Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent to Villa?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If anyone saw the midlands derby yesterday can see what Villas problems are. Carew up front and Agbonlahor out wide on the right,madness! Why Bent would want to go to Villa baffles me.

I dont rate Agbonlahor that highy, I think he has been well and truely found out and needs to adapt his game. Dont think he has scored this year.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Developing transfer news on SSN, suggest Sunderland are reluctantly accepting a bid from Villa (having previously refused them - hints Bent has requested a transfer after being made aware of the interest).

It is being presented as a major news story as if this will change the premier league as we know it.

Over egging it a bit, I think.

So why bore us with it ?

I dont rate Agbonlahor that highy, I think he has been well and truely found out and needs to adapt his game. Dont think he has scored this year.

Nope he hasn't in Premier League play but he has netted one in League and one in Europe. Injury plagued for the start of the season and such. From what I have seen of him play this season I don't rate him nor would Cappello.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
£18 million for a 29 year-old is not very good business. I think Darren Bent is a decent striker but Randy Lerner seems to have lost the plot this season with Aston Villa.

£18 million for a 29 year-old is not very good business. I think Darren Bent is a decent striker but Randy Lerner seems to have lost the plot this season with Aston Villa.

Disagree a wee bit, it's Houllier who's lost the plot. If you saw him lead Villa out at Anfield recently you'd know. You could see it on his face, completely defeated.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
An enormous sum of cash considering his seeming inability to play a basic pass, but the man is a proven goalscorer and certainly gets into finishing positions 9 times more per game than the likes of Carew and Heskey. He's guaranteed 18 a season, so might earn his cost and settle Villa in mid-table.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Whether its Lerner or Houllier who has lost the plot, £18M rising to £24M is just far far too much for Bent. Yes he might be a goal scorer but lets face it.....he takes penalties. I could go out and buy Adebayor, Pienaar & Charlie Adam for that amount of money, and get not only goals goals goals but creativity as well.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Hes 27.

I actually think its a good deal for both clubs. It is a lot of money for Sunderland but also Villa are in serious danger and you are guaranteed Premier League goals from him that will keep them up this season and make them a lot more money than £18 million and push them on next year.

Yes £18 million is a lot of money but at the end of the day it is the going rate, Liverpool paid £18 million for Glen Johnson for gods sake and 20 plus premier league goalscorers are a lot harder to find than average right backs

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
5Live tonight were saying:

1) Bent's got as many Prem goals as Rooney and Drogba since 2005
2) Bent will go to Villa
3) Robbie Keane will go to Sunderland
3) Chelsea haven't put in an official bid for Pienaar and he's off to Spurs.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009

Rubbish.

Drogba is 32 and I bet he'll go for at least £18m.

Bent and Drogba have a similar record. One at a top end club, one at a mid table club.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
not worth 18 million FACT, only one winner from this deal, his agent, must be rubbing his hands all the way to the bank

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

2) Bent will go to Villa

DO 5Live no if Elliott is going to Norwich

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

2) Bent will go to Villa

I have heard its Pav thats off to Sunderland and not Keane.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
18 million pound for a (actually) 26 year-old who's a proven goalscorer (despite moving from club to club and treated like shit at Spurs has 9 goals less than Rooney and three goals less than Drogba in the Premeirship in the last 5 years) is a good bit of business.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bent and Pavluchenko are such similar players, IMO. Could be a tremendous piece of business for Bruce if can get a cut price Pavluchenko.

Pav cant play as a loan striker in the same way Bent can, but Pav will get them goals he is Spurs top Scoring forward this year.

They can have Crouch for free.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Redknapp would be mad to let Pav go. Keane, on the other hand, is expendable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here