Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is Woke a significant factor in any upcoming General Election?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But anyone who suggests NHS budgets have been reduced are just patently wrong.
At face value this is the case. But if you look at spending per head then there are decreases. It’s all very well the government saying the amount of spending has, for example doubled, but it’s not much use if the population has tripled. If you factor in the increase of the aged population is even more severe.

“ But in the decade leading up to the pandemic, real-terms spending increases per head averaged just 0.4% a year and included four years in which spending per head actually fell.”

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No, no, that must be wrong because according to @Tyrone Biggums children are being groomed by TikTok and all the Bruces now want to be Shielas. It'll lead to the end of the world, not to mention manly men like Tyrone having to explain to the barflys they discuss this stuff with why their son is suddenly wearing pink trousers.

I still remember how you chucked a wobbly when I said tiktok was causing young people actual physical conditions and then when I proved it was real you f***ed off from the conversation because you were shown to be totally clueless about the subject.

Still are.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At face value this is the case. But if you look at spending per head then there are decreases.
I've deleted the rest of your post from this reply because your second sentence above is exactly what I said in the bit of my post you didn't quote for some reason. I'll even repeat it for you:

"when you look at spending in terms of both population growth and population demographics (getting older), then it's a pretty easy argument to make that we've not been, and are not, spending enough."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've deleted the rest of your post from this reply because your second sentence above is exactly what I said in the bit of my post you didn't quote for some reason. I'll even repeat it for you:

"when you look at spending in terms of both population growth and population demographics (getting older), then it's a pretty easy argument to make that we've not been, and are not, spending enough."
Fair enough. Coupled with the statement I did quote, I interpreted the thrust of your post differently. But thanks for clarifying.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No, no, that must be wrong because according to @Tyrone Biggums children are being groomed by TikTok and all the Bruces now want to be Shielas. It'll lead to the end of the world, not to mention manly men like Tyrone having to explain to the barflys they discuss this stuff with why their son is suddenly wearing pink trousers.

Here's the Guardian reporting on what you think isn't real.

Blaire White a trans person also exposes them on YouTube.

But yeah, because you think it's not real it can't exist. Jeffrey Marsh to you is a top guy and not thing creepy or predatory about them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough. Coupled with the statement I did quote, I interpreted the thrust of your post differently. But thanks for clarifying.
I started my post by saying that I was neither looking to defend nor make apologies for NHS spending levels. I did that because the very nature of this polarised world we live in, is if you highlight an inaccuracy in someone's political argument, an assumption is often taken that you are doing so because you're "on the other side".

Although I've voted Conservative more than once, I genuinely couldn't say when the last time I did so was, but I know I've voted both Labour and Lib Dem multiple times since.

I just get annoyed, frankly more annoyed than I should do, at lazy made-up facts. They get spewed out somewhere on the internet and those who like them because they reinforce their beliefs then repeat them elsewhere. They don't bother to actually check the veracity of the fact, because they are bathing in the satisfaction at having found a golden nugget they can lob at the their political foes. (I'm not suggesting @Thunder Bolt did this, but I see it a lot)

Beyond that, having spent, and continuing to spend, a lot of time with my mum dealing with the NHS, which has included quite a long inpatient stay, I'm acutely aware of the stresses and strains on the NHS, and the daily wonders being worked by those trying to keep the thing going.

(I could equally have picked on "Britain takes in far fewer [immigrants / asylum seekers / refugees] than any other European country". Fewer than the Vatican City? Fewer than Monaco? Fewer than Liechtenstein? Fewer than San Marino? Fewer than Malta? It can be a bit of a curse being a pedantic twat!)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But anyone who suggests NHS budgets have been reduced are just patently wrong.
I suppose it's where you look at the figures but I agree with your point.

However on a micro level if a surgery has closed and patients forced to merge with another, the cost of supplies has gone through the roof, that doctor has much less to spend per head than he did a few years ago. In purely numeric terms he has more money, but more patients and less money to spend on them.

He was in here last week and was at his wits end.

I've had a particularly "interesting" 15 months dealing with someone's else's illness. I may be an extreme case, but at times it's been horrific dealing with a service that isnt just creaking but is broken in parts.

