Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Small chance of rain (locally) early tomorrow and that’s it according to the forecast round to next Wednesday.....grass is going to look knackered if this carries on....felt very warm today and yet last week frost ...daft weather

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bit of a long shot as the picture is bad but can anyone tell me what this flower is? My girlfriend wanted to go to a garden centre this weekend but not a chance given the queues earlier this week. But as I am stuck at home and she is working, I don't mind queuing up today. She bought this flower a while back and wants some more but can't remember what it is. I tried the Android app but all it did was crash. Annoyingly, the wind last night blew off half the petals and combined with the lighting, the picture isn't great but worth a go. Be nice to get her a little something to cheer her up.

IMG_20200522_094019.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Small chance of rain (locally) early tomorrow and that’s it according to the forecast round to next Wednesday.....grass is going to look knackered if this carries on....felt very warm today and yet last week frost ...daft weather

Even the attractive weather forecast lady said the rain won't be enough for gardeners. So, you all know what to do!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bit of a long shot as the picture is bad but can anyone tell me what this flower is? My girlfriend wanted to go to a garden centre this weekend but not a chance given the queues earlier this week. But as I am stuck at home and she is working, I don't mind queuing up today. She bought this flower a while back and wants some more but can't remember what it is. I tried the Android app but all it did was crash. Annoyingly, the wind last night blew off half the petals and combined with the lighting, the picture isn't great but worth a go. Be nice to get her a little something to cheer her up.

View attachment 123921

Yes, photo isn't helpful. The flower looks like one of those artificial silk ones?! The mauve stuff on the right is Oxalis, but need a better photo of the plant the "flower" is on for proper ID.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, photo isn't helpful. The flower looks like one of those artificial silk ones?! The mauve stuff on the right is Oxalis, but need a better photo of the plant the "flower" is on for proper ID.

Realised I was being stupid by using my tablet and used my phone. Poor thing is being hammered by the wind but this will be as good as it gets. I know less than zero about all things horticultural.

20200522_095552.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think you may have to go into the garden centre and ask to see their Peonies ???

Hah - had to do exactly that to stop myself walking around in circles. Hopefully bought myself some brownie points - thanks all.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Realised I was being stupid by using my tablet and used my phone. Poor thing is being hammered by the wind but this will be as good as it gets. I know less than zero about all things horticultural.

View attachment 123922

...and it's a Peony from me. You have four Peonies!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

View attachment 123922

That's a white flower, I repeat a WHITE FLOWER.

They can be confused with red flowers, so you were right to ask us experts.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

View attachment 123922

Well they didn't have a white one. So I may have inadvertently bought a cactus or a pear tree. We'll see when she gets home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well they didn't have a white one. So I may have inadvertently bought a cactus or a pear tree. We'll see when she gets home.

We've all made that mistake, in the past.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 123922

You've come on in leaps and bounds since becoming a regular contributor to this thread!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's play a game of:-

Poppy or Grass

IMG_20200523_081931.jpg

The small patch of poppies I was keeping a record of has regressed, whereas a foot away the growing is out of control, as you'll see on Thursday's photo shoot.
90% of the growth looks like baby poppies.

But intertwined with that is the above.

Everything about it to me says it's grass doing a reclaim, but the way they are growing is identical to that of the poppies, hence the question.

I don't want to pick out the 'grass' only to find it was one of the 4 different poppy varies I bought.
I don't want to leave the 'grass' and have it overrun the poppies.

Oh and I didn't keep the empty packets of poppies because nobody told me too, so that's on you!
(One variety was Iceland Poppy, that's all I can remember).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

View attachment 123922

There are multiple varieties. When you visit the garden centre make sure you ask for My Little Peony.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Let's play a game of:-

Poppy or Grass

The small patch of poppies I was keeping a record of has regressed, whereas a foot away the growing is out of control, as you'll see on Thursday's photo shoot.
90% of the growth looks like baby poppies.

But intertwined with that is the above.

Everything about it to me says it's grass doing a reclaim, but the way they are growing is identical to that of the poppies, hence the question.

I don't want to pick out the 'grass' only to find it was one of the 4 different poppy varies I bought.
I don't want to leave the 'grass' and have it overrun the poppies.

Oh and I didn't keep the empty packets of poppies because nobody told me too, so that's on you!
(One variety was Iceland Poppy, that's all I can remember).

Grass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here