Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer clear out

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Gilmour has been our best centre mid this season. Yes we should be investing some quality in that position, but Gilmour will definitely be here next season at least as first back up to whoever we bring in. Bart is young, room for improvement, but is getting better game by game. We might bring in an experienced keeper, but Bart is the long term future.
Gilmour as back up doesn’t work for me, rather we had better first choices though take your point. Trouble with potential in goal is it’s a very risky position, hence why I’d prefer 1 established quality keeper who goes straight in and plays all season. I don’t want to wait for Bart to blossom therefore, he can go do that elsewhere and maybe come back in 3-4 years if (IF!) he becomes PL standard. I think this season has exposed our overly yooful approach. We need hard grizzled veterans. Like Doug Rougvie. And Big Joe Corrigan. Or Sherman. Yes, a tank in goal. That would keep things in order.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Baleba cost £23.2m, more than half as much again as Bissouma to become Brighton's second most expensive player ever. Contextually, that's why expectations are rather higher than they were for Bissouma.
6 years difference though. Inflation. £15m 6 years ago is a similar investment to £23m now for us. I would say expectation on the two is pretty identical.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Gilmour as back up doesn’t work for me, rather we had better first choices though take your point. Trouble with potential in goal is it’s a very risky position, hence why I’d prefer 1 established quality keeper who goes straight in and plays all season. I don’t want to wait for Bart to blossom therefore, he can go do that elsewhere and maybe come back in 3-4 years if (IF!) he becomes PL standard. I think this season has exposed our overly yooful approach. We need hard grizzled veterans. Like Doug Rougvie. And Big Joe Corrigan. Or Sherman. Yes, a tank in goal. That would keep things in order.
Personally I think Bart is closer than you give him credit for. He's been getting better every game, and put in some really solid performances recently. I would agree to getting an experienced keeper in to help him, but let Bart play every remaining game, give him another pre-season, and he'll rapidly get there. I feel he has a high ceiling in terms of quality, so we'd be silly to get rid.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The midfield has to be the prority but Pedro is not an out and out number 9. Welbeck, unfortunately, is injured a lot. Regardless of whether or not Ferguson comes good again next season, we all hope that happens of course, all three of them have had long periods this season when they've been injured, and we've seen what's happened, the goals dried up. So think we do need another option. Suspect the difficulty will be persuading that person to come and probably start on the bench, which is of course why Undav went as he didn't want to do that.
Massive summer ahead, let's see what happens.
Welbeck is not injured a lot , he just not up to playing 2 games a week or completing a full 90 mins

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Personally I think Bart is closer than you give him credit for. He's been getting better every game, and put in some really solid performances recently. I would agree to getting an experienced keeper in to help him, but let Bart play every remaining game, give him another pre-season, and he'll rapidly get there. I feel he has a high ceiling in terms of quality, so we'd be silly to get rid.
Too risky IMO, and PL too brutal for on the job training as we’ve seen. He’s potential only at the moment really, what if he doesn’t fulfill, and I don’t want another couple of seasons with him making mistakes as part of a development chart. Rather we combine resources and get a much better seasoned keeper in and end this disastrous rotation exercise. Where’s Keeley when you need him?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The midfield has to be the prority but Pedro is not an out and out number 9. Welbeck, unfortunately, is injured a lot. Regardless of whether or not Ferguson comes good again next season, we all hope that happens of course, all three of them have had long periods this season when they've been injured, and we've seen what's happened, the goals dried up. So think we do need another option. Suspect the difficulty will be persuading that person to come and probably start on the bench, which is of course why Undav went as he didn't want to do that.
Massive summer ahead, let's see what happens.
The goals dried up when we lost Solly and Mitoma, not only did we lose their goal contribution we lost all the setups that they created. You cannot sell the likes of Trossard, Caicedo, and Alli Mac, then lose March, Mitoma, Hinshelwood, and then Pedro and expect to continue as if nothing had happened. We need quality back ups for Mitoma, March and the midfield needs Caeido and Mac replaced.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Stuttgart have already said that because the clause has risen to €20M (it was dependent on goals) they can’t afford him
But then reports following this that they are considering it.
I expect they may if they get Champions League football and someone triggers the release clause of c £20m for their other striker ( name eludes me at present). They wouldn’t want to be without both of their strikers next season.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Reports linking Mitoma to The Arse, Man City and Utd. If the offer is big enough the inevitable will happen so another possibly needs replacing
I’m just not sure that a team will pay enough this summer for him knowing that he’s been out with a bad back injury. Seems very high risk. We certainly won’t accept a knock down bid for him.
Also Olise is available for c £60m and a lot of big clubs are looking at him.
I think Mitoma’s injury may mean we keep him for another year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Welbeck is not injured a lot , he just not up to playing 2 games a week or completing a full 90 mins

