[Drinking] Tip your barstaff!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

For UK pubgoers, the biggest choices are generally straightforward: beer or whisky, draft or bottle, pint or half.

But now, beer-drinking Brits face a new and increasingly frequent quandary—to tip or not to tip.

Some of the country’s biggest pub chains are asking guests to top up the tab with a gratuity of 10% or more, making for awkward moments at the public house, an institution whose age-old appeal is ingrained in the reliable fabric of British tradition.

With pints regularly approaching the £7 price point they'll not be getting a tip from me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

For UK pubgoers, the biggest choices are generally straightforward: beer or whisky, draft or bottle, pint or half.

But now, beer-drinking Brits face a new and increasingly frequent quandary—to tip or not to tip.

Some of the country’s biggest pub chains are asking guests to top up the tab with a gratuity of 10% or more, making for awkward moments at the public house, an institution whose age-old appeal is ingrained in the reliable fabric of British tradition.

With pints regularly approaching the £7 price point they'll not be getting a tip from me.
So they're acknowledging that they're underpaying their staff then?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Don't t Canada - absolutely loads of shops add a 'tip option' when you pay.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most bars I go to I pay at the end; I always add tip.

Dec 29, 2011
Not in many retail shops, but almost everything else, yes. It's absolutely out of control. How society has decided which profession deserves a tip is beyond me, it seems to be "if it's a cool job, we can pressure you into tipping". Walmart employees provide a much better service but are content with minimum wage.

As an example, at a busy bar I bought a can of beer. They barman turned 180 degrees, grabbed a beer from the fridge and opened it for me. That ten seconds work apparently warranted a $1 tip. Based on how busy the bar was, he must have been serving about 60 beers an hour. That's $60/HR in tips, or to put it another way, a higher hourly wage than a doctor who spent 7 years at medical school.

Absurd.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems opportunistic, sneak in a tip payment on the card reader.

and £14.80 for two pints of lager ffs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not in many retail shops, but almost everything else, yes. It's absolutely out of control. How society has decided which profession deserves a tip is beyond me, it seems to be "if it's a cool job, we can pressure you into tipping". Walmart employees provide a much better service but are content with minimum wage.

As an example, at a busy bar I bought a can of beer. They barman turned 180 degrees, grabbed a beer from the fridge and opened it for me. That ten seconds work apparently warranted a $1 tip. Based on how busy the bar was, he must have been serving about 60 beers an hour. That's $60/HR in tips, or to put it another way, a higher hourly wage than a doctor who spent 7 years at medical school.

Absurd.
i've heard US side coffee shops and takeaways expecting tips for handing you cup or bag. it might be ushering in a pushback, especially where there is significant minimum wage, making the purpose of tipping invalid.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The grey line becomes when you have pubs that do both bar and table service. I think tipping is hugely important when I'm being waited on, but for a pub to expect tips when they are offering a bar/collection service is ludicrous.

The service industry should be better paid regardless of tipping: long hours, often having to deal with difficult people, and irregular working patterns. It's not an easy job.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm happy to tip the underpaid, I just can't be arsed to leave a review. I've taught thousands of children and decorated hundreds of houses and never asked for a review, yet buy a bracket for £1.05 on eBay and the seller uses my personal email address to hound me for a review.
Last year I ordered some work socks from eBay, tbh I had forgot about them in February whilst ordering something else I messaged the seller no response, a week later I left a bad review item didn’t arrive no feedback from seller.
The next thing I had the husband on the phone saying my review had damaged his wife’s business. WTF I paid for something I didn’t receive you f***ing clown it’s hardly my fault.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I recall being presented with a 10% service charge at an all you can eat self service Chinese buffet in Burgess Hill a few years back. The only service we had was a waitress bringing us one round of drinks (pint of post mix soft drinks £4 each) we questioned this and asked for it to be removed, which the manger didn’t like.

It was lost on him that paying £15 to serve one round of drinks to a group of 6 wasn’t proportionate or reasonable in any way , considering the drinks were charged at £24 alone.

Cash only as well - oh how we laughed

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I haven't really seen it in shops but I do find it annoying in somewhere like a bakery where you might order a coffee and also pick up a few groceries. They turn the terminal around and there are tip percentage options for the full bill, not just the coffee. Similar if you buy beers in a brewery to take home.

I've kind of set some ad-hoc rules for myself:
- I'll usually tip in a small, independent coffee shop. Starbucks have started giving the tip option but they can f*** right off.
- I'll tip in a bar if I'm getting table service and/or ordering food.
- They usually have 3 preset tip options on the card machine, if the minumum one is 20% or more (I often see 20, 22, 24 as the options) then I'll manually go in and enter a lower percentage. I've kind of accepted the tipping culture but don't take the piss and assume I'm giving you a high tip.

Canada is different to the US too. We do actually have a minumum wage for staff, so they don't completely rely on tips.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
In my retirement years,... early retirement, I helped out running the bar in a few pubs locally here in the west country. Currently doing 10-15 hours a week at a pub that does food,.. a good quality one that has table service for diners, drink and food,. Recently a table of 16, most had two courses, most had two drinks.... total tip... 30p from one old lady.. we have frequently had zero from tables paying bills of more than a hundred, great quality food and service, reasonable prices... no excuse.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Slippery slope, don’t do it.

Canada has become AWFUL and people customers are fed up of it now. Asked and sometimes pressured to tip for almost anything these days, with preset tip options at 20%+.

It’s pure greed on behalf of the business owners, so they don't have to pay appropriate wages, and pass the responsibility onto the customer.

In some cases (and I know this first hand) the store managers and/or owners will often take a large (50%) scoop out of the tips for themselves as a ‘bonus’, with the full tip amounts often not going to that particular server/employee.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Tipping is (or was) a thank you for exceptional service/going the extra mile, not for doing your job and certainly not to enable staff to be underpaid. I would love to see a campaign against ‘discretionary service charges’, I think it would be popular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports