Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Responder

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just thinking on that, around 10-15 years ago all the reality progs of all types tried to pit people against each other. After suicides and the higher awareness of mental health in general, thankfully programs seem to have ditched trying to antagonise participants and manufacture feuds in favour of people helping and getting along with one another. Which makes for a nicer experience for everyone.

Mindful (with their lawyers) of the Jeremy Kyle Show and Love Island incidents?

Decades ago, if struggling to sleep, I sometimes watched some US and UK TV forerunners - The Phil Donahue Show and James Whale. Jerry Springer was a much later copycat of Donahue.

The format - get ordinary folk at each others throats on the stage (or in TV phone ins), provoke, with bouncers ready to step in at the last possible moment.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mindful (with their lawyers) of the Jeremy Kyle Show and Love Island incidents?

Decades ago, if struggling to sleep, I sometimes watched some US and UK TV forerunners - The Phil Donahue Show and James Whale. Jerry Springer was a much later copycat of Donahue.

The format - get ordinary folk at each others throats on the stage (or in TV phone ins), provoke, with bouncers ready to step in at the last possible moment.

Pretty grim back then.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is he driving around over the Mersey in Birkenhead? :D :whistle:

Funny you should say that. Just had a visit from the police because of a break in down the road a couple of nights ago. We live in a nice bit so I guess it’s always a possibility. I told the policeman we were just about to watch the Responder and he said Martin Freeman has a better scouse accent than he has :) He also said there were a few scenes shot in Birkenhead. Our daughter recognized New Brighton.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Obviously there will be artistic license but written by Tony Schumacher, a former police officer so should have some grounding in reality.

Guardian gives it five stars.

“The Responder is as fast and riveting as a thriller and as harrowing as a documentary. It says profound things about the toll frontline jobs can take on our compassion and our morals; how fragile every structure, from an individual’s psyche to society en masse, is without emotional, financial and political support; and what happens when we become uncoupled from each other and have nowhere to turn. If you are looking for a state-of-the-nation piece, it is here”.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....reeman-is-magnificent-in-tour-de-police-force

I liked it, depressing as it was, but found myself shouting at the screen “where’s your ****ing hat”... :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t think a copper, especially uniform could go around doing the things he does as blatantly as he does without getting pulled pretty quickly. But it’s entertaining.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Like many I found the first episode pretty hard going, but the Mrs persuaded me to persevere with it and I am very glad I did. Really enjoyed it more and more as we worked out way through the episodes and Martin Freeman is excellent. You wouldnt know it from the first episode but there was some amusing moments through the rest of the series too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Been meaning to watch it. Something to aviod is Trigger point, just awful.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
This. We watched Trigger Point and then The Responder back to back. They are night and day. Trigger Point is utter gash but The Responder is thoroughly absorbing from the opening scene and as has been said already, the acting is excellent (and not just Freeman).

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Gave up during the first episode, disliked it.

Why on earth is he driving around on his own, I thought Police Officers now went in pairs...

If you watch the Chanel 5 things like Traffic Cops or Motorway Cops they're usually on their own. I guess a combination of cutbacks and the fact that help is never far away have made that decision.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Like many I found the first episode pretty hard going, but the Mrs persuaded me to persevere with it and I am very glad I did. Really enjoyed it more and more as we worked out way through the episodes and Martin Freeman is excellent. You wouldnt know it from the first episode but there was some amusing moments through the rest of the series too.

I found the first episode quite amusing in places. Didn’t think it was as grim as some on here described. It’s inner city life. Really looking forward to episode 2 tonight.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I know this will go against the majority but me and the misses are about 30 mins into the first episode and are finding it really hard going. Very disjointed, difficult to understand the accents and so far no real story to get into.
Please tell us it gets better.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Will give it a go, don't mind most of Freeman's stuff, though he does come across as a bit of a knob when being interviewed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I found the first episode quite amusing in places. Didn’t think it was as grim as some on here described. It’s inner city life. Really looking forward to episode 2 tonight.

I agree. Lots of black humour. Like the old lady dead on the couch.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I find Freeman unconvincing as a copper; he doesn't exude any attitude or air of authority which isn't helped by him being the shortest person in every scene!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here