Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Just because you CAN contact PB, doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD. You admit to having contacted him on numerous occasions. Really? Don't know your circumstances, but there is one school of thought that might suggest that's a bit of an abuse of PB's willingness to engage directly on a one-to-one basis with whoever decides to write him an email, however lengthy and/or spurious. Personally I've only ever felt the urge to contact PB precisely ONCE, to congratulate him and his team members for the success of the trial event held in the summer. Just thought he might appreciate the feedback on a job well done

This is the 1st time I have contacted him with anything verging on the negative. Every other time has been relating to thank a particular member of staff or the club in general to offer positive feedback. So yes, I agree with you that he and his team would appreciate feedback when things have been done well (as they have been on the whole this year in particular).
In fact my email to him last week was to seek clarification on what had been agreed with the PPV deal. I don't see this as an abuse of his willingness as you put it. I wanted to try and see what the facts were so that I could be as informed as possible about a deal that, on the surface, did not seem particularly good for the customers - sorry, fans.
For what it's worth - I had not taken a payment holiday as I am lucky that my job has been stable and have been able to continue to make my season ticket payments throughout. I am not among the masses that is clamouring for refunds left right and centre. I do trust the club - however I am still allowed to have concerns, which is what I was trying to address.
Whether someone has emailed him once or 500 times, as long as the communication is courteous and respectful then the response should be likewise. My point is that saying that all our fans want something for nothing (which isn't true) and blaming any negative responses to hysteria on social media (again, not true) when many other people have valid concerns and questions, is in my opinion unfortunate & unprofessional. If others feel that these responses to customers / fans is appropriate then so be it - all I know is that in my job if I responded to queries in this manner then my employment would be rather short lived.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What do you suggest the Albion should be doing differently? Opt out of the PPV, thereby denying those that are willing to pay watching the game? Or maybe you think that they should provide it as a free service to season ticket holders and pay the costs themselves?

How would YOU deal with it?

* Cheaper prices

* A small supplement on existing monthly TV subscriptions

* An option to pay a flat fee for Albion matches each month

* A discount for Albion STHers (or take it off money already paid)

Just some of the options which could have been discussed in a fan consultation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not qualified in football economics nor accountancy, but I have read the opinion of a dullard who is.

You have side stepped the question, how would you or a dullard deal with it? You obviously feel very strongly about it so what do you suggest the club do?

Saying you don't like how it's being dealt with is too easy, if you can't offer an alternative.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As things stand most on DD have paid 50% of their season ticket and with the DD scheme over 12 months for a 10 month season it equates to 40% of the season or just under 8 games.

Albion v West Brom is game 3 of those so yes we have already paid for it as things stand

This is being promised to change in the future when the payments are reallocated / adjusted / rebated etc but unless they allow us to pay the £15 at this later date the fact still stands we have paid for this game and to watch it will need to pay again.

If you had already paid for the West Brom game via your season ticket money, the Albion would deduct £40 odd from your season ticket pot. In your words 'as things stand', has that happened to you? I rather doubt it. You haven't paid for anything yet, simply lodged funds with the club towards a match when we are able to attend. The debate over when or if those funds are applied to a game or returned if not used is another matter, but it wasn't your point. You will have no less money after the West Brom match lodged with the Abion than today. If you choose to pay once on PPV, then go for it. I am.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is the 1st time I have contacted him with anything verging on the negative. Every other time has been relating to thank a particular member of staff or the club in general to offer positive feedback. So yes, I agree with you that he and his team would appreciate feedback when things have been done well (as they have been on the whole this year in particular).
In fact my email to him last week was to seek clarification on what had been agreed with the PPV deal. I don't see this as an abuse of his willingness as you put it. I wanted to try and see what the facts were so that I could be as informed as possible about a deal that, on the surface, did not seem particularly good for the customers - sorry, fans.
For what it's worth - I had not taken a payment holiday as I am lucky that my job has been stable and have been able to continue to make my season ticket payments throughout. I am not among the masses that is clamouring for refunds left right and centre. I do trust the club - however I am still allowed to have concerns, which is what I was trying to address.
Whether someone has emailed him once or 500 times, as long as the communication is courteous and respectful then the response should be likewise. My point is that saying that all our fans want something for nothing (which isn't true) and blaming any negative responses to hysteria on social media (again, not true) when many other people have valid concerns and questions, is in my opinion unfortunate & unprofessional. If others feel that these responses to customers / fans is appropriate then so be it - all I know is that in my job if I responded to queries in this manner then my employment would be rather short lived.

