Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It certainly is!

There are many, many laugh out load moments.

Two that come to mind:

1) ' 41 Denise '
2) His view about University Education being outdated and not needed anymore as we now have Wikipedia.

3 pages on the birth of his son, then a sentence at the end with "I also have a daughter." with a footnote at the bottom of the page – >called denise. Great continuity with references to all the early radio chat shows, the slots on The Day Today etc. Really enjoying it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
We Need to Talk About Alan, Alan Partridge, and it is laugh out loud funny.

I just finished this. I normally avoid TV biogs, but this is something completely different.
Brilliantly written. Not to be missed by the AGP fan

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I have recently been reading 'Crossfire' by Andy McNab (Ex SAS) all of his and Chris Ryan's books are very good to read, especialy the non-fiction one's; 'Bravo Two Zero' (McNab) and 'The one that got away' (Ryan). I highly recommend both authors!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have been working through all the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. It's a big pile. Just about to start The Affair, the latest.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I don't know if I have already mentioned this, but is anyone reading "Starter for Ten" by David Nicholls? It's hilarious!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have recently been reading 'Crossfire' by Andy McNab (Ex SAS) all of his and Chris Ryan's books are very good to read, especialy the non-fiction one's; 'Bravo Two Zero' (McNab) and 'The one that got away' (Ryan). I highly recommend both authors!

As much as I enjoyed Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away there has been much dispute over the 'non-fiction' nature of those books. There was a TV documentary a good few years back that exposed a few falsehoods in Bravo Two Zero.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As much as I enjoyed Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away there has been much dispute over the 'non-fiction' nature of those books. There was a TV documentary a good few years back that exposed a few falsehoods in Bravo Two Zero.

There is also a book The Real BravoTwo Zero by Michael Asher. He's quite well qualified to write about it. Quote on the back cover. "Infuriating" Andy McNab.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Finished
* Jason Manfords autobiography - very interesting read , tells alot of the stories in his stand up but fair play to him , nearly lost a great comedian to chucking it in after him and his other half lost their baby
* Notes from a small island - REALLY got into Bryson recently, this was great and his knowledge of the UK is fantastic
* Tale of two cities - it was enjoyable but needed to go back a few times to follow the story , that said my head wasn't completely focused on this one

Treated myself to "Football against the Enemy" and "Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius Of Dutch Football " , anyone read either of these? any good?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
"Physics of the Impossible - A Scientific Exploration of the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation and Time Travel" by Michio Kaku. Bloody good read, I love all that shit. Nearly finished it but will read it again straight away to try and help get my head round some of it!

Ps I'm not actually a nerd.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Moneyball. A big thumbs up from me. Before that I read Dance Dance Dance my Murakami. Excellent stuff.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Just finished 'A Study in Scarlet' the first Sherlock Holmes book, and read it on my new iphone. 3D Classic Literature app I found and it installs for free. Little book opens up on screen and you flick the pages past. Great read, now going to plough my way through loads more SH books on the app.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
At the moment I'm reading "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" as I've never actually read it before.
That's on the train but I'm reading the new Stephen King at home as that's hardback and too heavy to carry around
I'm enjoying both of them
Just finished "Walk the lines" by Mark Mason which is about his journey walking the London Underground overground passing every station on the way - absolutely fascinating. I love well written books about London
I've got what seems like hundreds of music biographies to work my way through too
No rest for the wicked !!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has anyone on here suceeding in reading this monster. A much lauded, but utterly impossible book. I'm on page 40 and thinking of giving up:

jesy.bmp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here