Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
As Andy Naylor says in the Athletic article, there was a fundamental clash of ideas between TB and RDZ regarding the transfer market, one wants to carry on as usual, the other wants to break the business model, essentially RDZ wants the team to be the best, TB wants the Club to be financially secure and the team as good as they can get it. Think back to the last night at the Amex the previous season RDZ was already making pointed remarks to TB about the squad. Neither would budge and a break is therefore in the best interests of all parties. Considering what Tony Bloom has done for this club I am fully supportive of this outcome.
I disagree. Tony Bloom wants the team to be the best and his way will get it there. De Zerbi's strategy is not going to make the team the best, maybe for a season or two, but then we will crash an burn. But that's ok as he will have left.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Anyone we get in as a replacement won't be as good as RDZ. That was my initial reaction yesterday and that's my considered opinion today.

Seemingly the worry for the last 6 months has been that we'd lose him to another club, through a decision that was out of our control, by another club paying his release clause.

For us to essentially take the decision ourselves seems pretty foolish to me.

I'm slightly bewildered by it all and not especially looking forward to what comes next.

What was the alternative? Force a manager to stay who didn't want to be here anymore?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I disagree. Tony Bloom wants the team to be the best and his way will get it there. De Zerbi's strategy is not going to make the team the best, maybe for a season or two, but then we will crash an burn. But that's ok as he will have left.
The team cannot be the best without the financial clout, but it can be bloody good, bloody good for me and TB is on record as saying this is a consistent top ten.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The team cannot be the best without the financial clout, but it can be bloody good, bloody good for me and TB is on record as saying this is a consistent top ten.
The best means long term. De Zerbi's idea of the best was very short sighted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RDZ will go down as the best manager we've ever had. The 22/23 season is the best season we've ever seen, finishing 6th and playing some incredible football. I genuinely think we were better than that actually and could have finished 4th with a fair wind. Potter laid the foundations but to come in and so quickly stamp your mark on a team and end up 6th in the modern day EPL was amazing. Oh and don't forget another FAC semi appearance. He's basically set the benchmark all future quality Albion sides will be compared to

But for all that, I feel let down massively by him. The whole season has been marred by his whining to the press and it culminated in a week in March where our season came to a shuddering halt. There wasn't much to enjoy after the Marseille home game, and that was so so long ago.

So farewell RDZ, you were brilliant for most of your time here, but with a heavy heart I say I'm glad you're leaving.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Our centre midfield is shit, whoever the manager is. A collection of incredibly slow players, with one promising work in progress. Up against 2 or 3 powerhouses every week. At RB, there is no decent cover for Velts.
We brought it Dahoud and Fati to fix the midfield issue, both De Zerbi choices, they flopped hard. We had Lamptey but it's taken a while for everyone to realise he's shit, nobody had an issue with him at the beginning of the season. A lot of our injuries came from training. I think he's another Bielsa who pushes his players too hard in training which causes too many injuries.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
I disagree. Tony Bloom wants the team to be the best and his way will get it there. De Zerbi's strategy is not going to make the team the best, maybe for a season or two, but then we will crash a burn. But that's ok as he will have left.
For me that sums it up. TB wants a stable, sustainable and essentially self funding team that can be the best his ‘model’ allows. Theoretically this should mean it can survive managerial changes without too much strife. We all seen the comedy approach of teams like Chelsea that lurch from one managerial style to another and all the ££ that gets wasted trying to appease the latest manager. Or teams that appoint the merry go round/previous managers thing, seemingly with no plan other than the immediate short term. Like everyone, I wanted RDZ to stay for years and oversee a fantastic period of glorious success. But even relatively early into his tenure he was making noises that he’d had issues with the way player recruitment was done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We brought it Dahoud and Fati to fix the midfield issue, both De Zerbi choices, they flopped hard. We had Lamptey but it's taken a while for everyone to realise he's shit, nobody had an issue with him at the beginning of the season. A lot of our injuries came from training. I think he's another Bielsa who pushes his players too hard in training which causes too many injuries.

Lamptey … I did. A full back who’s a poor PL defender.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
He didn't have the air of someone who wanted to leave yesterday.
I don't think he wanted to leave.... I have a feeling there was a lot of effort on both parts to come to agreement but in the end De Zerbi couldn't see how his reputation would develop under the Brighton model. He has to think for himself and the club has to the think for themselves. It is what is it so they all separate amicably and we move forward.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Fair play to the players for the tribute to RDZ for the last match which summed up much of this season.

1. Dominate the oppo
2. Fail to score from numerous big chances
3. Concede to a ball over the top which a centre back should deal with
4. Concede again backing off until the striker realised he was close to goal and scored.

Nice touch.

Igor massively at fault for both goals and wasn’t he an RDZ choice?

Quite amusing it all came together.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair play to the players for the tribute to RDZ for the last match which summed up much of this season.

1. Dominate the oppo
2. Fail to score from numerous big chances
3. Concede to about over the top which a centre back should deal with
4. Concede again backing off until the striker realised he was close to goal and scored.

Nice touch.

Igor massively at fault for both goals and wasn’t he an RDZ choice?

Quite amusing it all came together.

AKA Potterball.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Lamptey … I did. A full back who’s a poor PL defender.
I did! I even started a thread with RIGHT BACK in capitals! 😂 As I knew Lamptey wouldn’t be fit or good enough and Veltman wouldn’t be fit enough. I think we even had a debate about this at the time WS.

That was the only issue I’ve got with our recruitment last summer. And even then, Hinsh made that a bit better.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did! I even started a thread with RIGHT BACK in capitals! 😂 As I knew Lamptey wouldn’t be fit or good enough and Veltman wouldn’t be fit enough. I think we even had a debate about this at the time WS.

That was the only issue I’ve got with our recruitment last summer. And even then, Hinsh made that a bit better.

RB & LB … quality cover for Velts and Estupinan was very prominent in transfer window threads last summer. So many recognised there was none.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here