[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Still thinking about replacing my leatherjacket decimated grass. Has anybody on here heard of or installed Easigrass Artificial Grass? If so, what do they think?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Jack any advice ..this is shedding a lot and look at the leaves

DD5A66A9-EAFC-40E9-880B-0F3EA5292006.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jack any advice ..this is shedding a lot and look at the leaves

View attachment 123706

Cordylines are pretty tough things, and drop their leaves on a regular basis as they form trunks.
Did you wrap the growing tip over winter with fleece or similar? If so, it could be fungal damage.
It should be fine eventually, even if you don't do anything to it other than remove the leaves that will look better off than on. It's probably a bit of rust or some sort of virus. Remember the motto, no, not WLB, but "It's got two chances!"
Coldean Seagull is the real exotics guru. He may be able to be more precise.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cordylines are pretty tough things, and drop their leaves on a regular basis as they form trunks. It should be fine eventually, even if you don't do anything to it other than remove the leaves that will look better off than on. It's probably a bit of rust or some sort of virus. Remember the motto, no, not WLB, but "It's got two chances!"

This is the other photo..it’s not growing horizontally

BA69B9D4-ED57-482C-A259-ECC903BEF176.jpeg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Cordylines have a habit of shutting off life to branches or even whole limbs with multi heads, but the damage is from cold and wet together. If this happens you do get more growth from different parts on the trunk....this buggers up the look of the plant for a few years. It might just be desiccation from the strong winds we've had recently, in which case it'll throw a hissy fit and drop muliple leaves. You have to remember it's throwing out flowers, so it's energy is elsewhere at the moment.
Short version, it's fine, nothing to worry about.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Still thinking about replacing my leatherjacket decimated grass. Has anybody on here heard of or installed Easigrass Artificial Grass? If so, what do they think?

Can't help I'm afraid. Something I've never been involved with. However, there was a thread on here about artificial grass a while back. Here it is;
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-garden-sport-area&highlight=Artificial+grass
As with all NSC requests for help, you need to sift through, past the humorous replies!
PS. Have you tried turning it off and turning in on again!! :D

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't help I'm afraid. Something I've never been involved with. However, there was a thread on here about artificial grass a while back. Here it is;
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-garden-sport-area&highlight=Artificial+grass
As with all NSC requests for help, you need to sift through, past the humorous replies!
PS. Have you tried turning it off and turning in on again!! :D

Thanks for that - I should have realised artificial grass would have it's own thread - what doesn't on NSC!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
plant.png

Can someone help me identify this please. I have a large garden (tory) and this is underneath a weeping willow in the border, quite a lot of it!!

Last edited:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I had a quick question, my fatsias new growth is looking a bit odd this year, all three plants. I've seen another one in a different garden look the same so wondering if it's maybe frost damage?

20200517-104650.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I had a quick question, my fatsias new growth is looking a bit odd this year, all three plants. I've seen another one in a different garden look the same so wondering if it's maybe frost damage?

View attachment 123715

Probably frost, although it could be that the leaves haven't quite fully grown, like when a butterfly emerges and has to get blood in to its wings before they go nice and flat. Could be Thrip damage. Regardless, your Fatsia will romp this year and soon outgrow this bit of disfiguration. Nothing to worry about at all.
My friend has three variegated Fatsias which all looked like that recently. Having looked at them a few days ago, they look as good as new.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

View attachment 123715

I find this photo is offensive. Why have you posted it here? Are you gloating?
It's....it's.....a hosta with no slug damage:shootself
The fatsia I think looks like capsid bug damage on the forming leaf buds, but not positive

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cordylines have a habit of shutting off life to branches or even whole limbs with multi heads, but the damage is from cold and wet together. If this happens you do get more growth from different parts on the trunk....this buggers up the look of the plant for a few years. It might just be desiccation from the strong winds we've had recently, in which case it'll throw a hissy fit and drop muliple leaves. You have to remember it's throwing out flowers, so it's energy is elsewhere at the moment.
Short version, it's fine, nothing to worry about.

Thanks ..I’ll pass that on to my customer ..the wind theory makes sense

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here