Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why aren't the mods doing their job?

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Lately there have been postings on NSC with titles that could get some of us into serious difficulties if the Big Board is left on our screens. I can access NSC at work but I suspect that will change if the powers-that-be see thread titles about smelly fannies etc.

It seems to me that some of the users on here have no respect for fellow users. Today's thread by Munkfish is an obvious example. I'm told there used to be some understanding about what thread titles could contain (ie certain words etc would not be used). Now though, some of our less mature members don't seem to give a hoot about what they put on here.

So what are the mods doing about it? Don't give me that guff about having to report it - we are talking thread TITLES here, not content of threads, although in today's case I reckon the whole thread should go as I can't think of any way to word the title without it being obvious what it is.

I really want to be able to use NSC at work, but I won't if this continues. Please have some respect for those of us in that situation.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Frankly I just don't want childish, sexist bullshit like that full stop. If it was racist to that degree mods would be having a shit fit. Even if the male mods are too scared,ineffective or blokeish then there is at least one female mod.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Lately there have been postings on NSC with titles that could get some of us into serious difficulties if the Big Board is left on our screens. I can access NSC at work but I suspect that will change if the powers-that-be see thread titles about smelly fannies etc.

It seems to me that some of the users on here have no respect for fellow users. Today's thread by Munkfish is an obvious example. I'm told there used to be some understanding about what thread titles could contain (ie certain words etc would not be used). Now though, some of our less mature members don't seem to give a hoot about what they put on here.

So what are the mods doing about it? Don't give me that guff about having to report it - we are talking thread TITLES here, not content of threads, although in today's case I reckon the whole thread should go as I can't think of any way to word the title without it being obvious what it is.

I really want to be able to use NSC at work, but I won't if this continues. Please have some respect for those of us in that situation.

I agree with you on this one mate. have had to turn screen off twice this pm at home.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sorry but I will give you "that guff about having to report it". I have spent a small amount of time on NSC today, and I have no idea what thread(s) you have an issue with. There has been one 'report post' today on NSC and it happened in the last few minutes (which is why I'm on NSC right now, checking it out) and I know it's nothing to do with whatever it is you are referring to.

Daytime moderation is always liker to be lighter as most mods, like me, have daytime jobs. As such there is little time to casually peruse the site looking for troublesome content.

When someone reports an NSC post it appears in my inbox in bright red, due to the auto filtering I have in place. I do this so I don't miss it and so that I can act on these as soon as I possibly can.

I simply can not over-state the importance of the ability of the NSC community to help the moderation process by reporting questionable postings. I've said this time and time again. Yet it seems that most still leave it for somebody else to take care of.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I say that people having animated vuvuzelas in their signatures is nearly as bad...

I have signatures and avatars permanently turned off in my User CP so I literally never see whatever works of art people come up with.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I have signatures and avatars permanently turned off in my User CP so I literally never see whatever works of art people come up with.

Can people make their own smilies then? I thought you assigned them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Frankly I just don't want childish, sexist bullshit like that full stop. If it was racist to that degree mods would be having a shit fit.

I agree on the subject of that particular thread. As a female poster, I chose not to comment on the thread itself as it would inevitably have attracted comments to the effect of "wind your neck in, love" and remarks about bra-burning, hairy armpitted feminists.

But I did think it was a particularly pathetic and derogatory thread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh i do so love the irony of the title and the problem.

i also love the idea that starting a bitching thread will do more than reporting it - which is more likly to get noted by the mods, especially if none happen to be on the forum? Bozza has answered, i would have thought it obvious though.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I spend pretty much most of the day on NSC, it's pretty easy as I use the Internet as part of my job, so it's always on in the background.

If I were a Mod, I would have taken action for sure, but I'm not. I assumed that mods were checking such posts and would have taken action if they deemed it bad enough.

Now, from what Bozza says, it seems like daytime modding is almost non existent, so I will click on the Red Triangle from now on !.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why aren't the mods doing their job? Because oddly enough its not their day job.

You want to access NSC at work, you do it at your own risk aye?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh, and why you're at it, can all of turienzo's lovechild's 'contest' threads be merged into one?!
:fishing:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here