He's probably regretting his choice of words......but again, he's (according to twitter anyway) been deluged with ranty emails from numerous fans (customers) who still can't grasp the difference between how ST payments will be treated and PPV so personally I'd let him off a single angry reply.

How many 'facts of the deal' did you expect him to disclose ? Imagine anything other than what he's already said publicly would be deemed commercially sensitive anyway.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
* Cheaper prices

* A small supplement on existing monthly TV subscriptions

* An option to pay a flat fee for Albion matches each month

* A discount for Albion STHers (or take it off money already paid)

Just some of the options which could have been discussed in a fan consultation.

How many of those options can the Albion implement?

Cheaper prices for what?

The supplement was not up to individual clubs to decide was it?

Don't we already pay a flat fee for season tickets? Or is that a suggestion for televising all Albion games? If so how much control do the club have on prices charged?

Yes, they could take it off money paid already, probably a bit admin heavy but that's their problem to sort.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have side stepped the question, how would you or a dullard deal with it? You obviously feel very strongly about it so what do you suggest the club do?

Saying you don't like how it's being dealt with is too easy, if you can't offer an alternative.

I don't know is the honest answer. My actions at the moment are to walk away after 60 years of supporting the Albion.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
It's really not - it's been made very clear that cash balance held will be used to pay for games we actually attend.

Unless you're attending the West Brom game, and I suspect you are not, you are not being charged by the club for it.

By this logic you could order and pay for something online and be told

"thanks for paying, but we can't give it to you now we will keep your money and send you something like it in the future, however we don't know when that will be. But don't worry you haven't been charged for it"

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
He's probably regretting his choice of words......but again, he's (according to twitter anyway) been deluged with ranty emails from numerous fans (customers) who still can't grasp the difference between how ST payments will be treated and PPV so personally I'd let him off a single angry reply.

How many 'facts of the deal' did you expect him to disclose ? Imagine anything other than what he's already said publicly would be deemed commercially sensitive anyway.

I would hope that he is, as it isn't reflective on how he normally carries himself at all.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Equating Brighton being part of a group charging for access to watch live games that would not ordinarily be televised and (as they will) repaying season ticket payments, with Brighton being eviscerated by Bill Archer is grotesque and absurd.

Some people need to grow up :shrug:

Or you stop denigrating people for their personal views based on their personal circumstances of which you know nothing about? I can’t afford to wait until the club deign to refund me for something which I have struggled to carry on paying in good faith at a time when the money really would make a significant difference. It’s then up to me whether or not I take some of that rebate/refund to pay for the stream for the games I want to watch - which if I did it Barber’s way would right now mean paying twice for the same product - the central crux for many here...

Personally all I’ve ever said is that for a slick CEO his responses on so many levels ignore basic customer service rules. He has made no attempt to understand why so many people feel so strongly about this or engage with us - he still continues to talk down to us rather than engage which I find incredibly patronising.

Yes I know the club is a business but contextually supporter income (outside of corporate hospitality) is much lower % than clubs outside the Prem - hopefully a fact that is universally agreed upon. So whilst we of course understand times are hard it’s a tad egregious to claim poverty when we’re spending £10m on two players we won’t use or see the benefit of for a year.

I’m not excusing any abusive emails he may have received, that’s crazy and people should know better but he really needs to understand this is a hugely emotive issue.

