Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
How not to be a football millionaire - Keith Gillespie

Close to finishing it , honest and enjoyable

Gary Imlach's book. A great book. An honest and intelligent tribute to his father. With some fascinating insights into times gone by.

Great approaching brilliant, imagine today's Premier stars cycling home after training to get their tool bag and returning to fix some broken seats in the stand - he played in the equivalent division but in a very different time!

Currently reading "Four Men" by Hillaire Belloc.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just finished 'The Hate Game: Benn, Eubank and British Boxing's Bitterest Rivalry' by Ben Dirs. Tremendous read. As well as telling the story of the rivalry, the build-up and and the aftermath, it includes the views of the promoters, trainers, commentators and reporters around the fighters at the time. It doesn't pull any punches! (available in hardback and kindle only for now, paperback is out in the Summer)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Just started "Into the Silence" recommended above. Very interesting. Michael Gove might want to read the first few chapters on WW1.

I'm midway through that book too and entirely agree - Gove might find the first few chapters 'educating'.

I've read a fair amount of WW1 stuff but this book has some of the most graphic accounts of the western front I have read. I was surprised just how much of the book is devoted to this but together with their mainly public school and privileged backgrounds it explains why the climbers were such tough but flawed characters. Set against the backdrop of the final flings of the British Empire and all the colonial attitudes.

Nevertheless huge admiration for their efforts especially given the very basic mountaineering equipment available back then and lack of modern technology that contemporary Everest expeditions now enjoy -and still doesn't ensure safety.

I regret missing the documentary on BBC 3 or 4 earlier this week re the recent expedition to find out what really happened in 1924. Hopefully it will be repeated.

My next book is 'Inconvenient People - Lunacy, liberty and the Mad Doctors in Victorian England', should be interesting social history.

My previous book was 'The Rosie Project' - (fiction) about a University Professor with Aspergers syndrome who tries to find an ideal female partner. Gently amusing.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Just finished King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild. A really good read about unimaginable cruelty in the Belgian Congo. Europeans really ****ed up Africa.

Moving onto Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

Last edited:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Japan's Last Bid for Victory - the Invasion of India 1944 by Robert Lyman

Gripping account of the battles of Imphal and Kohima.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Thought I would try something out my comfort zone 'Beyond Evil' not a fiction book and in some ways worth a read.

Justice and society failed them two girls and their families, how could that monster not have been stopped before the inevitable.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Just finished 'The Fault in our stars' by John Green which is probably the most powerful and emotional book I ve read...well ever maybe

please read it

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I am currently trying to get through these three:

Cornish Archaeology Vol 50 - Various authors

Build Your Own Home - Tony Both & Mike Dyson

and for some lighter reading I am currently 1 chapter into

In One Person - John Irving (excellent author of The World According To Garp).

I have enjoyed Irvings books before, his intelligent and quirky take on sexuality is refreshing and ahead of it's time.

MuppetMaestro

Apr 22, 2013
Just finished Robert Elms The Way We Wore. Call the Midwife, as well as 432 Days the biography of the two Swedish journalists who were imprisoned by the Ethiopian government on terrorist charges for illegally entering the Ogaden region to write a article on the oil companies working there and their effects on the conflict in the region.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just finishing Stoner by John Williams. An absolutely mind-blowing book: the story itself is slight but what powerful writing.

London Belongs to Me is lined up next, just got it out of the library

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Having read Niccolo Ammaniti's three English-translated novels (The Crossroads being his best imho) I am now working my way through Shirley Jackson's back catalogue - We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Road Through the Wall are good reads and am now onto her short story collections - dark writing from a dark woman.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
51JBEEX1TCL.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here