Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sounds like you’re fearful Timothy.

The Troll is back.

How was school? Happy to finished for the summer holidays?

Where are mummy and daddy taking you this year? Same as last year, nowhere? Staying to enjoy the summer in Costa Del Croydon.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Troll is back.

How was school? Happy to finished for the summer holidays?

Where are mummy and daddy taking you this year? Same as last year, nowhere? Staying to enjoy the summer in Costa Del Croydon.

Mummy & Daddy ringfenced the holiday money, but alas spent it on fags and the holiday is no more but they're blaming Sainsbury's for selling fags!

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
its still true though isn't it? Despite your clubs attempts to rewrite history and claim to be the oldest club in the world. Laughable really,

To be fair, we as supporters fought tooth and nail to save the club in 2010. The 4 new owners only agreed to go ahead when they were able to purchase the ground as well. I have no view either way about the 1861 claims, but do believe that the club I started supporting in 1976 is the same club today, playing in the same stadium (OK maybe ground would be a better description), despite two administrations, which the supporters rallied around to make sure that charities and local businesses were paid as much as possible each time.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
2 things,

A large amount of that 300 million went on infrastructure, very little of your spend has, and, my point is you’ve never finished higher than 10th for all the money you’ve squandered, we have.

Not sure we have squandered anything like the £300 million and counting. One season in the top 10 from £300 million spent, hmmm.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Not sure we have squandered anything like the £300 million and counting. One season in the top 10 from £300 million spent, hmmm.

i dont think by any stretch of the imagination can building a internationally renowned stadium, and one of the best training and performance centers in europe, could be called squandering money, and if as seems likely Cucurella goes a net spend in transfers over the past 4 years of over MINUS £150 000 000 compares in anyway shape or form to however much it is Palace have spunked on infrastructure and players over the same time frame

And whilst our best players may have been sold, but on each occasion the money has been spent on the club- £50 000 000 for white bought Cucurella and Caceiado and a few others, and we are arguably in a much better position than before, whereas the only transfer of note from Palace has been £50 000 000 approx on wan bisaka and that money seems to have vanished in club debt, your other world class players were loans,

I dont think anyone at Palace can seriously think we have squandered our good fortune from Tony Bloom, whereas i see nothing comparable even being thought of at Palace- in fact you seem to have gone backwards in that the only meaningfull investment on a new stand has now lost plannuing permission

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
i dont think by any stretch of the imagination can building a internationally renowned stadium, and one of the best training and performance centers in europe, could be called squandering money, and if as seems likely Cucurella goes a net spend in transfers over the past 4 years of over MINUS £150 000 000 compares in anyway shape or form to however much it is Palace have spunked on infrastructure and players over the same time frame

And whilst our best players may have been sold, but on each occasion the money has been spent on the club- £50 000 000 for white bought Cucurella and Caceiado and a few others, and we are arguably in a much better position than before, whereas the only transfer of note from Palace has been £50 000 000 approx on wan bisaka and that money seems to have vanished in club debt, your other world class players were loans,

I dont think anyone at Palace can seriously think we have squandered our good fortune from Tony Bloom, whereas i see nothing comparable even being thought of at Palace- in fact you seem to have gone backwards in that the only meaningfull investment on a new stand has now lost plannuing permission
You just wait until Tony wants his money back. We are right in the Sh1t then. [emoji12]

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Hmmm someone appears not to understand the meaning of squandered.
We have not wasted £300M as it was invested in:
1. New stadium with subsequent upgrades
2. New training facility for first team, womens and academy players
3. Investing heavily in 1st team, womens and academy teams

On the point of the training facility. I suggest you compare the Google images of your training ground and against ours … it’s is rather telling …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Well we've spent a hell of a lot more than that.

You have had 4 more years in the Prem than us, so that income dwarfs the money Tony has put in.
What have you spent it on?

We're on the brink of bringing in £150m from transfer fees over the past 2 seasons and reinvesting that into the squad.

