Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Martin Samuel BHA article Sunday Times today

Brighton1959

Oct 26, 2021
the most interesting bit for me

“ Alessio Dionisi , Sassualo’s coach at the start of the season, was accused of moving on from De Zerbi’s style too quickly and was sacked in February”

I’m sure TB is looking for manager who keeps similar style

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks !
Which thread is that on ?

(link goes straight to post)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
the most interesting bit for me

“ Alessio Dionisi , Sassualo’s coach at the start of the season, was accused of moving on from De Zerbi’s style too quickly and was sacked in February”

I’m sure TB is looking for manager who keeps similar style

I doubt he wants the sorcerers shit sounding apprentice tbh :lolol:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I would love, LOVE the likes of Martin Samuels as well as a few on here to try their hand at the balancing act that the likes of the Albion have to manage. Would he turn down £120m for Caicedo for example? Assuming not and he would then buy a cheaper ready made replacement, would he pay an over the odds £60m say to secure a KDH for example? How much would he be prepared to pay in wages to get his signature? £100k a week, £120k, 140k? How would that impact the other players in the squad - would they want out if they can't get a similar amount? How would he manage a player who wants to play Champions League football and who effectively goes on strike to force his move? How much would he promise a manager like RDZ to keep him? How would he ensure that the club's new managerial target is guaranteed to come? It's fiendishly difficult unless you basically have unlimited resources and don't care about the sustainability of the club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would love, LOVE the likes of Martin Samuels as well as a few on here to try their hand at the balancing act that the likes of the Albion have to manage. Would he turn down £120m for Caicedo for example? Assuming not and he would then buy a cheaper ready made replacement, would he pay an over the odds £60m say to secure a KDH for example? How much would he be prepared to pay in wages to get his signature? £100k a week, £120k, 140k? How would that impact the other players in the squad - would they want out if they can't get a similar amount? How would he manage a player who wants to play Champions League football and who effectively goes on strike to force his move? How much would he promise a manager like RDZ to keep him? How would he ensure that the club's new managerial target is guaranteed to come? It's fiendishly difficult unless you basically have unlimited resources and don't care about the sustainability of the club.
…….said Barber at that dinner with De Zerbi a couple of weeks ago :smile:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I know it is not easy , but we needed midfield players at the beginning of the season , they could of gone for JWP from Southampton would of cost 30 million , Ross Barkley for nothing, that wouldn’t of broke the bank , and 2 good experienced midfield players with premier league know how , and then we would not of wasted money on Milner

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Sassuolo have survived the way any club of similar proportion does. They have appointed well (former coaches include Roberto De Zerbi) and sold high. Yet this carries a risk: one managerial misstep, a departure too many, a glut of injuries.

Sassuolo have sold players that were important to them: Manuel Locatelli, Jérémie Boga, Gianluca Scamacca, Giacomo Raspadori and Hamed Traorè. This raised about £120 million. Almost dwarfed by the deal that took Moisés Caicedo from Brighton to Chelsea, obviously, but England’s league is wealthier. In Italy, Sassuolo are regarded as smooth operators. Up until the moment they went down.

And that’s the risk for Brighton. As shrewd as Tony Bloom and Paul Barber are, it’s still a tightrope walk. De Zerbi left Sassuolo because he felt the club had reached a peak with eighth place in 2020-21 and this year he walked from Brighton because he again disagreed with owner Bloom’s way forward.
“We have to compete in a different way,” Barber, the CEO, explained. “Our player recruitment we think gives us the edge. It’s not perfect, but it works for us.” De Zerbi, left, differed. He was fed up with losing big players and getting value replacements. He thought he knew how this ended. Not next season necessarily, but eventually. It ends as it did for Sassuolo.

Injuries could already have done for Brighton this season. Evan Ferguson, Kaoru Mitoma and Pervis Estupiñán only started 15 league games each, Solly March managed just seven. Fortunately, by the time the list became unmanageable Brighton had already established a secure position. Yet imagine if bad luck hit sooner. The margins for small clubs are tiny. Look at Leicester City.

