Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The village / amateur 2024 CRICKET thread...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Test match Special posted this on Facebook:

cricket.jpg

Apparently 2 runs were scored off the first ball, which was a no ball, second ball went for 6.
Clearly Wedgwood should have bowled first.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good win, and a tidy all-round effort, personally.

Opposition won the toss, and put us in on a soft, drying pitch. Started well, but I came in after 2 quick wickets, with the innings rather in the balance at 145/6, with 13 overs left, and our gun opener 70 not out, but running out of partners.

I was tasked with playing Jack Leach to his Stokes. I blocked, as he carved his way to another ton - then had a dart myself, before getting caught in the deep on 20, having added 67 in 9 overs. The gun carried his bat for 132, in a total of 229/8.

Opposition batted okay, but were never quite up with the pace - finishing on 187/7. For me, another frugal spell, but once again short on wickets (9/1/20/1).

Good day - but tough day. Felt like I’d been hit by a truck this morning.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
VERY early start today [on the road by 7] as we set off for the 240 mile round trip to play Bedfordshire at Blunham CC.
We won the toss and batted - good opening stand helped us to 209/7 from 45
We were bolstered by the return of our star opening bat from an ACL rupture in January - he made a stylish 76 before holing out to deep square. Fair to say his teammates were pleased to have him back.
They batted tentatively in reply but were never up with the rate, losing their final wicket 75 runs short and still with16.4 overs remaining.

4 points in the bag - made the trip worthwhile.

Home against Nottinghamshire CCC next Sunday - will be a sterner test for the lads.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
VERY early start today [on the road by 7] as we set off for the 240 mile round trip to play Bedfordshire at Blunham CC.
We won the toss and batted - good opening stand helped us to 209/7 from 45
We were bolstered by the return of our star opening bat from an ACL rupture in January - he made a stylish 76 before holing out to deep square. Fair to say his teammates were pleased to have him back.
They batted tentatively in reply but were never up with the rate, losing their final wicket 75 runs short and still with16.4 overs remaining.

4 points in the bag - made the trip worthwhile.

Home against Nottinghamshire CCC next Sunday - will be a sterner test for the lads.
I didn't know Notts had any of their own young players.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Regardless of what happens with Sussex this season, my lad confirmed last night he will be heading Down Under this winter to play for North Tamworth in NSW (approx 4-5hrs NW of Sydney)
Hes absolutely buzzing about getting to spend 6 months out there playing a decent standard of club cricket - with air fares, accommodation, part time work, and a car all sorted out for him by the Redbacks.
What a fantastic opportunity!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Regardless of what happens with Sussex this season, my lad confirmed last night he will be heading Down Under this winter to play for North Tamworth in NSW (approx 4-5hrs NW of Sydney)
Hes absolutely buzzing about getting to spend 6 months out there playing a decent standard of club cricket - with air fares, accommodation, part time work, and a car all sorted out for him by the Redbacks.
Brilliant- hope he has the time of his life. Opportunities like that didn’t exist when I was a lad

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brilliant- hope he has the time of his life. Opportunities like that didn’t exist when I was a lad
I could have said the same. It wouldn’t be true though - the opportunities did exist, IF I’d been good enough!

I would absolutely LOVED to have played a season out there. It will be fantastic :clap2:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a great experience. I was out there in '95 and trained at Wynnum Manly in Brisbane. I trained with first teamers (only because my mate over there was best friends with the captain). It was basically county standard.

A funny story was how one evening I was invited to a session in the middle. The batsman was a Queensland U19 player and I was asked if I fancied a bowl with the others. I didn't hesitate. My first delivery forcing a play and miss outside the off stump. I knew I had to up my game. The next delivery I dropped slightly short and he pulled me for the biggest six I have ever seen. I think it's joined Ulloa's penalty in upper atmosphere.

Just training with them made me come back a better player. I had no choice. It may be tough for your lad at first, but if he has the desire his game will improve no end.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I didn't know Notts had any of their own young players.
Not quite sure what you mean?
Perhaps you are angling the senior men's team?
Anyways ....

To play CAG (County Age Group) cricket, the player must be aged between 9 and 19 AND meet 1 of the following:
a) reside within that County
b) was born within that County
c) be attending an educational establishment within that County
d) has been a playing member of a club within the County of the Boys’ CAG Programme in which they seek to participate for at least one prior full season
e) has participated in that Boys’ CAG programme during a previous season
f) have special permission from the ECB.

Maybe I just got whooshed?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Absolutely great opportunity, make sure he takes it with both hands.

Grade cricket over there is[was] 2-days played over 2 consecutive Saturdays - top order batters getting a duck batting first might not get another bat for FOUR weeks - make it count.

Few years back, one of the lads from my club went over. In his first net session the coach saw him bowl one down the leg side. He stopped the session and called all the players over as he announced: "Hey guys, this Pom has come all the way over from England to bowl leg-side - go-on Pom, show us again ...."

He said it was very daunting, but his team mates eventually took to him and he took the banter on the chin - hope @Fignon's Ponytail lad has thick-skin!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here