Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hmm, let me think, would I prefer a weaker economy with no fossil fuels yet a habtiable planet for all or would I rather we destroyed the planet and only the very rich nations survive ( if they're lucky ) ? Difficult one I'll accept.

The problem is that this is like the prisoner's dilemma. If all countries worked together to use renewable fuels, then all countries would benefit. But if some countries don't bother, then they will benefit from the work of other countries and also do better financially from their use of fossil fuels. So you're obviously not going to all countries to agree to drop fossil fuels.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Indeed.

The sort of people who will murder a person who works at an abortion clinic (this has happened in the US) are not part of mainstream society, and yet their position is what drives the laws in some states in the US. I find the imperative to pander to extremism hard to understand.
There does appear to be a cultural norm these days that it is unacceptable to admit when you are wrong or that your position has changed (or is different from your peers) - as people that do are attacked and ridiculed for doing so. This seems to lead to a social pressure from their peers to double down when challenged on their opinions I feel.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There does appear to be a cultural norm these days that it is unacceptable to admit when you are wrong or that your position has changed (or is different from your peers) - as people that do are attacked and ridiculed for doing so. This seems to lead to a social pressure from their peers to double down when challenged on their opinions I feel.
Yes, certainly online anyway - social media has a lot to answer for I think. Irl, debates and conversations are much more nuanced but on social media forums where people seem to seek far too much validation for who they are/how much they are liked, there is a culture of ’silencing’ legitimate inquiry/debate in favour of perpetuating echo chambers and the school of polarised opinion. Also, when people feel more and more powerless to influence the world around them irl, they tend to seek online communities that affirm their world view. Unfortunately most online communities are primarily glued together by other largely anonymous subscribers who are also only looking for affirmation of pre-existing views that they have no intention of changing or moderating. Anyone that seriously challenges those views risks being to bullied/ignored/derided so most impose upon themselves a sort of voluntary gag order for self-preservation or post the prevailing ‘truth’ as a passport for belonging.

“it is now clear that social media has far-reaching social, political, and ethical consequences for the way in which reality is disseminated online, in turn influencing human thought and action”

(https://www.standrewslawreview.com/post/arbiters-of-truth-the-un-reality-of-social-media-platforms)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There does appear to be a cultural norm these days that it is unacceptable to admit when you are wrong or that your position has changed (or is different from your peers) - as people that do are attacked and ridiculed for doing so.

I can't speak for everyone, but I won't attack or ridicule you if you've come to realise that Trump is a liar and criminal and in it purely for himself, and I don't think others here will either.

This seems to lead to a social pressure from their peers to double down when challenged on their opinions I feel.
Yes, but the fact that you've recognised that suggests you're beginning to feel free to change.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I can't speak for everyone, but I won't attack or ridicule you if you've come to realise that Trump is a liar and criminal and in it purely for himself, and I don't think others here will either.

Yes, but the fact that you've recognised that suggests you're beginning to feel free to change.
I do hope you haven't ever mistaken me for being a Trump supporter?

🤔

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I’m pretty sure @lasvegan was being tongue in cheek with this ‘analysis’

Perhaps read my preceding posts with him on the previous page 🤷‍♂️
I suppose it is possible that I’d had several 11% beers and was being a bit of a wind up merchant. I will tone down my sense of humor (or lack there of) and start treating the Trump/Biden (you couldn’t make it up) debate with the seriousness it duly deserves.

I have a nasty sinus infection and was self medicating…

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I suppose it is possible that I’d had several 11% beers and was being a bit of a wind up merchant. I will tone down my sense of humor (or lack there of) and start treating the Trump/Biden (you couldn’t make it up) debate with the seriousness it duly deserves.

I hope do hope you don’t

Having opposing political views and a sense of humour are not mutually exclusive :wink: - I think we both can see the absurdity of an election (you couldn’t make it up) that has an octogenarian who looks like he should be in a nursing home pitted against a buffoon who’s character is the complete antithesis to everyone’s idea of ’Presidential’!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
A complete mockery of the US legal system when 2 disgraced lawyers may be the “star witnesses” in a sham trial.

Don't trust the guy who I asked to lie (and commit fraud) for me, he's a liar!

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A complete mockery of the US legal system when 2 disgraced lawyers may be the “star witnesses” in a sham trial.

the people who know him seem to dislike him and have little respect for him, maybe it's something personal

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Have you tried injecting bleach or shining a bright light to self medicate :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

As a Trump supporter, I'm surprised to see you attacking his defence team here. Why the change of heart?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
As a Trump supporter, I'm surprised to see you attacking his defence team here. Why the change of heart?
I think @lasvegan was probably attacking the fact the CoJ case against Trump is even being tried at all rather than attacking /the defence team per se - because any criminal justice system that can convict a Lawyer for fraud against his client (who he was defending against the current Defendant in another trial to be released from a NDA/hush money agreement), yet can then allow that same suspended Lawyer to defend the Defendant (Trump) in a case where he denies paying that victim off in the first place with a NDA…

I wouldn’t go as far as @lasvegan to call the whole trial a ‘sham’ but, well it certainly makes a bit of an donkey’s arse of the law doesn’t it?

On top of that, it is pretty obvious Aventti is an opportunist who is angling for a tit for tat from Trump so he can get a Presidential pardon if Trump is elected- imo nobody in prison ever helps anyone with a Court case unless it’s to make a deal to reduce/commute his own sentence.

This was a Fox News story anyway - so probably a bit of pro-Trump BS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think @lasvegan was probably attacking the fact the CoJ case against Trump is even being tried at all rather than attacking /the defence team per se - because any criminal justice system that can convict a Lawyer for fraud against his client (who he was defending against the current Defendant in another trial to be released from a NDA/hush money agreement), yet can then allow that same suspended Lawyer to defend the Defendant (Trump) in a case where he denies paying that victim off in the first place with a NDA…

I wouldn’t go as far as @lasvegan to call the whole trial a ‘sham’ but, well it certainly makes a bit of an donkey’s arse of the law doesn’t it?

On top of that, it is pretty obvious Aventti is an opportunist who is angling for a tit for tat from Trump so he can get a Presidential pardon if Trump is elected- imo nobody in prison ever helps anyone with a Court case unless it’s to make a deal to reduce/commute his own sentence.

This was a Fox News story anyway - so probably a bit of pro-Trump BS.

I know it's Fox News, but my point is that the situation doesn't actually speak negatively of the criminal justice system, but rather the desperation of the defence team. It's a good thing that the prosecution/defence can call anyone. That one of them should need to call an opportunist criminal sheds light on that team.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I know it's Fox News, but my point is that the situation doesn't actually speak negatively of the criminal justice system, but rather the desperation of the defence team. It's a good thing that the prosecution/defence can call anyone. That one of them should need to call an opportunist criminal sheds light on that team.
I know what your point is - but are you are arguing with the wrong person - you criticised @lasvegan for attacking the defence team - I said that I think he was probably attacking the trial/CoJ for being a sham rather than the defence team that’s all.

I didn’t say I agreed with him either way so if you want an argument, you are addressing the wrong person as I said..

I’ll guess he’ll speak for himself later but that was my impression of his post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here