Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help my son with his Latin homework

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Anyone know of Football Clubs with Latin mottos on their badges?

So far found Everton, Blackburn, Tottenham and Sunderland. Think that Man City and Gillingham have also got them but can't read them on the badges.

Ps - Please don't send me a list of all the Italian Clubs!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rangers have a moto, although i think its in english. so that was no help at all really

leeds?

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Very and very expensive which is why I don't want to spend my entire evening going through all the Clubs in England and Scotland when there are so many clever clogs on this board

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Just out of interst - what the hell use is Latin to him in his everyday life?

(what the hell use is a private education even - I went to state schools all my life)

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Rangers is in English - "Rangers Football Club". But in the images below is this one

New%20Huns%20Badge.gif

Colbourne Kid said:
Very and very expensive which is why I don't want to spend my entire evening going through all the Clubs in England and Scotland when there are so many clever clogs on this board
Damned right CK!

from the Guardian, 31 August 2004:-

Which clubs have Latin on their badges?

Lawrence Booth and Nial Briggs

"Which British football clubs currently have, or have had, Latin words or phrases on their club badges?" asks Robin Jouglah. "Can I have translations too?"

By our reckoning, Robin, there are currently four Premiership sides whose badges still dabble in the noble (but very dead) language of Latin. The Blackburn Rovers motto is "Arte et labore," which means "by skill and labour". More controversial is the inscription on Everton's badge, which reads "Nil satis nisi optimum" and roughly translates as "Nothing but the best is good enough". Rumours that the Goodison authorities are thinking of adding "unless the price is right" have so far proved unfounded.

Manchester City's motto is "Superbia in proelia," which as every Latin scholar knows means "Pride in battle," while Spurs rejoice in the SAS-like exhortation "Audere est facere," or "To dare is to do".

In the lower leagues, Sheffield Wednesday boast of "Consilio et anamis" - which means "intelligence and courage" - while Bristol City share their motto of "Vim promovet insitam" ("Promotes your inner power") with the city's university. Gillingham claim to be the "domus clamantium", or "home of the shouting men".

North of the border, Kilmarnock have the monopoly on Latin in the Premierleague with their simple but classy "Confidemus", or "We trust". Elgin City win the comedy rosette for their "Sic itur astra", meaning "Thus we reach the stars". But the prize for non-pretentiousness goes to Queens Park, who play at Hampden but are currently in the Scottish third division. They meekly suggest "Ludere causa ludendi," which means "to play for the sake of playing".

:)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
MYOB said:

As useful as algebra, and he'll be able to engage any ancient Romans that he meets at job interviews in conversation.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cheeky Monkey said:
As useful as algebra, and he'll be able to engage any ancient Romans that he meets at job interviews in conversation.

Algebra is needed for engineering, etc

Latin is needed to, um, err, teach Latin to rich kids.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Crystal Palace - Clubbas Adnauseous

Last edited:

The real question you should be asking, Colbourne Kid, is "Why am I paying so much for my son's schooling, when all the teachers do is read the Guardian and set homework that they've rifled from its pages?"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
All hail Lord Bracknell - King of all things Falmer, Latin and generally clever. I can go and watch the golf on telly now.

:kiss: well once the beard goes anyway.

MYOB you are my son's hero. He can't see any purpose in it at all except to avoid detentions which is why I'm doing the bloody homework.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
MYOB said:
Algebra is needed for engineering, etc

Latin is needed to, um, err, teach Latin to rich kids.

A decent knowledge of Latin is hugely useful for understanding any of the Romance languages without having a specific knowledge of them - so pretty handy. Not that I speak a word of it though, so I'm stuffed.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
MYOB said:

It's just interesting. It was part of the way our language and our society formed (not that much... but he'll get to Chaucer if he does English A-level)

I think it's a pity that so few people these days seem to value just studying stuff because it's interesting.

MYOB said:
(what the hell use is a private education even - I went to state schools all my life)

Bugger all. So did I.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stop slagging of Latin - I got my highest O'level grade in this subject.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Repugnant Toad said:
A decent knowledge of Latin is hugely useful for understanding any of the Romance languages without having a specific knowledge of them - so pretty handy. Not that I speak a word of it though, so I'm stuffed.

I'm dyspraxic, I don't "do" languages. Hence it'd be sod all use to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here