Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20-30 tonight. Lockdown

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm slightly confused with what to do.
As a plumber I get called to many urgent jobs, people staying at home will need a working toilet and water.
I definitely wouldn't go out if someone just fancied a new kitchen tap, but an OAP with a water leak in their property is something I feel I would have to go and help.

Funnily enough I’m supposed to have the water men come on April 9th to trace a leak between my meter and stop tap, as we’ve received a £400 bill when there’s only 2 of us in the house. The stop tap was turned off and the meter was still whizzing round.
I’m hoping then leak is in the garden and not under the house.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Funnily enough I’m supposed to have the water men come on April 9th to trace a leak between my meter and stop tap, as we’ve received a £400 bill when there’s only 2 of us in the house. The stop tap was turned off and the meter was still whizzing round.
I’m hoping then leak is in the garden and not under the house.

Is the ground floor of your house solid ( concrete ) or do you have floorboards?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
It will be for sometime. Expect it to be longer. Restrictions of movement was supposed to end here today. New date is April 1st. Its pretty surreal. In public you have to wear some sort of face covering. 600 quid fine for not doing so. Talk from government of Czech borders being closed for 2 YEARS. Only one death so far and he was 95. The first 5 or 6 victims have recovered.
Confirmed Cz cases up to 1,236, with 71 in the past 12 hours

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had to ask next door, and it’s concrete. I’m dreading it, to be honest.

I can understand your concern.
I have seen leaks in concrete floors and the water does sometimes rise up, so floor covering will be wet, also I have seen walls getting damp.

Is your inside stoptap near the front or back wall of your home? For example if your kitchen is at the back is the stoptap under the sink?
If the answer is yes, is the outside stoptap inline, in the pavement the kitchen side of the house?

I have worked in some houses near you and I'm sure the stoptap is in the corner of the kitchen.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmm. What about separated parents who only see their kids occasionally. Earlier today that was under essential travel.

Now. Not so sure [emoji3525]

My daughter was due to be with me this past weekend but, due to social distancing, I didn’t see her and won’t expect to until we are out of the woods.

Ridiculously tough as it is, “mixing households” is how the spread will happen, and we have to do what we can.

Michael Gove on BBC Breakfast has just clarified this saying children under 18 can transfer from one parent to the other, taking proper precautions such as hand washing etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can understand your concern.
I have seen leaks in concrete floors and the water does sometimes rise up, so floor covering will be wet, also I have seen walls getting damp.

Is your inside stoptap near the front or back wall of your home? For example if your kitchen is at the back is the stoptap under the sink?
If the answer is yes, is the outside stoptap inline, in the pavement the kitchen side of the house?

I have worked in some houses near you and I'm sure the stoptap is in the corner of the kitchen.

The stop tap is about 2 feet to the right of the sink. Yes the meter is in line.

I’ve checked with my household insurance and it’s a £350 excess. My kitchen floor is slate tiles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Theres a student house 2 doors down from dads house, they've all gone home and theres nearly £700 worth of materials there. Landlord wants me to carry on retiling kitchen floor, re silicone sealing bathrooms, altering a few pipes ect, probably a weeks work on my own there, or do I leave it?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

in an empty house? sounds perfect, crack on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Regarding garages, Gove has confirmed they can stay open.

Ashley is insisting Sports Direct has to stay open and all his workers are on zero hours. It is not an essential store.

Edit Ashley has just climbed down.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Michael Gove on BBC Breakfast has just clarified this saying children under 18 can transfer from one parent to the other, taking proper precautions such as hand washing etc.

You can’t take “proper precautions” though. If someone has it and is not yet showing any symptoms then they can spread it.

If someone from one household spends a bit of time in another household then the virus could be transferred either way. That’s how the spread works.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can’t take “proper precautions” though. If someone has it and is not yet showing any symptoms then they can spread it.

If someone from one household spends a bit of time in another household then the virus could be transferred either way. That’s how the spread works.

I don’t disagree, but was relaying what a government minister has just said.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cheers chap, I'm not even sure if we'll be allowed to go up the plot, under the new restrictions, as we are about a mile away from it.
Walking up there is fine, but staying and doing any work will be another thing, there's always someone who'll report....

Clarification from Gove - allotments are ok.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The stop tap is about 2 feet to the right of the sink. Yes the meter is in line.

I’ve checked with my household insurance and it’s a £350 excess. My kitchen floor is slate tiles.

I would guess the leak is outside of the house if there is no sign of water or damp in the kitchen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You know the country is in crisis when even Michael Gove comes across as sensible and informative on the tellybox!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Inevitable and needed. A clear set of instructions that even the dumbest among us can undertsand.

But, Christ, it feels weird doesn't it? All of us, ordered by the Government to subject ourselves to virtual house arrest. I fully support the reasons and will comply fully, but that deosn't stop it feeling completely surreal. The very idea that I just can't jump in my car and go where I want, or see who I want. The fact that these four walls and my garden will be pretty much my entire world for the foreseeable future. Not through choice or incapacity, but because the governnment have said so.

Yup, tonight the world feels very strange. Good luck everybody.

Yep, it all seems very Kafka-esque at the moment with the authorities wielding their powers to exert complete control over everybody. Having said that, in the present circumstances there is no other option and as a healthcare worker life for me is simply Home to Job, Job to Home (within walking distance) and shopping for food once a week, hoping I don't catch this thing so I can continue to do my bit. It didn't take too long to get my head around the weird reality we're all living in, but I'll be glad to come out the other side so we can all regain some personal freedom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here