Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Plumbing advice?

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Quick question - was in the loft this morning and noticed a slow steady drip coming from the Header Tank. Ran the hot water in the bathroom for 30 secs and back in the loft the Header Tank was filling (as it should?) and then when it stopped, the slow steady drip appeared again. Nothing coming out of the overflow - is the ball valve on the way out or is this normal?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ahead of random relies, you'll need to be more specific where the drip is from. a joint, a pipe, up high or bottom?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ask tomorrow as advice is double time on a Sunday :smile:

The ball valve will drip for a while after running water from the hot tap (or cold bathroom taps if connected to the tank)
The brass type ball valve doesn’t shut off immediately when the tank has refilled.
If the water wasn’t used overnight or for a whole day I would say water would drip from the overflow pipe if the ball valve was not shutting off properly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The ball valve will drip for a while after running water from the hot tap (or cold bathroom taps if connected to the tank)
The brass type ball valve doesn’t shut off immediately when the tank has refilled.
If the water wasn’t used overnight or for a whole day I would say water would drip from the overflow pipe if the ball valve was not shutting off properly.

Get that invoice off and it should be enough to cover tonight's shenanigans :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Quick question - was in the loft this morning and noticed a slow steady drip coming from the Header Tank. Ran the hot water in the bathroom for 30 secs and back in the loft the Header Tank was filling (as it should?) and then when it stopped, the slow steady drip appeared again. Nothing coming out of the overflow - is the ball valve on the way out or is this normal?
Push the float down so that another litre or so of water comes into the tank and let it go, if it still drips, then its leaking, if not, it is just not fully shut off at the point when it starts dripping instead of flowing.
If the water into the tank is easy to isolate, you could take the valve apart and clean it, it's probably a bit of scale, or might need a new washer. Plumber would probably just replace the whole thing, they are pretty cheap.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Very much this ☝️so get the ball valve changed first.

Depending on age of house, sometimes you will have hot/ cold/ heating pipes under the screed downstairs and as a water leak detective I’ve seen this many times where the pipes can pinhole, so if this has happened on hot supply it will let out water and tank will constantly keep filling without overflowing.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Very much this ☝️so get the ball valve changed first.

Depending on age of house, sometimes you will have hot/ cold/ heating pipes under the screed downstairs and as a water leak detective I’ve seen this many times where the pipes can pinhole, so if this has happened on hot supply it will let out water and tank will constantly keep filling without overflowing.
We had a new kitchen a couple of years ago and moved the sink and all the plumbing was above ground as all was visible. The only other thing to move was the mains that came up under the floor which was piped to the new location of the sink/plumbing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Push the float down so that another litre or so of water comes into the tank and let it go, if it still drips, then its leaking, if not, it is just not fully shut off at the point when it starts dripping instead of flowing.
If the water into the tank is easy to isolate, you could take the valve apart and clean it, it's probably a bit of scale, or might need a new washer. Plumber would probably just replace the whole thing, they are pretty cheap.
I stripped and rebuilt one in an old Art deco toilet some years ago, it was like new inside aside the washer . . . The new plastic stuff typically lasts about 5-7 years before it fails . . .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
We had a new kitchen a couple of years ago and moved the sink and all the plumbing was above ground as all was visible. The only other thing to move was the mains that came up under the floor which was piped to the new location of the sink/plumbing.
You’ll be fine then if all above ground, just a faulty ball valve.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
The saga continues........ mate is a plumber and he replaced the ball valve yesterday in the large cold water tank (we have two connected together, aren't we lucky!) Checked it this afternoon after not touching a hot water tap for a couple of hours, seemed ok so went for a wizz and flushed the toilet. Went back and it had started filling - wasn't aware that it may feed the toilet? Anyway it carried on merrily filling for half an hour, steadied to a drip (worse than with the old ball valve!) then stopped...........but 2 mins later started filling again. Popped into the loft with my torch and it was sporadically filling/dripping/stopping every couple of minutes - no taps/toilet touched. While I was up there at a point when it stopped, got Mrs B to flush the toilet to replicate and nothing! 2 mins later it started flowing again.....

It looks as though the ball valve is less than a ml from shutting off most of the time - it did stop straight away when I lent on the cold water feed which meant the float moved upwards! Water level looks just below where it should be from the watermark on the side of the tank - no overflow issues.

I'm a simple bloke with half a grasp of most things (a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous) but I've no idea where the water from the tank is going for it to refill without touching anything (no evidence of leaks) Not looking like the ball valve, in fact the dripping now appears to be worse....

Plumber mate went on hols this morning - any ideas?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The saga continues........ mate is a plumber and he replaced the ball valve yesterday in the large cold water tank (we have two connected together, aren't we lucky!) Checked it this afternoon after not touching a hot water tap for a couple of hours, seemed ok so went for a wizz and flushed the toilet. Went back and it had started filling - wasn't aware that it may feed the toilet? Anyway it carried on merrily filling for half an hour, steadied to a drip (worse than with the old ball valve!) then stopped...........but 2 mins later started filling again. Popped into the loft with my torch and it was sporadically filling/dripping/stopping every couple of minutes - no taps/toilet touched. While I was up there at a point when it stopped, got Mrs B to flush the toilet to replicate and nothing! 2 mins later it started flowing again.....

It looks as though the ball valve is less than a ml from shutting off most of the time - it did stop straight away when I lent on the cold water feed which meant the float moved upwards! Water level looks just below where it should be from the watermark on the side of the tank - no overflow issues.

I'm a simple bloke with half a grasp of most things (a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous) but I've no idea where the water from the tank is going for it to refill without touching anything (no evidence of leaks) Not looking like the ball valve, in fact the dripping now appears to be worse....

Benidorm?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Give him a call.....honestly, he wont mind at all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Try this.
If there is a separate isolation valve on the supply to your tank turn it off but take a measurement / make note of the water level.
Don’t use any water or flush the toilet for approximately an hour then check tank water level.

Check your toilet, does the toilet have an external overflow pipe? If so obviously check it’s not running.
If no external overflow check the water isn’t running into the toilet pan from the cistern.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Try this.
If there is a separate isolation valve on the supply to your tank turn it off but take a measurement / make note of the water level.
Don’t use any water or flush the toilet for approximately an hour then check tank water level.

Check your toilet, does the toilet have an external overflow pipe? If so obviously check it’s not running.
If no external overflow check the water isn’t running into the toilet pan from the cistern.
That sounds like a plan - toilet is working A1 - nothing from the overflow and nothing flowing into the pan - outlets are dry as a bone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here