Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton relegation battle

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've noticed recently how close Southampton are to the relegation zone in the Championship at the moment, not to mention getting stuffed 5-0 by Hull two days ago.

I've never felt the antipathy towards them as I do towards Pompey and that shyster Redknapp, but it would nonetheless be hilarious to see Saints slip into League One next season. Not sure why, as my memories of football don't stretch back to the Saints-Spurs stitch up in 1977(?).

They're just a nothing club, with an ugly plastic ground in a crap area of town, with very little to recommend them.

Another "big" club in League One? Yes please. Them or Coventry would be nice, as Col U and Scunny seem to have sewn up the other relegation places, and Sheffield Wednesday is a bit of a trek for next season.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
As much as I hate Southampton, it's amazing to see how many fans there are around town on a match day, the city center's packed with red and white - certainly different to a matchday in brighton.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i live a 5 min walk to the stadium and can hear the crowd on matchdays. its brilliant seeing a huge football crowd walk past my front door, especially as they are all thoroughly pissed off with how its going. its the first time in 3 years that i can wear my brighton shirt knowing that we are currently looking better than them!

imagine if we swapped leagues. shows the whole 'having a bigger stadium' thing dosen't work for all teams.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I quite like Southampton, but I'm hoping the region's SOCCERBALL clubs next season line up like this:

Premiership:
Portsmouth :angry:

Championship:
BRIGHTON :)
Reading :lolol:

League One:
Southampton :lolol: :lolol:

League Two:
Bournemouth :D
Aldershot :thumbsup:

Aldershot & Bournemouth are most likely to be making the move - I reckon Southampton being relegated is more likely than Reading going down or us going up to be honest.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I quite like Southampton, but I'm hoping the region's SOCCERBALL clubs next season line up like this:

Premiership:
Portsmouth :angry:

Championship:
BRIGHTON :)
Reading :lolol:

League One:
Southampton :lolol: :lolol:

League Two:
Bournemouth :D
Aldershot :thumbsup:

Aldershot & Bournemouth are most likely to be making the move - I reckon Southampton being relegated is more likely than Reading going down or us going up to be honest.

I'm surprised that Meridian and BBC South are even reporting on League 1, what with Bournemouth AND Gillingham set to get relegated.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm in the same boat as Hiney, with a lot of Saints mates. I would have quite a chuckle if they did go down. Newcastle still rank way above them on my relegation wish-list though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if we went up and Southampton went down who would get the greater coverage on local tele?
I think they'd be VERY careful to ensure Brighton got at least as much coverage as the stains for most of the season, until next April or May. And if Southampton won promotion, there would be "promotion special" programmes at 11pm in May and June and in the last few weeks it would be all about them. :(

Southampton's run-in is HORRIFIC (or HILARIOUS, depending on your point of view!):
I prefer HILARIOUS. :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Coventry (H) - WIN
Cardiff City (A) - lose
Bristol City (H) - lose
Charlton (A) - draw
Burnley (H) - draw
West Brom (A) - lose
Sheffield United (H) - lose

= 50 points = adios amigos.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I hope they stay up, so we can go there next season.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
the city center's packed with red and white - certainly different to a matchday in brighton.

I can't stand these overrated scummers.
They are only walk round the city on match days because theres f*** all else to do in that shit hole of a place.
Meridian and BBC South(ampton) Today think they are the only team that play on the south coast.
Never mind scummers keep clinging on to the 'Le Tissier years'

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The full name for TVS in the pre-Meridian days was TV Southampton I believe.

Would be funny to see them come down - just cos it's Southampton and they think they are so much better than Pompey, Brighton and the rest. Also because they released a member of my family who used to play for them without a second thought.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
im desperately upset that ill be leaving soton this year. i need AT LEAST 1 season to gloat.

screw it, i think failing my 3rd year and staying there would be worth it!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Coventry (H) - draw
Cardiff City (A) - draw
Bristol City (H) - lose
Charlton (A) - lose
Burnley (H) - lose
West Brom (A) - lose
Sheffield United (H) - lose

2 points

im being serious. they are WOEFUL at the moment. especially at home