Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I used to plant about 15 plants in a rectangle..... usually ended up having to eat about 45 cobs in about a fortnight before they went starchy. I don't grow them any more !

Bloody worth it when you do get some though....straight off the plant and onto the barbie. Baste in melted butter, chilli and lime continuously.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bloody worth it when you do get some though....straight off the plant and onto the barbie. Baste in melted butter, chilli and lime continuously.

I don't have the teeth for them anymore though !

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One for Jack Straw, our Photinia Red Robin Shrub is healthy but leggy, I don't just want leaves at the top, but at low level as well.

1. Can I give it a hard pruning down to say 1m above ground level (currently over 2m high)?
2. When should I do this - not now I would have thought?

Many thanks

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
One for Jack Straw, our Photinia Red Robin Shrub is healthy but leggy, I don't just want leaves at the top, but at low level as well.

1. Can I give it a hard pruning down to say 1m above ground level (currently over 2m high)?
2. When should I do this - not now I would have thought?

Many thanks

"Yes" and "Yes"!
Cut down to just above a shoot or a bud if you can. If you can't find one, just anywhere you fancy. They're pretty tough old things. Give it a feed if you can, and a good watering. That will help to get it whizzing again. If you can get hold of some organic matter, mulch around the stem to the same area as the canopy. You haven't mentioned the width, but if it's 1m across, mulch the same 1m area diameter underneath.
We love a photo here, especially before and afters, then of progress.
Stat Brother is also doing similar with his!

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
"Yes" and "Yes"!
Cut down to just above a shoot or a bud if you can. If you can't find one, just anywhere you fancy. They're pretty tough old things. Give it a feed if you can, and a good watering. That will help to get it whizzing again. If you can get hold of some organic matter, mulch around the stem to the same area as the canopy. We haven't mentioned the width, but if it's 1m across, mulch the same 1m area underneath.

Without even seeing a picture, my money's on jakarta. Sorry Stat :wink:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
"Yes" and "Yes"!
Cut down to just above a shoot or a bud if you can. If you can't find one, just anywhere you fancy. They're pretty tough old things. Give it a feed if you can, and a good watering. That will help to get it whizzing again. If you can get hold of some organic matter, mulch around the stem to the same area as the canopy. You haven't mentioned the width, but if it's 1m across, mulch the same 1m area diameter underneath.

Many Thanks, I'm a technophobe but I have taken a couple of photos so will see if I can work out how to insert them. Happy to chop things down, its Mrs Jakarta's job to grow them...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Many Thanks, I'm a technophobe but I have taken a couple of photos so will see if I can work out how to insert them. Happy to chop things down, its Mrs Jakarta's job to grow them...

My pleasure. When I upload photos, I use the "Go advanced" button near the bottom of the page. Make sure your photos are smaller than 2 mb.
It's very satisfying cutting shrubs, but the thing to remember is that what is left behind is more important than how big the pile of cuttings is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's the rose in question which is too stooopid to know there's a wall behind it:-

View attachment 123290

View attachment 123291
If you look closely in this one you might even be able to see some 3 week old baby poppies.

and here it is now, grateful for the advise and incredibly thankful it's owner is a freakin genius:-

View attachment 123292

Right then you fun sponges!

As you all ignored my brilliant cyclist solution to the climbing rose, here it is now:-

IMG_20200513_163100.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Right then you fun sponges!

As you all ignored my brilliant cyclist solution to the climbing rose, here it is now:-

View attachment 123555

Actually, that looks pretty good what you've done there. I was going to reply after seeing your clever use of inner-tubes, but forgot. Keep those nice new strong growths going. Don't cut them. More photos in a few weeks please.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we've got him
Nah the detritus around it would suggest otherwise.
I do pull the odd weed out of Poppy Patch in the morning, but that's it.

You might have Jnr though.
He cleared the last border, finally ridding it of a belligerent ivy, he's pretty excited the tip is now open and we've lined him up with some forestry work experience.

So he's fairly full on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poppy seed distribution isn't a strong point at Chez Stat.

View attachment 122954

Edit.

This thread tells me these poppy seeds have been in the ground for exactly 2 weeks.

A further 2 weeks on, Poppy Patch celebrating it's 1 month anniversary:-

IMG_20200514_091201.jpg

Here's the rest of jnr's handy work in that time.

IMG_20200514_104206.jpg

IMG_20200514_091129.jpg

The bag of weeds in that shot is the smallest one of 3 he's removed from the borders!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d be concerned about the wall in the second pic its leaning to the right ...how big is your park...sorry garden by the way ..looks quite large from those photos

It wobbles all over the place.
I too am concerned, but my neighbour who once built an office with attached storage area, climbing frame and swing, in one weekend said it was fine.

So it's fine!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I’d be concerned about the wall in the second pic its leaning to the right ...how big is your park...sorry garden by the way ..looks quite large from those photos

Deleted (sorry, wrong post).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A further 2 weeks on, Poppy Patch celebrating it's 1 month anniversary:-

View attachment 123593

Here's the rest of jnr's handy work in that time.

View attachment 123594

View attachment 123595

The bag of weeds in that shot is the smallest one of 3 he's removed from the borders!!
Looking good. Get S.J. to very carefully dig out the Convulvulous and grass from beneath the rose. Convulvulous roots look like spaghetti and it is important to get every single bit out. Apparently, even a 1mm long piece left in the ground will produce a new plant.
Be careful when S.J. gets going on his forestry. He will ask for a chain-saw for his Birthday or Christmas, whatever comes first, and will be looking for stuff to saw down! You need certification for chain-saw use at work, but he will tell you he's not at "work" in your garden. You have been warned!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Looking good. Get S.J. to very carefully put dig out the Convulvulous and grass from beneath the rose. Convulvulous roots look like spaghetti and it is important to get every single bit out. Apparently, even a 1mm long piece left in the ground will produce a new plant.
Be careful when S.J. gets going on his forestry. He will ask for a chain-saw for his Birthday or Christmas, whatever comes first, and will be looking for stuff to saw down! You need certification for chain-saw use at work, but he will tell you he's not at "work" in your garden. You have been warned!

Best of luck with that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here