[Albion] Sarmiento

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In that case, let’s cash in.
If he stays with Ipswich, let's wait and see if he's the next Davis Fairclough - or even Oli Gunnar Solskjar (sp!!!)
Although the stats don’t suggest he’s set the world alight! But good luck to the lad.

Funny how the Ipswich fans think he's been great for them as someone to shake up the game after 70 minutes or so. Stats eh? Ah well, perhaps they know more about tractors than football.
Ignore the room - stick with the stats then.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Funny how the Ipswich fans think he's been great for them as someone to shake up the game after 70 minutes or so. Stats eh? Ah well, perhaps they know more about tractors than football.
Would Ipswich really be willing to pay Sarmiento’s perceived value if he is just someone who comes on after 70 mins to shake up the game?

Perhaps if we’re willing to let him go on the cheap, but he is a player who just 18 months ago was playing at a World Cup and in the PL. Is it good business spending £15m odd on a super sub?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I always find the super sub tag a bit funny, surely no player likes that. Can you imagine if we got promoted we never started Knockaert, only used him as a ‘super sub’ ? It basically means the player doesn’t really trust him enough to start a game , but maybe come on when tactically you’re a bit more open to try and get something from a game

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I know what you are saying but the alternative view is that others need to shoot more as the tippy tappy around the box trying to walk it in is not working
Enciso enlivened, Pedro and Adingra when he came on.
The passing and interplay was quicker and sharper.

He single-handedly turned the potterball, we have become reacquainted with, back into DeZerbi-ball.
Agree that mixing it up with the occasional pot-shot also keeps the opponent guessing.

Can't wait to see him back in the starting line up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If he stays with Ipswich, let's wait and see if he's the next Davis Fairclough - or even Oli Gunnar Solskjar (sp!!!)

He would be the first Davis Fairclough :ROFLMAO:

Jimmy Grimble

Wasn’t part the reason for his loan so he could go and play 90 minutes of football regularly?

I’m sure it was the case that the club wanted to see how he coped physically with playing a lot of minutes, more than whether he had the technical ability to succeed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A friend of mine asked me on Sunday if they could keep him, and also informed me, her daughter thinks Jeremy is fit.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

To be fair, stats have been pretty much fundamental to our very successful recruitment strategy over the past few years. I'd probably trust them more than than a bunch of Ipswich fans and their non-sensical banners.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

The Ipswich fans I know, close friend and his family, who go every week don’t think he’s great at all. They think he’s alright but are not bothered about re-signing him and that that’s the opinion of their fans generally. They all just want Hutchinson back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would Ipswich really be willing to pay Sarmiento’s perceived value if he is just someone who comes on after 70 mins to shake up the game?

Perhaps if we’re willing to let him go on the cheap, but he is a player who just 18 months ago was playing at a World Cup and in the PL. Is it good business spending £15m odd on a super sub?
Who said anything about buying him? Not me, not the Ipswich fans. The rumour is that the original loan agreement included a second year on loan if they got promoted. That would make sense - a loan to the PL would be excellent development, and if we do come to sell, a PL impact sub is worth a lot more than a Championship impact sub.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Who said anything about buying him? Not me, not the Ipswich fans. The rumour is that the original loan agreement included a second year on loan if they got promoted. That would make sense - a loan to the PL would be excellent development, and if we do come to sell, a PL impact sub is worth a lot more than a Championship impact sub.
Fair enough! That's the first I've heard about a second year being included.

I'd be a little surprised if we were to loan him out to a fellow PL club tbh - we've only done this once, Mat Ryan to Arsenal, and that was for entirely different circumstances. A sale, rather than a loan, to Ipswich is the logical conclusion in that case I reckon, and that makes his value a potential stumbling block. I think more likely, is that he goes abroad for a loan if he's going to go back on loan anywhere. Also, there's always the chance that Jeremy now has moved past his injury troubles and can play a part for us.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

He single-handedly turned the potterball, we have become reacquainted with, back into DeZerbi-ball.
Agree that mixing it up with the occasional pot-shot also keeps the opponent guessing.

Absolutely, Enciso is invaluable to us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair enough! That's the first I've heard about a second year being included.

I'd be a little surprised if we were to loan him out to a fellow PL club tbh - we've only done this once, Mat Ryan to Arsenal, and that was for entirely different circumstances. A sale, rather than a loan, to Ipswich is the logical conclusion in that case I reckon, and that makes his value a potential stumbling block. I think more likely, is that he goes abroad for a loan if he's going to go back on loan anywhere. Also, there's always the chance that Jeremy now has moved past his injury troubles and can play a part for us.
It's only a rumour, of course - I think I've seen it on here, so not infallible! I don't see anything odd about loaning to a (lower) PL club though. A few years ago our loanees went to the Conference, but now they're regularly being loaned out to the Championship; just progression, as loaning out to the PL would be further progression.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's only a rumour, of course - I think I've seen it on here, so not infallible! I don't see anything odd about loaning to a (lower) PL club though. A few years ago our loanees went to the Conference, but now they're regularly being loaned out to the Championship; just progression, as loaning out to the PL would be further progression.
Yes the rumour has appeared on different social media outlets. No idea if it's bull though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To me, the fact that we sanctioned the possibility of a loan for next season as well makes me strongly suspect that the decision is already taken and RDZ / the club are happy to see Jeremy leave to progress his career elsewhere.

One of those that seems an odd one, as he looked terrific for us at the tail end of last season

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Wasn’t part the reason for his loan so he could go and play 90 minutes of football regularly?

I’m sure it was the case that the club wanted to see how he coped physically with playing a lot of minutes, more than whether he had the technical ability to succeed.

Pretty sure he'd have got similar minutes if he'd stayed with us this season. As you say the point of the loan was that we wanted to see him playing full matches.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I completely agree. It's all about creating space for others isn't it?

It's where we've absolutely missed having two wingers the opposition need to double up on marking for me. Enciso showed what happens when defenders start to get overloaded by responsibility - opening up gaps for Pedro and Adingra to cause trouble. A front 4 of Pedro, Mitoma/Adingra, Enciso, March/Osman will be fabulous fun next season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
To me, the fact that we sanctioned the possibility of a loan for next season as well makes me strongly suspect that the decision is already taken and RDZ / the club are happy to see Jeremy leave to progress his career elsewhere.

One of those that seems an odd one, as he looked terrific for us at the tail end of last season
This.

The problem with Sarmiento is we have other with the same profile. If we was left footed, an orthodox winger, had extreme pace or a brilliant goal scoring record, I think he’d get the nod.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports