Free)
Top of the Rock - (buy tickets online or at Rockafella Center)
Rockafella center itself (ice skating, xmas tree Home Alone style)
MOMA, Gugenhiem or Natural History museum
Central Park
High Line park (new - between 12th and 23rd sts, 9th Ave)
Financial district (Wall st, Ground Zero, Battery park)
Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO
East Village bars
Shopping in SOHO
Macys (take your passport and get 10% off from guest Services)
Event and MSG (the knicks suck but its worth experiencing)
Columbus Circle
Union Sq
Show on broadway

Avoid:

Times Sq - go see the lights at night and then get the hell outta there
Cheesey horse drawn carriage rides around central park - try walking it instead
Empire state building (top of the rock much better and less touristy and queues)
Abercrombie on 5th Ave unless you get there very early to avoid the rush
Century 21 isnt all its cracked up to be any more

Get a unlimited ride or prepay metrocard for use on subway and buses - easiest way to get around

Finally jump on the L train and come over to Williamsburg where all the cool hipsters live (like me...)

Last edited:

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
There is loads to do, as has already been mentioned on here, so finding stuff to do shouldn't be a problem but the best advice I can give anyone going to NYC for the first time is to create some kind of plan as to what you want to do and when.

If you don't, you can easily waste time walking around aimlessly in total awe of the place.

Although walking is a great way to take everything in, you can find yourself doing loads of miles per day and come the second or third day you are absolutely knackered. So plan to do one particular area per day and/or try and use a bit of public transport too.

I absolutely loved Greenwich Village.. Great part of town.

If your gonna do a helicopter ride, get an early slot. When we were there it was running really late so when we finally went up it was fairly dark. It was great to see all the lights but would maybe have preferred to seen it in the day..

Pancakes with bananas, walnuts and maple syrup..... Highly recommended !!!!!!!!

Enjoy..

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The helicopter trips over the Statue of Liberty are amazing, book before you go. Recommend going to see the mets too.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
gotta get to the carnegie deli (upper east side I think) and have the pastrami and dill on rye, piled about a foot high, bloody brilliant and real traditional new york fare and atmosphere.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Go to a bar called Hogs & Heifers.

Best bit in H&H is seeing all the bras on the walls that have been donated by visiting dancers and models, then seeing the barmaids with megaphones dancing on the bar……….worst bit is when you find out those same barmaids add their own drinks to your tab without asking. You have been warned.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went in September and we went on this tour - Book A Tour : OnBoard New York City Sightseeing Tours

It's five and a half hours and you see all the touristy things in NYC. It's $69.99 but really well worth it. You don't just sit on a bus - you get out at a lot of the sights and walk round. I booked it online from home - it's best to make sure as it gets booked up quickly and they even rang me to change the booking - great customer service. Our guide was a guy called Chris who is an out of work actor and seems to know all there is to know about the Big Apple. If you DO do the Ground Zero trip as mentioned above beware of the parasites selling books as they are just trading off other people's grief - I thought it disgusting myself. As others have said - do Greenwich Village by foot - if you're into music there are some wonderful second hand CD shops and loads to see down there. It is a wonderful city with so much to do - you just can't get bored. Subways are cheap - I think we paid $8 for a metrocard which was enough for a couple of days travel.
One last tip - wear comfortable shoes !!!!!
Good luck and have a wonderful time

PS almost forgot - you can buy tickets for the Empire State Building on line and they last for two years. Wear something warm though as it's bloody cold at the top !

Last edited:

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I second that - check out the village - some quality shops and restaurants around there - and it will feel a little like brighton as well. As for sports, no Baseball at the mo (seasons over) but you could check out the NBA with the Knicks or Nets (they are both about as bad as the albion right now), the NHL with the Rangers or Devils or if your feeling really flash and you have $$$$$ then you might scalp tickets for the NFL.

If you want any other advice then let me know

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I really enjoyed the tour of Radio City Music Hall, and the boat trip around Manhattan was a very relaxing three hours - great views of the Statue of Liberty, the bridges, UN building etc. In both cases, the thing that really made them really enjoyable were the tour guides we had - they were both really passionate about what they did and wanted to provide the best experience possible for tourists.
If you're staying in Manhattan try and walk as much as possible, rather than take the subway. We came across a lot of quaint shops and even a farmers market only a few blocks from the Empire State building that we would have missed if we'd been on the subway

Walk across Brooklyn Bridge at night.

Eat at Lombardi's (where they invented the great American pizza).

Lombardi's Pizza

And go to the fish and chip shop in Greenwich Village called A Salt and Battery, where they will cook you a deep-fried Mars bar for $3.25. [Or go to Tea and Sympathy, next door for the best in English cuisine - like bangers and mash].

A Salt & Battery Home

Home

scooter1

How soon is now?
I can only echo the bit about wrapping up warm, we went this time a couple of years ago and it was f***ing freezing.
Check out Jimmys Corner on W47th(I think). Its a cracking little NYC bar. Long and thin and pretty cheap considering what you can pay for a pint of piss over there. Jimmy used to Muhammed Ali's corner man and there is loads of evidence.
And when you go for breakfast remember to say tomaatoe, as opposed to tomarto. A friend on mine did this when we were there and waitress looked at her like she was from Mars
And take a walk around Central Park, including a quick look at the Dakota Building and Strawberry Fields

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The last time I went to NYC I struggled to find the Empire State Building. For future reference are there any landmarks close by I can use to locate it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here