Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ludwig (BBC iPlayer)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
IMG_3881.jpeg

**no plot spoilers, only the premise and first 30 minutes setting up the conceit are discussed**

Just finished this. For those who are unaware, it’s a British murder-mystery comedy-drama - think Jonathan Creek, but perhaps slightly less quirky. Six fifty-ish minute episodes in the first series, which has just been released.

I hugely enjoyed this series, it’s a really comfy and, frankly, low effort watch (it’s pure “cozy mystery”, for fans of the genre who can work out what the f*** I’m going on about).

I do however think an issue which will make or break whether you decide to watch, is that Ludwig stars David Mitchell.

Some love and many hate Mitchell, who also Executive Produces, but I am somewhere in the middle. He plays his usual Mark Corrigan baffled-by-the-modern-world shtick, in an admittedly typecast role which was created as a vehicle for him. Fans will lap it up, haters should avoid.

The story follows John “Ludwig” Taylor, a reclusive, neurodivergent puzzle setter, as he is dragged into investigating the sudden disappearance of his identical twin brother James, a detective chief inspector.

Ludwig is summoned to stay with James’s wife and teenage son in Cambridge (which features heavily throughout), as they desperately try to understand his disappearance. This leads Ludwig to impersonate his brother as a fish out of water senior police officer, to gather clues on his brother’s disappearance.

Thus the central conceit is set, with each episode revolving around a single murder-mystery for Ludwig to unravel using his savant puzzle solving skills. Meanwhile the investigation into his brother’s moonlight flit unfolds in the background, as the B-story.

The acting performances are good across the board, as is some of the snappy writing. Anna Maxwell Martin as Lucy is always fun to see, and Mitchell gives his usual performance - I warmed to him after a shaky start and quick acceptance of Peep Show deja-vu.

A tight six episodes - under six hours - which I like as I can’t abide interminably long (usually American) shows where nothing really advances.

4*

Notes:

- the constant - and I mean constant Beethoven underscoring for essentially each entire episode is initially like getting buggered in the ears with a trombone, especially the jarring use of “Ode to Joy” over the end titles, but I had tuned it out by episode three.

- the comparisons to Jonathan Creek are numerous; reclusive but endearing loner with genius level intellect, whose job it is to create clever puzzles/tricks, ends up having to solve them with lateral thinking at the behest of a quirky female deuteragonist. The show is equally light in tone with lots of humour, underscored by classical music and has a “little England” sensibility.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
View attachment 189800

**no plot spoilers, only the premise and first 30 minutes setting up the conceit are discussed**

Just finished this. For those who are unaware, it’s a British murder-mystery comedy-drama - think Jonathan Creek, but perhaps slightly less quirky. Six fifty-ish minute episodes in the first series, which has just been released.

I hugely enjoyed this series, it’s a really comfy and, frankly, low effort watch (it’s pure “cozy mystery”, for fans of the genre who can work out what the f*** I’m going on about).

I do however think an issue which will make or break whether you decide to watch, is that Ludwig stars David Mitchell.

Some love and many hate Mitchell, who also Executive Produces, but I am somewhere in the middle. He plays his usual Mark Corrigan baffled-by-the-modern-world shtick, in an admittedly typecast role which was created as a vehicle for him. Fans will lap it up, haters should avoid.

The story follows John “Ludwig” Taylor, a reclusive, neurodivergent puzzle setter, as he is dragged into investigating the sudden disappearance of his identical twin brother James, a detective chief inspector.

Ludwig is summoned to stay with James’s wife and teenage son in Cambridge (which features heavily throughout), as they desperately try to understand his disappearance. This leads Ludwig to impersonate his brother as a fish out of water senior police officer, to gather clues on his brother’s disappearance.

Thus the central conceit is set, with each episode revolving around a single murder-mystery for Ludwig to unravel using his savant puzzle solving skills. Meanwhile the investigation into his brother’s moonlight flit unfolds in the background, as the B-story.

The acting performances are good across the board, as is some of the snappy writing. Anna Maxwell Martin as Lucy is always fun to see, and Mitchell gives his usual performance - I warmed to him after a shaky start and quick acceptance of Peep Show deja-vu.

A tight six episodes - under six hours - which I like as I can’t abide interminably long (usually American) shows where nothing really advances.

4*

Notes:

- the constant - and I mean constant Beethoven underscoring for essentially each entire episode is initially like getting buggered in the ears with a trombone, especially the jarring use of “Ode to Joy” over the end titles, but I had tuned it out by episode three.

- the comparisons to Jonathan Creek are numerous; reclusive but endearing loner with genius level intellect, whose job it is to create clever puzzles/tricks, ends up having to solve them with lateral thinking at the behest of a quirky female deuteragonist. The show is equally light in tone with lots of humour, underscored by classical music and has a “little England” sensibility.
We really enjoyed it! Lots of humour plus some light drama and 'gore'... Mitchell barely had to act 😄. Looking forward to the next series.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watched 3 episodes so far, fairly easy going and quite funny at times.

There is a bit of a nod to Death in Paradise as well which I am very much looking forward to when back as Lucas takes over

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I lasted half the first episode.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I enjoyed the first one, nodded off watching the second, not sure if it was because I was bored or just very tired.
Will give the next one a watch.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just watched first episode. The plot is SO ludicrous I almost gave up, but entertaining so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here