Fans spend great amounts and in many cases a vastly high % of their income following their team and right now they’re prioritising that because sport is offering a way of escaping this mental hell hole that Covid has thrown us into. To tell those people they need to effectively pay twice [where refunds are yet to be sanctioned/processed] in the current circumstances is wrong IMO.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know is the honest answer. My actions at the moment are to walk away after 60 years of supporting the Albion.

Can I suggest that there is no way in hell that you'll do that once the dust has settled? :smile:

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If you had already paid for the West Brom game via your season ticket money, the Albion would deduct £40 odd from your season ticket pot. In your words 'as things stand', has that happened to you? I rather doubt it. You haven't paid for anything yet, simply lodged funds with the club towards a match when we are able to attend. The debate over when or if those funds are applied to a game or returned if not used is another matter, but it wasn't your point. You will have no less money after the West Brom match lodged with the Abion than today. If you choose to pay once on PPV, then go for it. I am.

The reason I said as things stand is because like you say we are being asked to pay £15 to watch the game while they are retaining the funds we have paid specifically for this purpose, so it is relevant and part of the same point.

Bottom line, If you pay for PPV in the absence of a refund prior to the payment, you will have paid twice.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The reason I said as things stand is because like you say we are being asked to pay £15 to watch the game while they are retaining the funds we have paid specifically for this purpose, so it is relevant and part of the same point.

Bottom line, If you pay for PPV in the absence of a refund prior to the payment, you will have paid twice.

So about £40 will come out of your season ticket pot and £14-95 if you pay for PPV? No. Your pot will still be intact and if you don't do PPV you won't see the match and it won't cost you anything.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good analogy.

And the answer is if you don't fancy paying for it, don't :shrug:

I'm beginning to think that this is just a spoof wind-up merchant account now.

You are fortunate indeed that you can afford to pay the PPV charge. You are crassly over-looking those who CAN'T afford to pay the additional charge. All very well adopting the "I'm all right jack" modality whilst perched atop your ivory tower.

Yes, we know you can afford to pay it. We got that now. Jolly good ol' chap.

Some are not awash with extra cash. Some won't ever have been. Others will have lost their jobs as a result of the virus whilst others will be trying to save every last penny for fear that they won't have their job for much longer.

You clearly have no empathy at all for those who are not resident in the financial wonderland that you live in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I guess you can look at it that way.....but you can equally view it as having deposited some money with the club to cover the cost of tickets in advance, which will be refunded if you don't get any. I'll pay for PPV, and I've loaned a bit of money to the club (with a clear statement that this will be returned if I don't get a ticket). I haven't paid for anything twice - legally, contractually or otherwise - in my view.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm beginning to think that this is just a spoof wind-up merchant account now.

You are fortunate indeed that you can afford to pay the PPV charge. You are crassly over-looking those who CAN'T afford to pay the additional charge. All very well adopting the "I'm all right jack" modality whilst perched atop your ivory tower.

Yes, we know you can afford to pay it. We got that now. Jolly good ol' chap.

Some are not awash with extra cash. Some won't ever have been. Others will have lost their jobs as a result of the virus whilst others will be trying to save every last penny for fear that they won't have their job for much longer.

You clearly have no empathy at all for those who are not resident in the financial wonderland that you live in.

The personal circumstances point is a good one.................and hasn't really been addressed in any comms. You'd hope the club are looking at ways to alleviate that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest, has anyone asked the club for their retained STH funds back and, if so, what was the response?

Lots of people complaining about being charged twice, which I disagree with as stated, but I'm wondering what they've personally done to remedy that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How many of those options can the Albion implement?

Cheaper prices for what?

The supplement was not up to individual clubs to decide was it?

Don't we already pay a flat fee for season tickets? Or is that a suggestion for televising all Albion games? If so how much control do the club have on prices charged?

Yes, they could take it off money paid already, probably a bit admin heavy but that's their problem to sort.

You asked how Albion should be doing differently.

I listed options which could have been put to the Premer League panel, or been implemented by the Albion.

It all comes back to fan consulation - or lack of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here