Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rounder Records is Closing Down [merged]

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I took a look at their "Picks of 2012 so far" pages and no sign of Sebastian Tellier, the excellent Guy Gerber Fabric mix or the new Hot Chip long player.

I'm sure the have these, it's just that Rounder pushed this sort of stuff a lot more. I guess I just need to go down and talk to the right person. I'm also sure if I tell 'em what I like they'll find me some good new music.

Just to add, I get a lot of info from Bleep.com (then buy instore)
Here's the podcast podcast - Bleep.com - High Quality Music And Media - Buy MP3, WAV, FLAC, Vinyl, CDs
And their social media posts are pretty good too (facebook/twitter).

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I expect Rounder premises will become yet another coffee shop. Such a shame.

That's true. Another blooming Starbucks or the like, in a great location.

BBCSouthEast 6.30 yesterday had a nice article, saying this was a further sign of Brighton's uniquley eclectic mix of one-off shops disappearing.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
That's true. Another blooming Starbucks or the like, in a great location.

BBCSouthEast 6.30 yesterday had a nice article, saying this was a further sign of Brighton's uniquley eclectic mix of one-off shops disappearing.

Shows what they know, one of the best & unique 2nd hand watch shops in the World has OPENED opposite Rounder within the past 6 months.
Shame about Rounder only bought a few records from there but maybe 100 gig tickets which they always strived to obtain & promote, got 0001 a few times...thinking about it maybe 1/4 of those were for The Suite/Event & losing that 2,000 venue & East Wing 800 with weekly gigs can't have helped their income
Sounds like it's not deffo, they are open for offers of help so a very good month may help extend it?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A sad day indeed. I have spent a fair few quid at Rounder, and I don't feel inferior as I do in Resident.

Only the other day I asked what is the new Saint Etienne CD like, and got the reply. "Cracking cover, poor album. Not for you old fruit."

"So I'm best off with the Greatest Hits collection."

"Definitely."

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Here's the podcast podcast - Bleep.com - High Quality Music And Media - Buy MP3, WAV, FLAC, Vinyl, CDs

Been enjoying dipping into these, found it easier to just select the track listings and listen to the tracks. Stuff I have never heard off, sort of things that my mate often reviews on his website

Tarumatu - Independent films, music, reviews, dvds, cd

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
THe Argus alluded that if Rounder finding an investor they might be able to continue. Fingers crossed.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
THe Argus alluded that if Rounder finding an investor they might be able to continue. Fingers crossed.

I'd love it if the council listed the place and funded it. It's got to be worth it for the fine cause of keeping the album artwork commissions on the outer wall, or at the very least protecting us from another shop selling cupcakes and cutesy homeware.

Also, those of us who've been guilty of popping in less frequently during the past few years could sign something agreeing to buy a specified amount of vinyl there every month in order to keep it open. Guilt renunciation.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007

Bleep is excellent!

And there in lies the problem. When I worked in Brighton I used to go to Rounders and other independent music stores regularly. Now I don't work there and don't live close enough to make regular visits possible. I get most of my music now through online services and, even though I bitterly lament the closure of Rounders, my behaviour is just a small nail in the coffin of every independent record store. I, along with pretty much most of the posters on this thread, are getting no more than we deserve as our music buying habits have changed to suit the online provider. This is regardless of the fact that I still prefer to rip from hard media than download a lossless album. In the constant circus show of trying to juggle all aspects of my modern life, taking the time to make regular trips to Brighton to support the local independent music retailer simply has not been a ball I can keep in the air. I am clearly not the only one.

I am really sorry Rounders is having to close down but where was I and where were most of us when we were really needed and could have made a difference? Frankly - putting our collective heads in the sands and kidding ourselves that we can gorge ourselves on the online banquet whilst the businesses that we supposedly love are barely sated by scraps.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Regarding the remaining record shops in Brighton/Hove, I noticed one I hadn't seen before, on a corner up Sackville Road between the railway bridge and the OSR lights. Looks a rummage type second-hand place ??? Also, there is a second-hand rummage type place down Baker Street in Brighton. Unable to re-call either of their names, but who knows what gems they hold :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, that was that. I made my final purchases today, wished them well and left for the final time. Well, I have actually done this twice before but today really is the last time for me. It was a minor comment but Joel (I think his name is Joel, skinny white full-time staffer) thanked me especially for all the gig tickets I have bought from them. A nice touch and affirmation we're not just random faces buying stuff.

God bless Rounder.

Gutted, met one of my best mates in there. Smudge!!! He took shit loads of me hard earned dollar. But what top times. I remember meeting wildchild in there who was playing renegade master after just getting it pressed. Tbh, i remember telling him that i weren't that impressed!! Probs y im not a top dj now!!!

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I bought a few top singles from Rounder- Wire - 'A Question of Degree', Magazine - Rhythm of Cruelty.... to name a couple.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well, that was that. I made my final purchases today, wished them well and left for the final time. Well, I have actually done this twice before but today really is the last time for me. It was a minor comment but Joel (I think his name is Joel, skinny white full-time staffer) thanked me especially for all the gig tickets I have bought from them. A nice touch and affirmation we're not just random faces buying stuff.

God bless Rounder.

You might like this.
The Quietus | Features | Hyperspecific | Hyperspecific Midterm Mix: Dance 12"s Of The Year So Far

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Just as an update starting in January every Saturday at The westhill from 10 -3am there will be a night called the rounder Saturday social, where Steve and jonny will be playing their favourite tunes and keeping the flame burning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just as an update starting in January every Saturday at The westhill from 10 -3am there will be a night called the rounder Saturday social, where Steve and jonny will be playing their favourite tunes and keeping the flame burning.

Think I just found the venue for my leaving party :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here