Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not exactly equal, no, but have you seen Fox News, GB News, Daily Mail? Some sections of the media we consume in the West is almost as bad.
They are, but we do at least have media plurality (at least in some form) and people have unfettered access to resources online, neither of which can be said of Russia.

If everyone in America was forced to consume their news purely through Fox, or the UK only through the Daily Mail, then things would be a lot different round here.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They are, but we do at least have media plurality (at least in some form) and people have unfettered access to resources online, neither of which can be said of Russia.

If everyone in America was forced to consume their news purely through Fox, or the UK only through the Daily Mail, then things would be a lot different round here.
Yes. We'd be just like Russia.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I have gone sideways a bit on this because of Triggars challenge, but my point was more that those in Russia that are aware that their Government is willing to say whatever it needs to say, are aware that other States do this also, whichever media channel is reporting what the Government has said. I concede that more media in the UK and US will challenge those statements, but the message is out there still.
No doubt, in a game of Top Trumps bullshit media, Russia 24 probably wins most hands.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If it’s defeated, Russia should be dissolved and shared out among its neighbouring territories. It must no longer exist as a sovereign nation called Russia .

Russia should no longer exist.
I don’t think it needs to be shared out to the neighbours, just lots of sovereign states within:
IMG_2692.png

However, the rest of the world would need to ‘buy’ their Nukes off them. Too dangerous to have this little kingdoms with their fingers on the button.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t think it needs to be shared out to the neighbours, just lots of sovereign states within:
View attachment 161929

However, the rest of the world would need to ‘buy’ their Nukes off them. Too dangerous to have this little kingdoms with their fingers on the button.
Hmm. Only one country has ever voluntarily given up nukes snd given the last couple of years, nobody else is likely to follow

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The following came as news to me, so I'm guessing that it will be news to some others on here.

Putin once wanted to join Nato. But he didn't want to go through the usual application process and stand in line “with a lot of countries that don’t matter”.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The following came as news to me, so I'm guessing that it will be news to some others on here.

Putin once wanted to join Nato. But he didn't want to go through the usual application process and stand in line “with a lot of countries that don’t matter”.

Interesting, the Soviets were keen on joining when it was initially established but I hadn’t realised they’d come back.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lots of twitter reports of the counter offensive today.

Everything i'm reading is very positive, but the fog of war is very strong with this war, so it's very hard to know what to believe

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shiogu now reportedly looking to have Prigozhin and a number of other senior Wagner members arrested.

Civil War - Loading …21/100%

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Murmurs of some nations thinking not enough help is being given to Ukraine, or not enough of the right type of help.
Poland in particular. Whispers of possibly putting troops into Ukraine.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Murmurs of some nations thinking not enough help is being given to Ukraine, or not enough of the right type of help.
Poland in particular. Whispers of possibly putting troops into Ukraine.

Would be very brave for any country to send in troops to fight with Ukraine.
I would imagine Putin will take it as an escalation and retaliate. But at the same time, would Putin really want to escalate by attacking a NATO country?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here