Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Avatar question

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I've had reports that there is at least 40 minutes worth of adverts prior to this at the Odeon and when I took Mrs J. to see Nine the very helpful usher warned us that there was half an hour of adverts first, this gave us time to pop into The Fiddler's Elbow and for me to have a ciggy so well done to him.

Do the adverts go on for so long in Cineworld at the Marina?

I like watching trailers for future showings but sitting in a cinema watching adverts that you see on tv is not my idea of time well spent.

Thanks in advance

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
The adverts went on for a bit at the Odeon in Brighton when I went. Though you had to get in early, as it was packed by the time the film started.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't think the adverts were any longer than any other film when I saw it at the marina

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
There are usually 20 minutes of ads at the marina, sometimes up to 30 minutes, sometimes as few as 15 minutes depending on the film but with a major film like Avatar it'll be 20 minutes.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've never been to the cinema and had 30 minutes of adverts, that's mental.

15mins max I think and that's usually at Cineworld in Crawley

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking should be 20 mins max but my mate said it was 45 mins between getting in and the beginning of the film at the Odeon, that was after queueing for 45 mins to get in.

Like I said I was told half an hour when we saw Nine but we had paid extra for special seats so had no worry that we wouldn't sit next to each other if it got too packed (which it didn't anyway).

I don't mind "we sell this at the foyer" type stuff but Bank and highstreet ads just piss me off and puts me off going to the cinema.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Pet hate of mine.

The cinema chains get paid so much to allow advertisers to bore their captive audience to death that they should pay YOU for them getting the privelege of you ,their target customer, hearing their "message".

The advertisers are desperate for that segment because you can target an exact demographic for your product based on the type of film being shown (TV is much more scattergun).

Believe me the cinemas probably make as much revenue from that as they do from bums on seats.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Pet hate of mine.

The cinema chains get paid so much to allow advertisers to bore their captive audience to death that they should pay YOU for them getting the privelege of you ,their target customer, hearing their "message".

The advertisers are desperate for that segment because you can target an exact demographic for your product based on the type of film being shown (TV is much more scattergun).

Believe me the cinemas probably make as much revenue from that as they do from bums on seats.

Agreed, though the alternative is for them to hike the price of the tickets... Given that the ads are at the start (so can be missed by turning up late), it seems a fair trade off, despite it being a right pain in the arse. Mind you, the average cinema-goer seems to have money to burn with the quantity of over-priced snacks, sweets and drinks they buy...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cost of food and drink in these cinemas yet.*How* much for popcorn?? :mad:

Food?

Shit more like, take your own pack of butterkist if you are going to get the munchies and want to anoy people around you.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I saw it Saturday afternoon (badfan) and also popped into Fiddlers Elbow before hand. Doors opened at 4.00 with only approx 15min of adverts, I was out by 7.00.
It's the 1st time I'm been to cinema for years, my last time was the final Star Wars. It reminded me why I'm happy to wait for the DVD and watch in peace without constant rustling and people muttering in the row behind :angry:
If only I had 3d at home, that said there was an advert for Sky 3D coming soon.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I've had reports that there is at least 40 minutes worth of adverts prior to this at the Odeon and when I took Mrs J. to see Nine the very helpful usher warned us that there was half an hour of adverts first, this gave us time to pop into The Fiddler's Elbow and for me to have a ciggy so well done to him.

Do the adverts go on for so long in Cineworld at the Marina?

I like watching trailers for future showings but sitting in a cinema watching adverts that you see on tv is not my idea of time well spent.

Thanks in advance

Went last week to the marina, the adverts were'nt that long, the bonus is getting trailers in 3D. Alice In Wonderland looks amazing as well, Avatar by the way is simply the best piece of Sci-Fi cinema since Star Wars, and I'm not easily impressed.:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Avatar by the way is simply the best piece of Sci-Fi cinema since Star Wars, and I'm not easily impressed.:thumbsup:

Aside from the excellent effects and the 3-D though, Avatar was hardly original. The storylnie was on the rails.
I think the most amazing piece of sci-fi in recent(ish) years was The Matrix. That really did have something different about it. Shame they noused it up with the sequels, but that first one BLEW me away.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Aside from the excellent effects and the 3-D though, Avatar was hardly original. The storylnie was on the rails.
I think the most amazing piece of sci-fi in recent(ish) years was The Matrix. That really did have something different about it. Shame they noused it up with the sequels, but that first one BLEW me away.

Neither was Star Wars but thats not the point!! Agree Matrix was good but Avatar blows it out the water in terms of effects, I like a good in depth yarn but sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yep. It was like the other 2 films were just an afterthought. If they'd left it at just one film it would go down as one of the best films of all time, in my STUPID opinion.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the cost of food and drink in these cinemas yet.*How* much for popcorn?? :mad:

Take your own food.

A big tube of Barbecue Pringles,Kit Kats and Lucozade still orange are my choices.:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Neither was Star Wars but thats not the point!! Agree Matrix was good but Avatar blows it out the water in terms of effects, I like a good in depth yarn but sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

The 3-D was good as a novelty factor (certainly the most effective 3-D I've ever seen), but the CGI was no better or worse than most of the other CGI-driven flicks of recent years imo. Avatar is a good film, but I think people are going a bit overboard with it to be honest. Perhaps I'm just a bit CGI-d out these days. Now you've got powerful consoles like the PS3 and X-Box regularly displaying a similar standard of graphics, its getting more and more like watching a computer game.

I watched The Matrix genuinely not knowing what to expect, which made it more enjoyable (for me) than Avatar, which was entertaining, but very predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here