Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Why bounce it? You'll think you're right whatever situation we are in.

I'm not bothered about people who aren't bothered about politics. But when I see people taking the trouble to post on a football message board to signal how little they are bothered, and suggest 'they are all the same', my immediate thought is this:

Hello, tory!

View attachment 182582
Certainly not a Tory. Never voted a mainstream party in my political life.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
You can argue it was clumsy but thats not what she said. It was a comment about day to day life experienced in Britain

Best explained by this letter in the Guardian

Speaking as a Jewish person (born and lifelong) and after 40 years married to an Irishman, I have to say that Diane Abbott is absolutely right. Of course Irish and Jewish people don’t suffer the racial abuse that Black people do – day in, day out. We are not immediately picked out as different and the police do not stop us if we drive nice cars. (Benjamin Zephaniah sold his BMW because he got stopped by the police so many times in it.) We do not worry, as Black families do, whether our children will be either racially attacked or falsely arrested by the police on their way home from school or a night out.

She speaks from bitter experience and she is entitled to her opinion. Her letter was answering an article the previous week, which was clearly there to engender a debate. Are we no longer allowed to debate issues in this country?

If Abbott – an MP who has worked hard for her constituents, which is what an MP is supposed to do – is not allowed to stand for Labour at the next election, I, as a lifelong Labour voter, will not vote Labour.

Angela Singer
Cambridge
That absolutely is what she said

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Starmer last spoke to Abbott 'two or three months ago'​

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer is in Greater Manchester, where he has been discussing the row around Diane Abbott.
He is asked about a social media post which claims he was lying about "having respect for her" as a Labour candidate in Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
Has he spoken to Ms Abbott since then?
"We have dealt with the Diane Abbott issue," Sir Keir says.
"The choice is continue with the chaos of division or turn the page with Labour."
The Labour leader says Ms Abbott "will be part of that".
Asked again, he says: "I spoke to Diane two or three months ago."

No issues there then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounding really forceful today, basically it's MY party and I'll use nukes if I want.
Pottymouth not quite so vehement.
Good to see strong leadership.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My thoughts exactly.

Not talking to Abbott for months, singing 'It's My Party and I'll Nuke if I want To' contrary to the views of his underlings, solid base indeed.
Did he really sing that? Wow..do you have a video of it?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You can argue it was clumsy but thats not what she said. It was a comment about day to day life experienced in Britain

Best explained by this letter in the Guardian

Speaking as a Jewish person (born and lifelong) and after 40 years married to an Irishman, I have to say that Diane Abbott is absolutely right. Of course Irish and Jewish people don’t suffer the racial abuse that Black people do – day in, day out. We are not immediately picked out as different and the police do not stop us if we drive nice cars. (Benjamin Zephaniah sold his BMW because he got stopped by the police so many times in it.) We do not worry, as Black families do, whether our children will be either racially attacked or falsely arrested by the police on their way home from school or a night out.

She speaks from bitter experience and she is entitled to her opinion. Her letter was answering an article the previous week, which was clearly there to engender a debate. Are we no longer allowed to debate issues in this country?

If Abbott – an MP who has worked hard for her constituents, which is what an MP is supposed to do – is not allowed to stand for Labour at the next election, I, as a lifelong Labour voter, will not vote Labour.

Angela Singer
Cambridge
She’s completely missing the point and twisted what Abbott said. Neither Abbott nor Ms Singer have clearly never sat in a synagogue with rocks being thrown at the window nor sat in an office full of people characterising Jewish people as having lots of money and having long noses as I have. This woman nor Dianne Abbott have clearly never suffered antisemitism herself nor been exposed to it but that does not mean it doesn’t exist..

Of course Jews suffer racial abuse all their lives. It is just a different type of abuse and often more subtle but just as devastating - not focussed on skin colour or sus laws but about race, culture and religion and a lot of it takes place online on social media. Literature is full of Jewish characters built on stereotypical tropes including relating to what Jews “look like” and is still taught in schools.

Racial discrimination doesn’t have to be directed at any one individual to exist. The whole group can be targeted. It IS antisemitic to delete centuries of racial persecution of the Jewish people, including the Holocaust and say compared to Black people, Jewish people don’t suffer racism like Black people - if the gassing or shooting of 6 million Jews doesn’t count as racial abuse then wtf was it? And Jewish people don’t stop being Jewish after being exposed to antisemitic behaviour, they are Jewish all their lives., Jewish tropes are ingrained in Western consciousness.

The only reason Starmer allowed Dianne Abbott to be reinstated and rubber stamped into a safe Constituency was to keep the Left of his Party quiet to avoid disruptions and a backbench rebellion going into the election and . If Abbott had been a moderate/centrist things may have been very different - I doubt she even would have had the whip restored.

Last edited:

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Just seen a Labour Party ad saying if the Tories get back in my mortgage is going up by £350!!! That’s outrageous

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
She’s completely missing the point and twisted what Abbott said. Neither Abbott nor Ms Singer have clearly never sat in a synagogue with rocks being thrown at the window nor sat in an office full of people characterising Jewish people as having lots of money and having long noses as I have. This woman nor Dianne Abbott have clearly never suffered antisemitism herself nor been exposed to it but that does not mean it doesn’t exist..

Of course Jews suffer racial abuse all their lives. It is just a different type of abuse and often more subtle but just as devastating - not focussed on skin colour or sus laws but about race, culture and religion and a lot of it takes place online on social media. Literature is full of Jewish characters built on stereotypical tropes including relating to what Jews “look like” and is still taught in schools.

Racial discrimination doesn’t have to be directed at any one individual to exist. The whole group can be targeted. It IS antisemitic to delete centuries of racial persecution of the Jewish people, including the Holocaust and say compared to Black people, Jewish people don’t suffer racism like Black people - if the gassing or shooting of 6 million Jews doesn’t count as racial abuse then wtf was it? And Jewish people don’t stop being Jewish after being exposed to antisemitic behaviour, they are Jewish all their lives., Jewish tropes are ingrained in Western consciousness.

The only reason Starmer allowed Dianne Abbott to be reinstated and rubber stamped into a safe Constituency was to keep the Left of his Party quiet to avoid disruptions and a backbench rebellion going into the election and . If Abbott had been a moderate/centrist things may have been very different - I doubt she even would have had the whip restored

This ^
All of it

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Labour drops legal action against Corbyn-era staff

The Labour Party has abandoned longstanding legal action against five former members of staff who have been accused of "conspiring" against Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership.
The action is estimated to have cost the party millions of pounds, which critics said could otherwise have been spent on the general election campaign.
The five included two key figures from the Jeremy Corbyn era – ex- director of communications Seumas Milne and Mr Corbyn’s former chief of staff Karie Murphy.
They were accused of leaking a controversial report soon after Sir Keir became the Labour leader in 2020.

'Eye-watering sums'​

A former shadow cabinet member – who did not wish to identified – told the BBC the party should have dropped the legal action earlier.

Good news all round :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here