Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some of the most interesting posts on here are people sharing their garden photos (in whatever stage of development). Come on, don't be shy.

Here ya go.

2008-2019
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 20.59.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 20.59.28 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 20.59.28 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 20.59.28 (1).jpeg

21015959_10207547896534250_5892178179578896250_o.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Another friend's garden I've done. Yes - I've got two friends!

Attachments

• NSC1.JPG
    NSC1.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 66
  • NSC2.JPG
    NSC2.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 70
  • NSC3.JPG
    NSC3.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 62

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Beautiful. Sort of gone from one jungle to another. I often reflect on gardens I've had and realise it's just an exercise in replacing one type of abundance with another.

Half of our large garden was a jungle I inherited. 70’ high Leylandii, 6’ brambles, teasels, nettles, bindweed, dozens of old concrete post footings, the lot. It took me years in my spare time to clear, including tree and perennial weed roots.

Probably a haven for wildlife, I felt a bit guilty. But apart from a lawn in the middle, everything I’ve done since helps wildlife. Including planting a very long double row mixes native hedge. Not meant by design, but capturing carbon.

Very therapeutic for me. I stubbornly never sought assistance from builders/landscapers, the process and the final results made it all worth it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Half of our large garden was a jungle I inherited. 70’ high Leylandii, 6’ brambles, teasels, nettles, bindweed, dozens of old concrete post footings, the lot. It took me years in my spare time to clear, including tree and perennial weed roots.

Probably a haven for wildlife, I felt a bit guilty. But apart from a lawn in the middle, everything I’ve done since helps wildlife. Including planting a very long double row mixes native hedge. Not meant by design, but capturing carbon.

Very therapeutic for me. I stubbornly never sought assistance from builders/landscapers, the process and the final results made it all worth it.

It was worth the effort. it's stunning.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is absolutely stunning and I think to achieve that in just 11 years is incredible [emoji106]
Very many thanks. It was very hard work at first for a year or two. Now it's a matter of keeping things in check. It tends to be very shaded due mostly to tall bamboo plants dotted about. It looks a mess at the moment as I'm about to have a pergola built onto the back of the house which meant moving two large treeferns and large stands of bamboo which were cut into a pathway for a secluded table and seats. A garden should evolve in any case, but it won't look as good as the previous few years for several years now.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Another part of my "second friend's" garden. The path which runs along the north side of the house, when she moved in, didn't make sense. It divided a narrow tapering area in half, with lots of valuable planting space being wasted. I cleaned the slabs and moved the path closer to the house, and straightened it. I then prepared and planted the area mainly with Hellebores and a few other shade tolerant species. There were already some mature Camellias and Acer palmatums, so it was just a matter of underplanting. The last photo shows how it looks today, and the others are from two years' ago. This border is my favourite bit of the garden. I think it looks better in reality than it does in the photo.

Attachments

• NSC1.JPG
    NSC1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 87
  • NSC2.JPG
    NSC2.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 88
  • NSC3.JPG
    NSC3.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 90

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another part of my "second friend's" garden. The path which runs along the north side of the house, when she moved in, didn't make sense. It divided a narrow tapering area in half, with lots of valuable planting space being wasted. I cleaned the slabs and moved the path closer to the house, and straightened it. I then prepared and planted the area mainly with Hellebores and a few other shade tolerant species. There were already some mature Camellias and Acer palmatums, so it was just a matter of underplanting. The last photo shows how it looks today, and the others are from two years' ago. This border is my favourite bit of the garden. I think it looks better in reality than it does in the photo.

Not located on the chalky soil south of the Downs? Ericaceous soil for the lovely Camellia to thrive.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Not located on the chalky soil south of the Downs? Ericaceous soil for the lovely Camellia to thrive.
Burgess Hill. The most beautiful clay soil ever, but needs compost to make it workable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This afternoon I have been mostly snoozing in le jardin et Stat Towers listening to one of my favourite podcasts.
Occasionally opening my eyes, to see my nemesis looming over me.

IMG_20210512_150518_211~4.jpg

I was next to my ceanothus, in full Tony.

IMG_20210512_161048_280~3.jpg

and further down these little b*stards are less than 2 weeks old...

IMG_20210512_154529_984~4.jpg

...which is nice.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OVERSEED THAT LAWN NOW

Someone was asking about seeding a lawn a few weeks ago ?

Just got in from mowing, raking and re-mowing the lawn. Rain and warm weather forecast for 6 of the next 8 days, so get out there and overseed that lawn this afternoon/evening

You have not been charged for this information :wink:

Anyone know where I can get some poppies ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here