I've lost count of the divisions that have told me their budgets have been cut which is of course different from the overall expenditure. Those are real cuts (not the result of inflation), the money moved off to fix a hole in a roof elsewhere

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I started my post by saying that I was neither looking to defend nor make apologies for NHS spending levels. I did that because the very nature of this polarised world we live in, is if you highlight an inaccuracy in someone's political argument, an assumption is often taken that you are doing so because you're "on the other side".

Although I've voted Conservative more than once, I genuinely couldn't say when the last time I did so was, but I know I've voted both Labour and Lib Dem multiple times since.

I just get annoyed, frankly more annoyed than I should do, at lazy made-up facts. They get spewed out somewhere on the internet and those who like them because they reinforce their beliefs then repeat them elsewhere. They don't bother to actually check the veracity of the fact, because they are bathing in the satisfaction at having found a golden nugget they can lob at the their political foes. (I'm not suggesting @Thunder Bolt did this, but I see it a lot)

Beyond that, having spent, and continuing to spend, a lot of time with my mum dealing with the NHS, which has included quite a long inpatient stay, I'm acutely aware of the stresses and strains on the NHS, and the daily wonders being worked by those trying to keep the thing going.

(I could equally have picked on "Britain takes in far fewer [immigrants / asylum seekers / refugees] than any other European country". Fewer than the Vatican City? Fewer than Monaco? Fewer than Liechtenstein? Fewer than San Marino? Fewer than Malta? It can be a bit of a curse being a pedantic twat!)
Fair enough. I read your post as, however you slice it, the budget is always increasing BUT maybe not always increasing by enough. My point was that per capita this isn’t always the case. This is all.

I’m sorry to hear about your mother and wish her well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now it's been proven that you can win an election for 5 years of British Government with a three word meaningless slogan then shirley, it's simply the next step to see if an election can be won with a four letter meaningless word.

Wonder what the odds are :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The same, a little extra digging almost always gives you what you want eg ONS.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Add 'gammon' to that list of insults for the asinine political 'debate'.

I've never really got that one to be honest, but I did recently read Dan Wootton of GB "News" fame described as "sideboard made of ham", which is actually a good description.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've never really got that one to be honest, but I did recently read Dan Wootton of GB "News" fame described as "sideboard made of ham", which is actually a good description.
I can explain that one, as it has a long unchanged history in British literature (which we all know, is the best literature in the WORLD)

Hate to be a pedant but Mr Dickens used the term specifically to describe someone who had no understanding of the political situation, but tried to use faux patriotism to try to cover his ignorance

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

I really can't imagine why the term has made such a comeback in recent years :wink:

As I'm sure, could anybody who studied English Literature under Willie Pope :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suppose it's where you look at the figures but I agree with your point.

However on a micro level if a surgery has closed and patients forced to merge with another, the cost of supplies has gone through the roof, that doctor has much less to spend per head than he did a few years ago. In purely numeric terms he has more money, but more patients and less money to spend on them.

He was in here last week and was at his wits end.

I've had a particularly "interesting" 15 months dealing with someone's else's illness. I may be an extreme case, but at times it's been horrific dealing with a service that isnt just creaking but is broken in parts.

I've lost count of the divisions that have told me their budgets have been cut which is of course different from the overall expenditure. Those are real cuts (not the result of inflation), the money moved off to fix a hole in a roof elsewhere
I believe the storage of useless PPE, and disposal there o, is included in the NHS budget. I say I believe because I cannot state it as fact. It would explain shortages elsewhere.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure how true that is, bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Plenty of people think Some of the stuff labelled woke is utter nonsense, but will vote Labour/Lib Dems/green and I imagine vice versa.

There is a serious discussion around some of the issues raised, but there doesn't seem to be many grown ups in power to discuss them properly without insults thrown.
True - and I never suggested that all people who vote Labour, Lib. Dem. or Green are woke - but the reverse is true, woke will only vote for those parties - and woke will never, never, never ever vote Tory!
The woke vote is, and will be, inevitably anti-Tory.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
woke.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here