You've had over £1bn in Income from the EPL - sold out to multiple Yanks and you're still going cap in hand to your owners to fund the squad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well we've spent a hell of a lot more than that.

You have had 4 more years in the Prem than us, so that income dwarfs the money Tony has put in.
What have you spent it on?

We're on the brink of bringing in £150m from transfer fees over the past 2 seasons and reinvesting that into the squad.

You've had over £1bn in Income from the EPL - sold out to multiple Yanks and you're still going cap in hand to your owners to fund the squad.

Cladding.You’re forgetting the cladding.

That must have cost a pretty penny.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

No, you’re right, you’ve squandered nothing like £300 million, it’s more like 1.3 billion.

And what do you, honestly have to show for it?
A fair few players over the years on hundred grand plus a week contracts, a chairman who is paid a very attractive salary per annum, a fairly nice training centre, not as nice as ours, I’ll grant you, but not too shabby. At least you’ve solved your vermin problem. A team of overpaid 2nd class players who can’t quite manage to get above 10th place and 50 points.
And a ground that a League One club would be embarrassed to own,with nothing on the horizon to improve it in any discernible way.

Still, I expect you’re happy, and that’s what counts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Is that what they call squander in Croydon? Spending on a stadium and infrastructure. That must explain why your stadium plans are as meaningful and as likely to happen as Bellotti, Stanley and Archers stadium plans were.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Aahh the old compare Palace to Brighton binfest has started up again.

Apart from the number of years spent in the top flight I think the Albion win on every other count.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No, you’re right, you’ve squandered nothing like £300 million, it’s more like 1.3 billion.

And what do you, honestly have to show for it?
A fair few players over the years on hundred grand plus a week contracts, a chairman who is paid a very attractive salary per annum, a fairly nice training centre, not as nice as ours, I’ll grant you, but not too shabby. At least you’ve solved your vermin problem. A team of overpaid 2nd class players who can’t quite manage to get above 10th place and 50 points.
And a ground that a League One club would be embarrassed to own,with nothing on the horizon to improve it in any discernible way.

Still, I expect you’re happy, and that’s what counts.

It’s ok they are trying desperately to recoup some of that money with innovative ideas like charging their womens and girls teams to play while the male teams don’t have to.

https://inews.co.uk/news/girls-must...ile-boys-train-for-free-parents-claim-1765282

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To be fair to Palace their academy training centre is really nice now but just a couple of seasons ago their youngsters were training on a school playing field and the local Goals five a side pitches. Took them quite a while to catch up with us.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It would be interesting to learn the reason for the junior girls teams to have been locked out of palace's training ground.

"The Palace junior girls’ team has played other Premier League clubs including West Ham, Spurs and Leicester. But they have not yet been allowed to use the club’s state of the art £20m facilities opened by England manager Gareth Southgate last year."

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Let's break that down for you (these are my estimates):

£180m Stadium
£60m Academy
£60m Player Acquisition (Note taking into Account Ben White +£50m, Bissouma +£30m, Burn +£14m & Possibly Cucurella +£50m

Squandered my arse!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You just wait until Tony wants his money back. We are right in the Sh1t then. [emoji12]

Check the constitution pal, we do things right at Brighton, this Chairman isn't for skimming the fans.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Let's break that down for you (these are my estimates):

£180m Stadium
£60m Academy
£60m Player Acquisition (Note taking into Account Ben White +£50m, Bissouma +£30m, Burn +£14m & Possibly Cucurella +£50m

Squandered my arse!

Bloom, as of the last accounts, has invested £427m into the Albion (via interest free loans, shareholdings). Albion have a smaller amount of bank borrowing as well.
Estimates of the cost of the Amex are in the 90-100m range.
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1508483608717234178

Palace owners have put in £58m - most of which is interest free but not all of it. But of course they've benefitted from a longer period in the PL and hence occasional seasons where they've banked profits. That said Palace wage bill is a lot higher than Albions.
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1536229378258092034

Both sets of owners are definitely spending a lot of money. Perhaps a bit harsh to say either of them have "squandered it" ha ha.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here