Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do we come from ?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Hi folks,

I've got this really annoying client (twat) who claims we were founded by exiles from West Bromwich. I reckon this is utter tosh but I've got to be absolutely sure before I can tell him what a complete arse he is.

I've found a few bits and bobs that suggest we were founded by locals but nothing conclusive... can anyone point me in the direction of an authoritative source that covers this topic ?

Fingers crossed... I sooooo want him to be wrong.

Thanks for you help, darlings.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We were the product of a merge between Brighton United and Hove Athletic(?) I think.

I can't find my history book on Brighton, but we did originally play in Withdean.

One of our old nicknames was 'The Twins' as we are made up of twin towns. I bet that struck fear into the opposition.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If you buy the Albion miscellany there is a whole section on it.

They say the more likely reason is that Albion was a popular name in the town at the time, with the Albion hotel and pub and other places.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
The guy who founded us was called John jackson. I was believed that he had connections with West brom. Hence the Blue and White stripes. I believe this theory Is Not true. As someone stated above, The word Albion (which historically means England) was used alot in the town at the time (hotel, pub , street.) the owners of all these palces were involved in the formation of the club in 1901.

I sand to be correced though.

Nov 1897 - Brighton United formed. Played in the Southern League at Hove County Cricket Ground.

1900 - Brighton United goes out of business.

Brighton & Hove Rangers formed to play in the Southern League at Withdean.

Brighton & Hove Rangers disband.

24 June 2001 - Everest's great grandad meets some chums in the pub. After a few pints, they decide to form Brighton & Hove United to take the place of Brighton & Hove Rangers in the Southern League.

Hove FC don't like the name. So they change it to Brighton & Hove Albion.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Lord Bracknell said:

24 June 2001 - Everest's great grandad meets some chums in the pub. After a few pints, they decide to form Brighton & Hove United to take the place of Brighton & Hove Rangers in the Southern League.

Thats my brothers birthday that is!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:

2001 :eek:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
Nov 1897 - Brighton United formed. Played in the Southern League at Hove County Cricket Ground.

1900 - Brighton United goes out of business.

Brighton & Hove Rangers formed to play in the Southern League at Withdean.

Brighton & Hove Rangers disband.

Are you sure they didn't meet an hour earlier, at one minute past seven in the evening?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyhoo, Shuggie, the story is bollocks.

Tim Carder's book of the history of Brighton & Hove Albio suggests that there is absolutely no evidence to back up this theory, and that it has merely passed into the realms of urban myth. So yes, you're on safe territory if you let him know what a complete arse he is.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Where do we come from?

Hmmm! Well your mum and dad had a few drinks and :censored:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
NMH said:
Britain was called 'Albion' in ancient times, several hundred years ago.
It was named this, by prehistoric West Brom fans.

I believe Albion was the Gaul word for white and they called Britain it as the cliffs at Dover are white.

Welcome to NSC QI!

Shuggie said:
Hi folks,

I've got this really annoying client (twat) who claims we were founded by exiles from West Bromwich. I reckon this is utter tosh but I've got to be absolutely sure before I can tell him what a complete arse he is.

I've found a few bits and bobs that suggest we were founded by locals but nothing conclusive... can anyone point me in the direction of an authoritative source that covers this topic ?

Fingers crossed... I sooooo want him to be wrong.

Thanks for you help, darlings.
tellin some oe to suck a fart out of mymy arse usually ends any sirt of argument i hv e

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here