[Albion] Swindon play off games

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Chippy's shot and goal was superb.
Mind you, Mark McGhee did say he'd rather be a lucky manager than a good one.

Away leg, we were all suffering from sunburn on the open terrace unless you were wearing a John Prescott mask, and the home game, we were drowned rats.

The Seagulls Special train to Cardiff was great fun. Ostensibly it was dry, but coming home, we must have emptied the off licenses near the station as it was awash with alcohol.
Yeh was great fun that train. Had a shed load of alcohol.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ah, Cardiff. Not since the Notts County playoff final had I seen us play in such a big stadium. When I stepped out into the arena I has something in my eye.

Dreadful game though,
Quite like Doncaster in the last match at the Goldstone and then Hereford the following week. Nerve shredding matches short on quality that also just happen to offer some of the very best memories we could wish for.

Weird, huh?

Last edited:

Chippy's shot and goal was superb.
Mind you, Mark McGhee did say he'd rather be a lucky manager than a good one.

Away leg, we were all suffering from sunburn on the open terrace unless you were wearing a John Prescott mask, and the home game, we were drowned rats.

The Seagulls Special train to Cardiff was great fun. Ostensibly it was dry, but coming home, we must have emptied the off licenses near the station as it was awash with alcohol.
I thought McGhee did a tactically superb job on them in the away leg but it all fell apart at Withdean as they had some quality players, dare I say it better quality than us, particularly in midfield. Then it was all about team spirit, and we eventually proved we had the edge on that. Tactically again we were excellent in the final nullifying what was a slighty stronger Bristol team.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We were behind the goal at the final in Cardiff. Can remember big Chris going down like a sack of spuds for the penalty late on. Also remember the celebrations afterwards with Dick Knight on the pitch.
My Dad and I were bang in the middle of the goal, 2nd row of the upper tier, so had a perfect view of Knight's penalty.

That made the hours of queueing at Withdean to purchase those randomly assigned tickets well worth it. That must have been a bit of Albion history right there, the last great queue for tickets. 😄

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
One of my favourite games I ever attended. Absolute madness at the end, everyone giving it LARGE to the Swindon fans whilst on the pitch. Coins chucked at us, including an old type 50p coin directed perfectly at my chest.
Brilliant night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Dad and I were bang in the middle of the goal, 2nd row of the upper tier, so had a perfect view of Knight's penalty.

That made the hours of queueing at Withdean to purchase those randomly assigned tickets well worth it. That must have been a bit of Albion history right there, the last great queue for tickets. 😄
We were right round to the left, within two blocks of the Bristol fans, which were sectioned off. A mate was determined to grab the ‘Better luck next year, Brighton‘ sheet at the end, but it mysteriously disappeared before the final whistle.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
IMG_0563.jpeg

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Went to the away leg but listened to the home leg on the radio. Don't remember ever being so tense. Luckily I had some vodka to hand to settle the nerves; one shot per successful penalty!

Odd that some of our best memories are a 91st v 92nd 1-1 draw and a league 1 play off semi final!

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Odd that some of our best memories are a 91st v 92nd 1-1 draw and a league 1 play off semi final!
We're Brighton.
We have spent the majority of our existence in the lower leagues.
Outside of the Premier League is our natural home, thanks to Tony Bloom we are punching above our weight to stay in it.
It's only natural that most of our memories ( amongst the older fans) are of achievements from our lower league days.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
The play off final was one of my best Albion days ever. To win a major game on a neutral pitch, with my kids in tow. (Wifey advised me I could not go as she had a weekend booked with friends. You think???) Thus having to look after the boys I stayed sober ish, and saw a lot more of the evening than I would have done otherwise. A top day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports