Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England World Cup Squad

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Announced at 2, snippets already coming out.

No Fikayo Tomori, Marc Guehi, Tammy Abraham, Ivan Toney, Jarrod Bowen and James Ward-Prowse

Looks like Phillips and Walker are in, despite not kicking a ball in weeks

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Lot of talk about White and Burn going. How ironic would that be when Dunk inevitably isn’t going

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No Fikayo Tomori, Marc Guehi, Tammy Abraham, Ivan Toney, Jarrod Bowen and James Ward-Prowse

Think those left out are fair decisions, other than Toney who should absolutely be in the squad.

Phillips made his comeback yesterday but him going says a bit about Englands not great central midfield-situation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Out of that lot I'd have only gone with Tomori, and maybe Toney, anyway.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Burn getting selected would be a completely left field selection by Southgate. He obviously needs to deal with the left side of his defence. He's used Maguire almost exclusively there and for a long time his back up was Mings.

He finally seems to have seen sense on Mings but is now faced with a dreadfully out of form Maguire and only one left back. Unfortunately due to picking Maguire and Mings in squad after squad he doesn't have anyone else who plays there normally that he's had in a squad.

So does he go for tried and trusted Mings? A right sided centre half? Or a left field call like Burn? Burn's never been in a Southgate squad and has never represented England at any level. Everything about Southgate's previous squad selections suggest that he wouldn't pick Burn, he'd go with one of the first two options but maybe with the 3 extra players allowed for this tournament he might just risk it.

I'd take Dunk myself but as a Brighton fan that probably goes without saying. I'd also strongly consider March now that both Chillwell and James are out and Walker is coming back from injury. Ben White should be a shoo-in.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Think those left out are fair decisions, other than Toney who should absolutely be in the squad.

Phillips made his comeback yesterday but him going says a bit about Englands not great central midfield-situation.

The two CBs are levels above Mings and Maguire.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I expect to be disappointed but unsurprised when he announces a squad liberally sprinkled with out of form dross and players who are far from match fit due to injury. He really is incredibly blinkered. Watching Mings at the weekend I noticed he has developed a new skill of kicking the ball straight up in the air in his own box, to complement his long-practised skill of shanking his clearances straight out of play.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton) Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Coady (on loan at Everton from Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City) Ben White (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Maddison (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool).

Forwards: Marcus Rashford (Man United), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Callum Wilson (Newcastle).

f***ing Henderson lol

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m clearly in the minority here so I respect the collective opinion, but I do find it a little hard to fathom the dismay and animosity towards a manager with far and away the best tournament record since sir Alf left his post 48 years ago.

Yes, we got somewhat lucky with the way the draw fell in those tournaments, but when many of Southgate’s predecessors have failed to make it beyond the group stage or had us knocked out by the likes of Iceland, he deserves some credit, doesn’t he?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lot of talk about White and Burn going. How ironic would that be when Dunk inevitably isn’t going
I'd have White and Burn in - alongside Dunk and Webster. Add Tomori and Stones and that for me is good collection of 6 centre backs. Unfortunately by all accounts only 2 of those will be in.

If he really hasn't picked Tomori and Maddison then he's more useless than I already thought.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Maguire? Mings?

At least Southgate doesn't need to worry about taking the pool inflatables this time round.

They'll do.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I expect to be disappointed but unsurprised when he announces a squad liberally sprinkled with out of form dross and players who are far from match fit due to injury. He really is incredibly blinkered. Watching Mings at the weekend I noticed he has developed a new skill of kicking the ball straight up in the air in his own box, to complement his long-practised skill of shanking his clearances straight out of play.
I’m still convinced his goal v us last season was him trying to control it……

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m still convinced his goal v us last season was him trying to control it……
His heading is on a par with Liam Dickinson’s. Have seen him on numerous occasions simply head the ball straight up in the air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here