Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let off some steam with your 'favourite' words that people get wrong.....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My blood is literally made to boil by students who are unable to use correctly the words "affect" and "effect".

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Using 'alternate' instead of 'alternative'. As in a road sign I saw that indicated road works ahead and told drivers to 'use alternate routes'. :rant:

Think you might have to live with that one. It is in the Oxford English dictionary as "another term for alternative" (although granted it says "chiefly North American")

DanielT

withheld so he doesn't take it personally said:
Not so much a word, but as far as pronounciation is concerned, ....

The painful irony that one of the most mispronounced words is pronunciation

It's not even spelled right by many: 'pronounciation' is wrong. It's pronunciation. pro-nun-ciation not pronounce-iation

GETS ON MY FLIPPING NERVES!!!!

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I tend not to get too bothered about these things anymore as language changes especially English, and that is one of its strengths. Also I suspect there are many words that i get wrong.
One I do notice a lot is people writing loose instead of lose. The other one that grates a bit is the use of the word journey on reality tv shows, but i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The random use of "industry" (I saw "the wedding industry" the other day)

"Meet with" rather than just "meet"

"Transportation" rather than transport

The confusion between "of" and "'ve" which sees "would of" used when "would have" or "would've" is meant.

The American pronunciation of "schedule"

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The painful irony that one of the most mispronounced words is pronunciation

its not even spelled right by many: 'pronounciation' is wrong. Its pronunciation. pro-nun-ciation not pronounce-iation

GETS ON MY FLIPPING NERVES!!!!

I don't like to bleat, but another thing that gets on my flipping nerves is when people miss out the apostrophe in "its" (checks carefully for any typing errors before pressing Post Quick Reply).

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Fran Sandanza
Glen Murray
Chris Woods
Elliot Bennet

And I'm not sure if it's Tano or Tanno, so whichever one of them is wrong annoys me.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think people are getting, is complicated wrong as well. I don't think it has a d on the end or a p, as in ees comlicate. :facepalm:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was so secluded I decided to do a bit of NOOD Sunbathing.

"Did you buy a second hand car?"

"No, I bought a NOO one!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here