Making Brighton’s next managerial move so important. Over-achievers have to get every call right. Alessio Dionisi, Sassuolo’s coach at the start of this season, was accused of moving on from De Zerbi’s style too quickly and was sacked in February. Too late. Elite clubs can get it wrong without paying the ultimate price. Sassuolo can’t. Nor can Brighton.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I know it is not easy , but we needed midfield players at the beginning of the season , they could of gone for JWP from Southampton would of cost 30 million , Ross Barkley for nothing, that wouldn’t of broke the bank , and 2 good experienced midfield players with premier league know how , and then we would not of wasted money on Milner
There was no guarantee that Ross Barkley would have got rid of his demons (otherwise it wouldn't have been only Luton who took the gamble - easy to be wise in hindsight) and I doubt we could match JWPs wages before we even argue whether he would have fitted in with our style. Also don't forget RDZ wanted the experienced Dahood and we all know how that turned out. I'm sure we have and will continue to make mistakes but it's bloody tricky unless you chuck billions Chelsea style and get lucky with one player - Palmer (who we also wanted). He alone would have got us several places higher and certainly into Europe. There is a massive consequence in overpaying for a player who doesn't work in terms of wages and cost for a club like Brighton whereas Chelsea can fling money in all directions and hope something sticks.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Samuels is basically saying the bleeding obvious: if you are not part of the elite, you have a high chance of relegation. Sassuolo have lasted 11 seasons in Serie A; that is longer than 11 of the teams in PL 13/14 season. Only the top 6 plus Palace, WHU, and Everton have remained in PL since. Palace and WHU were relatively recent arrivals then, and Everton have flirted with relegation.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Sassuolo have survived the way any club of similar proportion does. They have appointed well (former coaches include Roberto De Zerbi) and sold high. Yet this carries a risk: one managerial misstep, a departure too many, a glut of injuries.

Sassuolo have sold players that were important to them: Manuel Locatelli, Jérémie Boga, Gianluca Scamacca, Giacomo Raspadori and Hamed Traorè. This raised about £120 million. Almost dwarfed by the deal that took Moisés Caicedo from Brighton to Chelsea, obviously, but England’s league is wealthier. In Italy, Sassuolo are regarded as smooth operators. Up until the moment they went down.

And that’s the risk for Brighton. As shrewd as Tony Bloom and Paul Barber are, it’s still a tightrope walk. De Zerbi left Sassuolo because he felt the club had reached a peak with eighth place in 2020-21 and this year he walked from Brighton because he again disagreed with owner Bloom’s way forward.
“We have to compete in a different way,” Barber, the CEO, explained. “Our player recruitment we think gives us the edge. It’s not perfect, but it works for us.” De Zerbi, left, differed. He was fed up with losing big players and getting value replacements. He thought he knew how this ended. Not next season necessarily, but eventually. It ends as it did for Sassuolo.

Injuries could already have done for Brighton this season. Evan Ferguson, Kaoru Mitoma and Pervis Estupiñán only started 15 league games each, Solly March managed just seven. Fortunately, by the time the list became unmanageable Brighton had already established a secure position. Yet imagine if bad luck hit sooner. The margins for small clubs are tiny. Look at Leicester City.

Making Brighton’s next managerial move so important. Over-achievers have to get every call right. Alessio Dionisi, Sassuolo’s coach at the start of this season, was accused of moving on from De Zerbi’s style too quickly and was sacked in February. Too late. Elite clubs can get it wrong without paying the ultimate price. Sassuolo can’t. Nor can Brighton.
And as it does sooner or later for every single club that isn't a dirty global corporation.
Not only teams that buy young, talented players get relegated. It also happens frequently to those who buy aging dross or fancy names in their peak age.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure you have read the post to which you are replying :shrug:

Barkley would have been a missive punt, even if it transpired he had single handedly kept Luton in the EPL. Which he didn't. JWP cost £30 million but how much in salary? He's a one trick pony, but he is in the Eng.... oh, he didn't make the England squad.

Not very good former England internationals? The Luton way. We already have two, so . . . .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I keep reading stuff like this. ‘We could of got JWP’. You have absolutely no idea whether we ‘could have’ got him. It’s just complete nonsense, wild speculation and basically assuming the real world is like Football Manager. It’s no different to Palace fans saying “We could have got Mitoma for £3 million in 2021”.

Just try stopping and thinking in detail about the real world for a minute, and realise that you have absolutely no idea what is actually going on at the football club.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've said this before on here and will say it again. JWP is hugely overrated. Beyond his set pieces which didn't yield that much for West Ham despite being stuffed with Moyes giants, his all round play is dross. Slow, lacks physicality, dreadful in the tackle, inability to carry the ball or break the lines and average short and long passing.
We had Gross and Gilmour last season. The last midfielder required to complement those two is JWP. And for 30m and stupid wages

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We needed midfield players, so we bought Baleba and signed Dahoud (on a free, allegedly to keep RDZ happy). Plus we had WBG waiting in the wings. In hindsight Ross Barkley would have been an excellent signing - I did at one time suggest him on here as a useful potential sighting; and got well and truly rubbished!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here