The goals dried up when we lost Solly and Mitoma, not only did we lose their goal contribution we lost all the setups that they created. You cannot sell the likes of Trossard, Caicedo, and Alli Mac, then lose March, Mitoma, Hinshelwood, and then Pedro and expect to continue as if nothing had happened. We need quality back ups for Mitoma, March and the midfield needs Caeido and Mac replaced.
Of course - totally agree but the post was about whether we need another striker. My view is that IF Undav leaves we should bring someone else in. Others think we have enough with Welbeck, Ferguson and Pedro.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But what did we pay for Bissouma, 15m or something? Not loads more for Baleba, certainly not when counting transfer fee inflation

And all Bissouma had to do when he first came in was help keep us up (and initially he was behind Stephens and Propper in that job). We're looking for Baleba

Reckon £123m should just about cover it :thumbsup:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Out...... Milner, Moder, Lallana, Gross, Veltman, Fati.
In....Barkley, Dewsbury-Hall, Right Back and that fella in Germany, Undav looks pretty decent goalscorer.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We won't get Dewsbury-Hall, he'll be above our price bracket, have better options than us (Tottenham most likely) - and Naylor reported as much last week.
Since when did Levy spend a penny more, then he has too. We are in a fantastic position, in this up coming window and most teams will need to sell, to comply with the rules. After what happened with Everton and Forest, some clubs are going to be in no position to haggle.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Since when did Levy spend a penny more, then he has too. We are in a fantastic position, in this up coming window and most teams will need to sell, to comply with the rules. After what happened with Everton and Forest, some clubs are going to be in no position to haggle.

Levy signed Maddison from Leicester last Summer for £40m. We wouldn't pay £40 m in January, and offered £20 m. If it comes down to the player, is he going to push to join Brighton or his mate at Tottenham, who pay more and who will be playing European football next season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
KDH was a time in moment thing - we knew Leicester had FFP charges coming so tried a bid, they also had that other player the manager wanted but they couldn’t ‘afford’.

Now they are promoted + other interest I doubt we’ll be back in

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
KDH was a time in moment thing - we knew Leicester had FFP charges coming so tried a bid, they also had that other player the manager wanted but they couldn’t ‘afford’.

Now they are promoted + other interest I doubt we’ll be back in
We'll doubtless find another wunderkind from some neglected continent or other that we can buy for peanuts, put in the global shop window for 18 months then sell on for a handsome profit. Rejoice! Rejoice! :clap:

Might well be the club's business model. Doubtless is. Tho as a supporter I reserve the right to despise that business model. I want us to do it old skool. Build a great team, build it better by buying a couple of strategic 'marquee signings' over the summer and then kick on from there. Crazy talk obviously. My crazy 😵‍💫

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We'll doubtless find another wunderkind from some neglected continent or other that we can buy for peanuts, put in the global shop window for 18 months then sell on for a handsome profit. Rejoice! Rejoice! :clap:

Might well be the club's business model. Doubtless is. Tho as a supporter I reserve the right to despise that business model. I want us to do it old skool. Build a great team, build it better by buying a couple of strategic 'marquee signings' over the summer and then kick on from there. Crazy talk obviously. My crazy 😵‍💫
Unless we're one of the richest clubs in the league [Reality check: No, we're not], you may as well want us to build a great team by playing leprechauns kidnapped from the end of rainbows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here