Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Not getting too much into Willy waving but your point

* Players ability, squad age and pipeline. Ability maybe ? Squad age, both 26.8 according to a site I looked at. Pipeline, I don’t know Brightons to be fair but all palace youth teams are doing very well and I think the pipeline looks very exciting for Palace in the future.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

* Players ability, squad age and pipeline. Ability maybe ? Squad age, both 26.8 according to a site I looked at. Pipeline, I don’t know Brightons to be fair but all palace youth teams are doing very well and I think the pipeline looks very exciting for Palace in the future.
It's true that Palace's U21s are doing very well in the league, better than our own, but is that because so many of our best young players have already made that leap out into loans at Big Boy football teams? How many young prospects do Palace have it on loan gaining real experience?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Ok, but apart form that point, would you agree on the rest?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Ok, but apart form that point, would you agree on the rest?
Undoubtedly this season you are by far the better team, but as you see with West Ham that can be lost quickly.

Your owner I would say is richer but both owners are fans.

I suppose your stadium is newer, but I like where I sit at Selhurst it’s more or less where I stood as a 9 year old kid. It’s part of my love for my team ( I do find a lot of new grounds a bit meh if I am honest) but I know Brighton fans had no choice and are rightly proud of what they have.

Fan base I would say these days is about the same, although you would not say that 10/15 years ago, as Brighton often got sub 6000 crowds.

But that’s why I don’t get involved in this type of discussion…it was 12 years ago I think Scunthorpe beat Palace 4.0 at Selhurst and look what happened to them at the weekend.

Just enjoy the high’s because the lows just might happen.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's true that Palace's U21s are doing very well in the league, better than our own, but is that because so many of our best young players have already made that leap out into loans at Big Boy football teams? How many young prospects do Palace have it on loan gaining real experience?
Yes we have 5 or 6 playing in the big boys league most notably Rak- Sakyi playing for Charlton and Banks playing for Bradford, both who scored yesterday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fan base I would say these days is about the same, although you would not say that 10/15 years ago, as Brighton often got sub 6000 crowds.
I'm not suggesting that fan base is much different or that it matters if it is, but you're a good poster who knows better than to post nonsense about 6k crowds - the capacity for home fans was tiny (it increased by the end), you couldn't buy a ticket on the day if you suddenly fancied going, the attendances reported were those who went rather than those who had tickets. We were generally filling the stadium which we continued to do as soon as we moved to our own, and despite Palace fans coming on here telling us that all clubs that got big crowds with their new stadium found that the fans went after a year or two, citing the likes of Reading and Middlesbrough, we continued to fill it ever since.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Fans - We fought hard to save our club and ground, you relied on TB splashing a load of cash after failing to keep the Goldstone
Love it when Palace fans come out with this.
Point us to one example of when you lot 'fought hard' to save your club?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm not suggesting that fan base is much different or that it matters if it is, but you're a good poster who knows better than to post nonsense about 6k crowds - the capacity for home fans was tiny (it increased by the end), you couldn't buy a ticket on the day if you suddenly fancied going, the attendances reported were those who went rather than those who had tickets. We were generally filling the stadium which we continued to do as soon as we moved to our own, and despite Palace fans coming on here telling us that all clubs that got big crowds with their new stadium found that the fans went after a year or two, citing the likes of Reading and Middlesbrough, we continued to fill it ever since.
I am the sort of nerd that looks at attendances of all games played ( heaven knows why) so I would see the crowd at Brighton home games while eating my toast on a Sunday morning, I am sure there were quite a few sub 6K crowds, but as you say that was limited by the ground size….the same way Selhurst restricts crowds to 25K now.

If I am wrong about 6K crowds, I apologise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am the sort of nerd that looks at attendances of all games played ( heaven knows why) so I would see the crowd at Brighton home games while eating my toast on a Sunday morning, I am sure there were quite a few sub 6K crowds, but as you say that was limited by the ground size….the same way Selhurst restricts crowds to 25K now.

If the crowds were below 6k that probably had something to do with away fans not filling their allocation. Understandable really as I gather binoculars were essential :wink:

Club handing out free ponchos to protect us from the elements too, how things have changed :lolol:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
A couple of U21s playing on loan in the 3rd and 4th division isn’t that notable.
If you say so, having an 18 year old goal keeper playing in the premier league with the first team is quite notable with another 18 year old as his back up, both notable.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If you say so, having an 18 year old goal keeper playing in the premier league with the first team is quite notable with another 18 year old as his back up, both notable.
The only reason he started was because you didn’t have anyone else, not because of some clever plan. Saying that all the power to him.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Permanently in the first 11 or a desperate one off due to absent players?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You're not wrong about 6k crowds, I'm just explaining why, and it wasn't because the number of fans who wanted to go, as evidenced by our attendances ever since we moved. The capacity ended up something like 8k, but it didn't start there, and that included away fans. Plus, like I say, while you were announcing tickets sold (which is what we do now), we were announcing people who went, so STHs who were away etc counted as 0 as there tickets weren't available for resale.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You were desperate. He’d have been nowhere near the starting 11 otherwise.

Brighton have teenagers and players that would be eligible for the U21s making regular PL appearances and scoring important goals. It’s not even comparable.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I do think some credit should be given to Brighton and the way when they've sold any player and equal or better player seems to emerge. It's OK, and a good sign, that Youth teams are doing well but it's much better to identify individuals that have come through and not just succeeded but become targets for Top 6 clubs.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I do think some credit should be given to Brighton and the way when they've sold any player and equal or better player seems to emerge. It's OK, and a good sign, that Youth teams are doing well but it's much better to identify individuals that have come through and not just succeeded but become targets for Top 6 clubs.

Oh yes I agree, it’s impressive that Brighton pluck someone from the Peruvian second division no one has heard of and that player turns out to be a world better, they have a bloody good scouting team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here