Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most popular manager since....?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Whilst I know us football fans are a fickle bunch at the best of times, and whilst I am also aware the recent run of results has taken us collectively on to this wave of confidence and optimism :bounce:......nevertheless I want to know if you can remember the last time an Albion manager was so popular with every single fan :bowdown:.
1. Who was our all time favourite manager?
2. How far can Slade take us?
3. Should he not be offered a contract before the big one on Saturday?

:albion2:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember Chris Catlin being very popular, until he was untimely sacked to bring back a former legendary manager of ours, who just wasn't able to get anywhere near repeating teh feat the second time around.

Still, mistakes happen, it's learning from them that matters.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
1. Difficult one......Adams first time round?
2. To the Championship at least.
3. No get the game out the way and go from there, all focus for all involved (I include fans in this) MUST be on winning in saturday.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Mullery (1st stint) was loved by the Goldstone when I first started watching.....and I guess Melia has a claim to fame too....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Jimmy melia for me was the funniest,i remember at anfield we had just beaten them and he ran toward the cop applauding the brethrin scousers,he got more f*** offs in 30 seconds than any ref has ever had in a lifetime,the reaction took him back a tad and turned round for back up from the players whom wisely were around 80 yards away.:)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whilst I know us football fans are a fickle bunch at the best of times, and whilst I am also aware the recent run of results has taken us collectively on to this wave of confidence and optimism :bounce:......nevertheless I want to know if you can remember the last time an Albion manager was so popular with every single fan :bowdown:.
1. Who was our all time favourite manager?
2. How far can Slade take us?
3. Should he not be offered a contract before the big one on Saturday?

:albion2:

1.Peter Taylor for some reason just liked the guy
2.The Championship
3.Yep

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't "Pints of Whisky" rather popular for a while?

1. My favourite will always be Peter Taylor the First. The man who built the team that got us to the first division. If only he hadn't gone back to living under Cloughie's shadow, he could have become one of the greats IMHO.
2. A bit early to tell, but I reckon he could get us to the Championship at least.
3. No. Wait until after the game.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I adored Alan Mullery first time round, Mickey Adams first time round, Steve Coppell (very intelligent), Mark McGhee ( for play off final), Jimmy Melia (actually got a kiss off him after the first Wembley final) but I just love the pure energy and passion of Mr Slade. He lived in my village for two years and was very much respected. I think he understands the fans and speaks very intelligently....he is a gem so please sign him up!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I remember Chris Catlin being very popular, until he was untimely sacked to bring back a former legendary manager of ours, who just wasn't able to get anywhere near repeating teh feat the second time around.

Still, mistakes happen, it's learning from them that matters.

In some respects Slade reminds me of Cattlin. We've had several good managers since CC, all with different qualities, but IMO Slade is the first one to match Cattlin's sheer enthusiasm, passion and pride in managing the club. He's a top bloke. Hopefully he'll do the business for us, get us into the Championship and lead us out at Falmer.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The Championship??? I'm brighton through and through but I think that's a bit optimistic to say the least :lol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
1. Adams in his 1st stint
2. Mid table in the Championship
3. No, but on the centre circle straight after no matter what the result is.

1. For me it has to be Mike Bailey. For one season only we were mid table in the top division, not worrying about relegation or scrambling for promotion. However the then Mike Bamber shat himself like Dick Knight with Wilkins when the crowds dropped. Unfortunately, charasmatic managers don't always deliver

2. The Championship

3. After Saturday's game

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
1. Micky #1 though I remember a few people who didn't like him.
2. UEFA cup!
3. Immediately after the match.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Slade seems to me to be more popular than anyone since Cattlin, including Adams 1st time around. Adams was only ever here as a stepping stone and made that clear almost from the off. I think there were quite a few, like me, who loved waht he was doing but struggled to warm to the man. Slade seems to be loved by just about everybody at the moment and has brought back genuine enthusiasm to the fans for the 1st time in years.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
1) I always liked McGhee. How he kept us in the Championship that season with the lack of financial support from the board, and with the squad we had was unreal.
2) If he sticks around long enough he could quite easily be leading us out at Falmer as a Championship team. I can't wait to see who he signs in the summer.
3) No, but he should definitely be offered a 2-3 year deal regardless of whether we stay up or go down.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
McGhee was probably the most popular of the recent managers, probably followed by Micky Adams Mark One.

Under McGhee there was an appreciation that he'd done well to get a piss-pot club into the second tier of English football - and keep us there. Especially true as the Falmer battle was in full swing and a lot of the club's energies were focussed on that. Just shows how fans turn.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
1) Chris Cattlin
2) Championship
3) After the game (or at half-time if we are losing and need a lift!)

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Adams wasn't loved by everyone, in fact allot of people thought he was a dick! His recent stint (and ever since he left us first time) proved that he is actually a shit manager!

I would agree that McGhee was probably more popular than Adams in recent years but that may have been down to the fact he had a humorous song.

Too early to tell how far Slade can take us. Allot of factors involved, the main one being how much money he's going to have to spend.

If Slade keeps us up then he should be offered a year. He's hardly set the world alight since he's been here and we're still paying for two managers who have been sacked. The club need to learn from their mistakes.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Favourite ever? COPPELL without a shadow of a doubt.

How far can Slade take us? Higher in League 1. Not sure he has the tactical nous or connections higher up the football pyramid to get us into the Championship.

Number 3? No way should he be given the contract before Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here